Gary Rankin & George Quarles

BoardHater71

This response comes from a guy who posts under a screen name on a message board and chooses to question a coach's "class". Coach Rankin has been doing this for 30+ years and has kids who not only play hard for him but are viewed by opposing coaches are Mr Football Players. I would think that the minority of people share your opinion.

I think most of your opinion comes from the fact that Fulton and Austin-East (and even the great Knoxville Catholic) haven't gotten it done against Rankin's Alcoa teams.

Lost Old Dad has his opinion because he has said on numerous occasions that Rankin intentionally chose to lose his final game at Riverdale in the 2005 semifinals against Oak Ridge. Since that time Riverdale has become an afterthought when speaking of the elite teams in Rutherford County. Oakland, Blackman, and Smyrna have enjoyed greater success since that time. Rankin's 16 years at Riverdale was one of the greatest runs in the state's history.

No I'm not an Alcoa fan or supporter and I do enjoy giving bulletin board material to the goon squad from time to time. With that said I do think Rankin is a great football coach.

Actually what I 'think' is the T$$AA encouraged Coach R to call the game the way he did so R'dale WOULD LOSE!

I also 'think' they have encouraged some Refs in the past in some games.

This is the reason I think the ref's for the Championship games should be brought in from out of state.

Now anything else you have for me to 'think'?  BTW for any still on here who do not know who I am and am not hiding behind a screen name it is Mike Skidmore.  The phone number is in the book.  Please do not call after 7 PM as us old folks are usually asleep, but I DO have caller ID and WILL prosecute for prank or harassing calls.  If folks just want to talk during the day, fine and good.  I am usually here.

The real question remains is who'd you want your son to play for? I know who I'd pick without question. I do think they are both perfect fits for their respective programs. 

You are a very " Wise Guy " ! Alcoa has always had the athletes , Rankin came in and took them to a Level of Discipline and commitment I hadn't seen before from Alcoa . He got the team working out much harder and you started seeing Alcoa have more depth , plus their Line play got a lot better from having those big uglies working out more . 

Coach Quarles brought excitement to Maryville , those first few years Coach Quarles won many games because of his imagination and creativity . Smoke and Mirrors baby , the thing about trick plays is they have to be executed perfectly and timed even better . Our Trick play failed against Oakland , but boy if that had worked , it might of been a much more interesting game .

I've seen Coach Quarles beat teams we absolutely had no right beating , and yes I'm biased because I am a Maryville sheep , but I think this is the main difference between these 2 coaches .  I'm not sure I've ever seen Alcoa beat a team that they were over matched by . In 2009 and 2010 Alcoa was totally superior to Maryville ... which I guess you have to give that to Rankin , he doesn't hardly ever lose a game that he should win , just like Coach Quarles . 

You are a very " Wise Guy " ! Alcoa has always had the athletes , Rankin came in and took them to a Level of Discipline and commitment I hadn't seen before from Alcoa . He got the team working out much harder and you started seeing Alcoa have more depth , plus their Line play got a lot better from having those big uglies working out more . 

Coach Quarles brought excitement to Maryville , those first few years Coach Quarles won many games because of his imagination and creativity . Smoke and Mirrors baby , the thing about trick plays is they have to be executed perfectly and timed even better . Our Trick play failed against Oakland , but boy if that had worked , it might of been a much more interesting game .

I've seen Coach Quarles beat teams we absolutely had no right beating , and yes I'm biased because I am a Maryville sheep , but I think this is the main difference between these 2 coaches .  I'm not sure I've ever seen Alcoa beat a team that they were over matched by . In 2009 and 2010 Alcoa was totally superior to Maryville ... which I guess you have to give that to Rankin , he doesn't hardly ever lose a game that he should win , just like Coach Quarles . 

Well said pep! He did the same at Riverdale. Discipline, strength and conditioning and details were things that were very visible when he coached there!

Well said pep! He did the same at Riverdale. Discipline, strength and conditioning and details were things that were very visible when he coached there!

Amen! Alcoa plays the game the right way and that's first and foremost why they win so often. Talent only goes so far. Discipline and effort can't be given at birth. They are traits that are acquired through time and experience.

This is an interview with GQ, not with someone with issues.....so there has NEVER been a family, parent, or player with issues. No one has ever questioned why some players are kicked off a team for certain rule violations and some are just suspended from another sport or punished differently with the consequences not being equal for same rule violation.There is NOT a perfect coach or team anywhere.... Didn't say he wasn't a great coach (if I needed someone to make a play call with the game on the line I would pick GQ) but I am sure players are not ALL treated the same. Every coach has their "All Star" picks that are given a bigger margin for error in games and practices, discipline issues are treated differently, team rules are not all on the same level with All Players. You have the kids that play and practice just as hard but for some reason a coach doesn't relate well with them and then the margin of error drops way down...this kid may not ever make it off of the scout team, may be used to make an example of "we do not tolerate rule breakers", or not given the same chances or forgiveness as the "All Star" ......

With 80 to 90 players not everyone is happy....EVERY TEAM has unhappy families. CoachT posters are made up of very SMALL sample of the true reflections of a team....Maryville, Alcoa, William Blount, and Heritage have the same people every game.

My point with "LOD" was to say every coach has his warts .....these warts are not the down fall of a player or adult who finds himself in jail...IT STARTS AT HOME and kids do not control their environment.

LOD was saying Coach Rankin fell short because of his "former players in JAIL"....and then the way STARTERS are treated ....unhappy dad sees things differently than other parents, True in every part of society ...IMO This happens on all teams

I am sorry you are bitter. Sometimes.....things just do not work out. 

I am probably the only guy on here that has had sons to play for both of these coaches. I love and respect both. Each is the perfect fit for their respective programs. Both have outstanding staffs. For us, it game down to the size of the school as the deciding factor. I am very thankful for both and their influence and leadership in the lives of my sons.

I am probably the only guy on here that has had sons to play for both of these coaches. I love and respect both. Each is the perfect fit for their respective programs. Both have outstanding staffs. For us, it game down to the size of the school as the deciding factor. I am very thankful for both and their influence and leadership in the lives of my sons.

Agree...

I am sorry you are bitter. Sometimes.....things just do not work out.

Not bitter...I know there are always two sides to every event. Not one coach is "perfect" and I am just stating that NO coach treats all the kids the same on any team ...ANY sport.

"LOD" has some bitterness issues....

Edited by Frid8yn9tlites

Not bitter...I know there are always two sides to every event. Not one coach is "perfect" and I am just stating that NO coach treats all the kids the same on any team ...ANY sport.

"LOD" has some bitterness issues....

I am not bitter.  I just do not like the man or trust him.  I am also man enough to say it to his face.......and HAVE!

Also each Coach should treat ALL their players the same if they are worth the title 'Coach'.