Future at Karns

SGHSAlum93

I am not a teacher, so I haven't every been evaluated as one, so I only have what teachers I do know (and because of my involvement in broadcasting that is a good number) have told me.  

The real issue seems to be in the inconsistencies in evaluations.  There are many cases of teachers (including some coaches) whose evaluations suddenly turn from very good to very bad in a short period of time for little or no apparent reason.  The politics of the Knox County Schools powers that be have gotten out of control, which is a large part of why the current Superintendent is going to be the former Superintendent come July.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a teacher, so I haven't every been evaluated as one, so I only have what teachers I do know (and because of my involvement in broadcasting that is a good number) have told me.  

The real issue seems to be in the inconsistencies in evaluations.  There are many cases of teachers (including some coaches) whose evaluations suddenly turn from very good to very bad in a short period of time for little or no apparent reason.  The politics of the Knox County Schools powers that be have gotten out of control, which is a large part of why the current Superintendent is going to be the former Superintendent come July.  

i really don't know all the issues in with the Knox County Schools because I don't live there but i remember one thing you mentioned here while back about the Superintendent almost screwing the Pilot Flying J deal up to help all the County schools with the new football field improvements. I gathered from that this guy was a special kind of stupid.

i really don't know all the issues in with the Knox County Schools because I don't live there but i remember one thing you mentioned here while back about the Superintendent almost screwing the Pilot Flying J deal up to help all the County schools with the new football field improvements. I gathered from that this guy was a special kind of stupid.

Let us hope that the next Superintendent will embrace Southern Culture (which includes athletics. Let me say that again -- Southern Culture includes athletics) as well as understands that in this area a couple inches of snow is usually crippling to school transportation due to our terrain.

Not really sure how anybody felt like Kilgore did a good job at Karns. He went 3-17 for heavens sake. Kilgore was part of the circus that almost killed our program at Central and ive talked to many Powell fans who were glad to see him go from there. Its also interesting that most of those coaches that Kilgore was with at Central ended up at Karns with him. Kilgore and all those fools are a cancer to any program and Karns fans should be VERY happy he quit. The biggest mistake that Karns could make would be to hire from within, but if Kilgore has any say in it and they do, I would bet money that Joe Hassell gets the job. He was given Centrals HC position when they forced Helton out and he hired Kilgore as DC. This would be the worst mistake Karns could ever make and would be the death of that program.

Not really sure how anybody felt like Kilgore did a good job at Karns. He went 3-17 for heavens sake. Kilgore was part of the circus that almost killed our program at Central and ive talked to many Powell fans who were glad to see him go from there. Its also interesting that most of those coaches that Kilgore was with at Central ended up at Karns with him. Kilgore and all those fools are a cancer to any program and Karns fans should be VERY happy he quit. The biggest mistake that Karns could make would be to hire from within, but if Kilgore has any say in it and they do, I would bet money that Joe Hassell gets the job. He was given Centrals HC position when they forced Helton out and he hired Kilgore as DC. This would be the worst mistake Karns could ever make and would be the death of that program.

Here's a link to the coaching staff at Karns:

http://www.karnsfootball.com/ClubStaff.aspx?clubId=55453&seasonId=47823&

Other than Joe Hassell, I don't see anybody who was on the staff at Central.  

And FWIW, I would be really surprised if Joe is the next head coach at Karns.  

My original thoughts about Karns is why does this school constantly turn out one stinker after another one. How did other schools that are so near thrive at one point in their existence but this one can't even roll out of bed right. Since 2000  they have went 1-9, 1-9, 4-6, 4-7, 5-5, 3-7, 2-8, 1-9, 3-7, 3-7, 6-5, 1-9, 1-9, 0-10, and 3-7. What is so bad that in 2011 this was the first team Karns has produced with a winning record since 1974 when they went 6-4.  That's 37 years of crummy football. How does something like this go on for so long.

How does something like this go on for so long.

That's the million dollar question, and one that has been asked for years, now.  Karns has had some decent talent, and also some solid coaches during the years, but for whatever reason, has only managed one winning season since 1974.  That's just a mystery.  

That's the million dollar question, and one that has been asked for years, now.  Karns has had some decent talent, and also some solid coaches during the years, but for whatever reason, has only managed one winning season since 1974.  That's just a mystery.  

Yep, I saw where Wayne Stiles who coached under Bill Battle and Billy Brewer at Ole Miss  had two 4-6 records before leaving to go somewhere else.

Looks like the 10 day posting period is over, as I cannot find it on the Knox County HR listings website. Are the Beavers any closer to naming a coach than they were 10 days ago?? If so, who are the likely candidates?

It was posted a week ago Friday, so 10 days would take it though yesterday.    

Don't know who applied yet.  Time to do some digging.  

And an edit:  I was just told that it isn't 10 business days any longer.  It's now 5 business days that it has to be posted.  

Edited by HTV

It was posted a week ago Friday, so 10 days would take it though yesterday.    

Don't know who applied yet.  Time to do some digging.  

And an edit:  I was just told that it isn't 10 business days any longer.  It's now 5 business days that it has to be posted.  

That is interesting that they changed it. Keep digging and let us know that you find out. Thanks HTV!