Tri-cities Linquistics 101: definition of "Knoxville"

blazer1set

For purposes of football discussions, whenever a tri-cities person talks about "Knoxville" it hereby means:  Knoxville proper, Knox County, and all high schools within the boundaries of Maryville to the south, Farragut and Oak Ridge to the West, Powel to the North and Sevierville to the East.

Examples:

"There we go again, you just can't beat them thar Knoxville teams..."

"Oh yeah, well down there in Knoxville they recruit players..."

"Recruit?!   Balderdash, them Knoxville teams pay their players..."

"How do you get a Knoxville player off your front porch?       Ya pay for da pizza, hardee-har-har.."

Tri-cities posters - happy Thanksgiving and we'll see you guys on coacht next year, I suspect most of us will be dropping off soon.   DB and SH fans, since the Big7 is dissolved keep us up to date next year with what's going on and best of luck against all them thar Knoxville teams in 2015

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Ridge is NOT part of Knoxville or Knox county and doesn't want to be . We are Oak Ridge and PROUD of it and are in Anderson county,and  so are Clinton and Anderson County High schools.

Oh and my Dad went to Science Hill  and my Mom went to Lamarr (sp) this was on the 1930's.

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL

Oak Ridge is NOT part of Knoxville or Knox county and doesn't want to be . We are Oak Ridge and PROUD of it and are in Anderson county,and  so are Clinton and Anderson County High schools.

Oh and my Dad went to Science Hill  and my Mom went to Lamarr (sp) this was on the 1930's.

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL

Of course you're not part of Knoxville, that's the whole point of this thread.... to redefine "Knoxville" when used by a tri-cities person.     Every time a tri-cities team gets beat by someone down your way its "Well you just can't beat them Knoxville teams", which vaguely means any team closer to Knoxville than to tri-cities

You guys are coming to Kingsport next year, right?

Hey just making a point, we don't care for the Knoxville mentality some folks have in this area . Having spent some time on a farm just out of Telford I know what you're saying.

And yes we're coming up to Kingsport second week next year. We have Clinton first week (week 0). So you all will have to be nice to our poor weak little boys. We're losing half our team, 22 seniors. We'll be lucky to be able to field a team next year. 

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL

Well it looks like the title games for 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A each feature a "Knoxville" team.     Oh BTW, I have even heard someone from tri-cities grumbling about losing to a Knoxville team and it turned out to be Morristown West......       basically if you beat us and you're not from the tri-cities then your labeled as Knoxville.         I could see 4 gold balls coming back to Knoxville this year, what do you guys think?

Sure looks like it, plus don't forget Webb in the privates. They play thursday for a Gold Ball.

The problem we have with Knoxville is the local press doesn't give any credit to schools out side town, until all the K town schools are gone, then they want to lay claim to them. Hey guess we just need to get over it, and move on. 

Sure looks like it, plus don't forget Webb in the privates. They play thursday for a Gold Ball.

The problem we have with Knoxville is the local press doesn't give any credit to schools out side town, until all the K town schools are gone, then they want to lay claim to them. Hey guess we just need to get over it, and move on. 

Same thing up here, DB gets all the press in Kingsport (Sullivan County) while Sullivan South is hardly mentioned, and South always gets deeper into the playoffs.      The Johnson City Press covers Science Hill but barely mentions the Washington County schools, although this is pretty well justified because the county schools (Boone and Crockett) aren't that good.     Except for the big fight this year after the Musket bowl, that got a lot of press unfortunately.....