Brian Brown stays at McNairy Central

Macnarry

For the last 20+ years Aville has dominated boy's basketball in McNairy County as far as wins, district championships, region championships, substate births, and state tournament appearances.  There is no argument who has had more success since the early 90's.  McNairy was dominate in the late 70's and throughout the 80's.  The Blue and Yellow have had some talented players in the last decade or so.  Their district is absolutely brutal, and could be one of the best districts in the state.  Aville and MCHS will not be playing for several years in any sports, because of the JEALOUSY FACTOR.

Adamsville hasn't dominated anything in basketball.  Since the days of the Hoover boys they haven't been able to get out of the first round of the region.  No jealously in this sport.  Period.  But that is not this thread.

MCHS talent level is down and they do play in a monster district, teams that win state championships, Bolivar, Southside, Liberty used to be in the district, and Fayette Ware has as much talent as any one in the state.  It is brutal and the bobcats will struggle .  Back when McNairy dominated Bolivar was AAA and LIberty didn't exist.  The talent pool has dwindled.

Brown will never rebuild the program.  His style of coaching and negativity towards players will not turn this program around.  Every one says he turned Hardin Co around but that had alot more to do with the cream puffs on his schedule and some talented kids that were coming through as he arrived like Will Shelton.  

Bobcats are in trouble this year.   Be lucky to win 5 games against what I am sure is a weaker out of district schedule with Brown in charge

Edited by Bobcats83

Adamsville hasn't dominated anything in basketball.  Since the days of the Hoover boys they haven't been able to get out of the first round of the region.  No jealously in this sport.  Period.  But that is not this thread.

MCHS talent level is down and they do play in a monster district, teams that win state championships, Bolivar, Southside, Liberty used to be in the district, and Fayette Ware has as much talent as any one in the state.  It is brutal and the bobcats will struggle .  Back when McNairy dominated Bolivar was AAA and LIberty didn't exist.  The talent pool has dwindled.

Brown will never rebuild the program.  His style of coaching and negativity towards players will not turn this program around.  Every one says he turned Hardin Co around but that had alot more to do with the cream puffs on his schedule and some talented kids that were coming through as he arrived like Will Shelton.  

Bobcats are in trouble this year.   Be lucky to win 5 games against what I am sure is a weaker out of district schedule with Brown in charge.

Clearly, you don't know anything about Adamsville Basketball.  Since the Hoovers, the Cardinals have been to the State Tournament in '99, won the Sectionals, District, and Region in the same year.  District and Regional Champs in 2000, 2001, Sub-State births in '01,'02,'03, and '04.  2011 the Cards were ranked #2 in the state for the whole year and lost in the Regional Semi's.  From 1992 to 2013 the Cards have dominated basketball in McNairy County.  I can show you head-to-head if I need to.

You are correct that Selmer High is going to struggle for several years to come.  On that we can agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I would like to see head to head for the last 10 years. 

The bobcats will struggle this year but so will the cardinals.  Won't beat TCA or Middleton, those games will be blow outs.  Big ones.

Back to the question, can Brown get the job done

The head to head over the last 10 years is Adamsville 12 wins and Selmer High has 7 wins.  One game was cancelled due to bad weather.  Both teams will struggle this year.  No doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

As long as Brian Brown is the head coach at Mcnairy, the program will not get its head above the water. He is a washed up coach that does not know how to motivate his players and his current players either hate him or don't play hard for him. There's no talent now at MCHS and some of their best talent will simply not play. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but until he is fired or quits there will be no recovery

I agree totally.  Talent level is down and he doesn't know how to motivate the players.  Negative Negative Negative is all they ever hear. 

• 3 weeks later...

negative may be all they hear because all he sees is negative. not much to be positive about and that's being honest. brown is a good coach what everyone here is forgetting is that its not his coaching style that has changed. its the kids he is coaching. that goes for everywhere and at all levels. kids cant take negativity and turn it into something positive like 20 years ago. kids today are too pacified and babied by parents (the ones that live with parents). 20 years ago it was called mens basketball now its more often than not referred to as boys basketball. kids cant mentally take being challenged they will just quit and go home. maybe brown should adapt his coaching style, or maybe parents should tell their kids to man up and take some criticism and use it as motivation to get better. basketball nor life is easy when the going gets tough, the tough better get their ####e$ in gear.

The head to head over the last 10 years is Adamsville 12 wins and Selmer High has 7 wins.  One game was cancelled due to bad weather.  Both teams will struggle this year.  No doubt.

Well, I'm coming up with different numbers than you are. Dating back to the 04-05 season, McNairy leads the series 11-10. I would say dominating McNairy in basketball since 92 is a really big stretch. McNairy was good in basketball throughout the 90s, with a state tournament team in 96 and most of that team was back in 97 that got upset in regions. They followed that up with good teams through late 90s. Then, they had good teams through Bingham's Era but played in the best district in state that produced state Champs and runner ups in same seasons but they competed with them. They followed that up with some good teams until about the last 2 or 3 years. So, not a chance they dominated. If you dated back to 1990, the win-loss record would be close and honestly, either team could have the better record.

You can call it whatever you want, but the schools not playing each other has nothing to do with McNairy. You can say whatever you want but McNairy wants to play these games and I know that for a fact. McNairy has nothing to do with that decision. These are McNairy's biggest money games in all sports and it's not like McNairy isn't dominating them in some of those sports. I quit posting for almost a year because every thread about McNairy and even some Aville threads would get hijacked,not just by Aville folks but McNairy folks as well, and it ends up as the same old crap back and forth. I've seen a lot of BS and non truths posted about McNairy in that time span but just let it go. But, I'm at a point where I'm going to start responding to those. Unlike some, I don't see things through blue and gold Kool aid glasses. When I see BS, I will defend them, but I will also share my opinions on what's wrong with the program, even if it makes the McNairy die hards upset. Now, no one wants to say it, but the real reason these schools are not playing is because of politics. Everything going on in the county politics, with the school board, funding and trying to get all this building money is the reason they are not playing. Plain and simple. They think if they don't play the games, each side will forget about the rivalry and people won't see it as they getting this so we should get this etc etc.

To the main topic at hand, I was told a different story. The reason Brown is staying is because he was passed over for the Kossuth job. If he would have got it, he was gone. I thought the hire was bad from the get go but I'm not sure what other choices they had at the time. I think they should have went with a younger coach that could relate to the kids and could build a program. I don't think Brown has much longer coaching. Overall, I don't see the season as being a good one. I believe the lack of size is going to hurt them and they are not going to have the fire power to make up for it. They are loaded with JRs so maybe they can do a lot of improving but I don't think they have it to compete in this district. I hope they prove me wrong. But, I've seen their schedule, and they added some games they should win so the overall W-L record may be better than I was expecting.

Edited by LetMeHearYA

Since the early 90's, the rivalry has always been about even.  Post-season success since the early 90's clearly goes to Adamsville.  That was my point about who had dominated since the 90's.  Now to your point about politics.  I absolutely agree.  The only reason we are not playing Selmer High anymore is plain and simple.  Its all about us dominating the football games for the last 5-6 years.  We were tired of the BS.  By the way, we are playing in the State Football Playoffs this weekend if you want to come out and watch.

Well, you are comparing two total different paths in the postseasons, but hey, it is a better "dominant" argument than that dubious record you through out there the last ten years. Thanks for the invite, but I think I will have to pass. I have better things to do with my time. But hey, hopefully I can watch Aville match up with Selmer/Ramer/Bethel/Michie/Guys/Pocahontas/plus the other smaller county communities that send their kids there High on the baseball diamond in the Independent Appeal tournament. Or would that break your new school policy and have to forfeit that game.

Brown was a good coach at MCHS in the 90's because he had great talent.  The teams he had then should have went further, if he didn't have to have complete control of everything they did on the floor they would have.

He will not turn this program around.  If anything he will run it in the ground.  Kids today will not play hard for his style of coaching.  Not going to happen

As far as McNairy and Adamsville playing, who cares.  Adamsville hasn't dominated anything in basketball and to compare the cardinals post season path in basketball to the bobcats is absurd.  No cupcakes over here. 

Edited by Bobcats83