7-aaa offseason thread

Texmex9

So Swami , is 4-6 acceptable in your book ? 

I can't speak for Swami, but knowing what I know about 2013 season, it was acceptable to me.

1) Recent zone change:   http://www.rcschools.net/education/page/download.php?fileinfo=UkhTMjAxMy5wZGY6Ojovd3d3NS9zY2hvb2xzL3RuL3J1dGhlcmZvcmRjb3VudHkvaW1hZ2VzL2RvY21nci9BTExmaWxlMjU3MC5wZGY=&sectiondetailid=16371

Riverdale has become almost a 'rural' school.  Look at the current zone.  Look North and Northeast.  Those areas were once hotbeds of talent to Riverdale for years.  With recent opening of the new Stewarts Creek High School, the domino effect of zone changes to Stewarts Creek shifted these areas to Blackman, Siegel and Oakland.

2) Injuries. Lost several key players, including some seniors counted on for big contributions, like offensive lineman Rakis Ivy, before the season even started.

3) Youth. Freshman QB. Sophomore running backs.  Young defense.  Woodruff, Boykin and several other great seniors last year left a huge void at a bad time for that to happen.

4) Great kids, but not enough of them. Senior Tad Onwu is an awesome young man and great football player. I could name others but would leave some deserving kids out.

5) Schedule. All 4 non-district teams we played made the post-season. Perhaps scheduling 4 'A' or 'cupcakes' and going 8-2 and making post-season?  Hmm.......  So 8 of 10 teams we played made the post-season this year. 

6) Great freshmen - improved as year went on. Several contributed late in the season, especially on defense. 

7) Numbers - on a different thread I opined that IMHO 'numbers' just to have 'numbers' is overrated.  When my son played from 1994-1997 we dressed 90-100.  About 60-70 never had a chance of seeing varsirty action. I pondered that our low numbers may be a combination of

a. 600+ kids sent to Blackman?

b. Other activities now?   Rugby?  Ultimate Frisbee?  Bowling?  etc?  Activities that exist now for those 60-70 kids that didn't exist 20 years ago?

c. More kids working jobs now to help their families?

d. Eagleville football program?  When my son played Eagleville did not offer football. Other areas of county do not have other 'A' high school as an option.

e.  Central Magnet - how many of those 60-70 kids are putting academics ahead of being on a football team now?

f. ????

I can assure you no D-1 football players are walking the hallways at Riverdale but not playing. 

Great coaches. Awesome kids.  Fun to be around.   And can't wait for 2014.  Should be a fun year.....

Edited by davidlimbaugh

I can't speak for Swami, but knowing what I know about 2013 season, it was acceptable to me.

1) Recent zone change:   http://www.rcschools.net/education/page/download.php?fileinfo=UkhTMjAxMy5wZGY6Ojovd3d3NS9zY2hvb2xzL3RuL3J1dGhlcmZvcmRjb3VudHkvaW1hZ2VzL2RvY21nci9BTExmaWxlMjU3MC5wZGY=&sectiondetailid=16371

Riverdale has become almost a 'rural' school.  Look at the current zone.  Look North and Northeast.  Those areas were once hotbeds of talent to Riverdale for years.  With recent opening of the new Stewarts Creek High School, the domino effect of zone changes to Stewarts Creek shifted these areas to Blackman, Siegel and Oakland.

2) Injuries. Lost several key players, including some seniors counted on for big contributions, like offensive lineman Rakis Ivy, before the season even started.

3) Youth. Freshman QB. Sophomore running backs.  Young defense.  Woodruff, Boykin and several other great seniors last year left a huge void at a bad time for that to happen.

4) Great kids, but not enough of them. Senior Tad Onwu is an awesome young man and great football player. I could name others but would leave some deserving kids out.

5) Schedule. All 4 non-district teams we played made the post-season. Perhaps scheduling 4 'A' or 'cupcakes' and going 8-2 and making post-season?  Hmm.......  So 8 of 10 teams we played made the post-season this year. 

6) Great freshmen - improved as year went on. Several contributed late in the season, especially on defense. 

7) Numbers - on a different thread I opined that IMHO 'numbers' just to have 'numbers' is overrated.  When my son played from 1994-1997 we dressed 90-100.  About 60-70 never had a chance of seeing varsirty action. I pondered that our low numbers may be a combination of

b. Other activities now?   Rugby?  Ultimate Frisbee?  Bowling?  etc?  Activities that exist now for those 60-70 kids that didn't exist 20 years ago?

d. Eagleville football program?  When my son played Eagleville did not offer football. Other areas of county do not have other 'A' high school as an option.

e.  Central Magnet - how many of those 60-70 kids are putting academics ahead of being on a football team now?

f. ????

I can assure you no D-1 football players are walking the hallways at Riverdale but not playing. 

Great coaches. Awesome kids.  Fun to be around.   And can't wait for 2014.  Should be a fun year.....

I think the last zone change had more of an effect 4-5 years ago than this one did. There were only 300-400 kids moved to Blackman, and there might be one kid on the football team out of those.

I think the last zone change had more of an effect 4-5 years ago than this one did. There were only 300-400 kids moved to Blackman, and there might be one kid on the football team out of those.

Last zone change was bigger :)    My 600(?) was Blackman(?) because some also were rezoned to Siegel and Oakland (see link above for latest zone map).    If 2000 kids means 50(?) then my guess is 600(?) means 10-12? potential players?  See my math?    :geek:

David, there are kids that started on the team this year that quit that are roaming the halls. they do not want to play for this staff. true, zoning has a part in the whole situation, but most of it is the coaches. we have D1 kids starting for Oakland,that drive past Riverdale every day because they didn't want to play in this scheme. that being said, we still have had enough talent the last eight years to win a couple of gold balls.

So Swami , is 4-6 acceptable in your book ? 

Most who want to see wins and only wins would say no. I have something a little different to say.

I would say knowing the decimation of the Riverdale zone would have a drastic effect on the football team at some point, it was just a matter of time. Anyone with a tiny bit of sense and forethought could see this coming from years away and it wouldnt matter who the coach is. It was going to happen, no matter what. Now Riverdale football has a baseline year to grow from. Plain and simple. The politics of redrawing zoning lines by several who had motives other than equitable distribution and transportation of students has taken its affect, Riverdale is figuring out how to cope with it, and the will recover and grow going forward. 

Knowing that, YES 4-6 is acceptable. A lesser coach would have had a 1 win season this year after a string of 2 or 3 win seasons. Aydelott did a great job of delaying the inevitable as long as possible, but it was inevitable none the less. 

David, there are kids that started on the team this year that quit that are roaming the halls. they do not want to play for this staff. true, zoning has a part in the whole situation, but most of it is the coaches. we have D1 kids starting for Oakland,that drive past Riverdale every day because they didn't want to play in this scheme. that being said, we still have had enough talent the last eight years to win a couple of gold balls.

Kids that roam the hall and don't have the heart for the game to play no matter who is on the staff do not have the heart to win gold balls. 

f. ????

Great  post from the informed inside.

Unfortunately, most on here would rather hear rants from uniformed outsiders. It is a great indication of current American society as a whole that folks will only accept wins from children's games, listen only to the loudest and meanest mouths, find ways to discredit those with the most knowledge and expertise, whine and complain from the outside, try to convince others to whine and complain, insult and berate those that are actually doing the work, and find a scapegoat for everything that is wrong. 

Ever wonder what is going wrong with this country? A few of you Riverdale folks have been providing great examples. 

Swami, that is easy to say looking from the outside, but until your around the program you really have no voice in the matter. I don't always agree with LOD, but he is closer to the truth than David. I guess David is looking thru rose colored glasses. It is time for a change.

We all have our opinions. Your's just happens to be wrong and out of touch. Thanks for your attempt to discredit the guy that is closer to the situation than any of us. David is looking through the glasses of the informed and realistic. You are looking through the rose colored glasses because you expect wins without talent and gold balls without players with the heart to win them who are walking the halls. 

You sound like you are campaigning for Obama. Hope and change. That didn't work out very good for the country either. Only the idiots that wallow in ignorance think that was a good move for America. Take your glasses off, or at least get your eyes checked. Blind ignorance greatly decreases credibility. 

But, to stop the ignorance and give you what you want, perhaps a new coach is just what is needed. Expect a longer road to recovery when you get what you ask for. Just ask UT how it has gone for them. 

We all have our opinions. Your's just happens to be wrong and out of touch. Thanks for your attempt to discredit the guy that is closer to the situation than any of us. David is looking through the glasses of the informed and realistic. You are looking through the rose colored glasses because you expect wins without talent and gold balls without players with the heart to win them who are walking the halls. 

You sound like you are campaigning for Obama. Hope and change. That didn't work out very good for the country either. Only the idiots that wallow in ignorance think that was a good move for America. Take your glasses off, or at least get your eyes checked. Blind ignorance greatly decreases credibility. 

But, to stop the ignorance and give you what you want, perhaps a new coach is just what is needed. Expect a longer road to recovery when you get what you ask for. Just ask UT how it has gone for them. 

"Hope & change" certainly worked out better than "dopey and rage" (aka bush-2 & cheney)

I'll take the Dow Jones at an all time high vs. losing half it's value under shrub jr. any day.

bushfail.jpg

Edited by nrgrizzlies