2017 D1 Players from West Tennessee

justdunkit

I know it isn't all inclusive, but according to coacht, there are only 6 TN high school girls that have signed to play D1 next year. You say 4 from west TN are going to play D1. That looks like a good percentage to me. What other reason do you have for west TN to not dominate in Murfreesboro?

• 1 month later...

I know for a fact it's only TWO local AAU teams. Flight West and the Lady Silver Foxes out of Greenfield. Bad thing is both have players who should be getting looks from 4-year schools but they don't travel enough to get these kids in front of college coaches.

• 2 weeks later...

I know for a fact it's only TWO local AAU teams. Flight West and the Lady Silver Foxes out of Greenfield. Bad thing is both have players who should be getting looks from 4-year schools but they don't travel enough to get these kids in front of college coaches.

I don't know much about the Flight West team travel schedule, but The Lady Silver Foxes travel plenty. I know most of those parents and they're on the road for each viewing period (2-April, 2-July). This summer they're doing Murfreesboro (1), Louisville (2), and Indianapolis (1). Some of the girls are getting looks from 4-year schools and others JUCO. They also do events where small schools and/or media are present. The Dyer County Suns are the 3rd area travel team, but they've only did AAU if they had a really strong group of players.

The big schools can only watch the kids for 2 weeks in April and 2 weeks in July. September has a viewing period, but most of the girls are back in school with their teams. Several kids from these programs will get offered. West Tn girls basketball is getting stronger every day.

• 2 weeks later...

100 percent honest. We could have a elite local travel team IF someone would step up and do it.

Someone has been doing it......Congratulations to the Lady Silver Foxes (Greenfield) on winning the 2017 AAU D1 Tn State Championship. Putting West Tn on the map ! This team IS becoming elite. The group was put together in 2012 and has since played for 3 titles in 5 years. They won the 2013 D2 state title in only their second year, were 2015 D3 National runner-up, and now 2017 D1 state champs. They're made up of all local kids; Chloe Moore (Greenfield), Yasmine Pankey (Crockett Co.), Tristen Trevathan (Dresden), Mikayla Peterson (Clarksburg), Shyon Stephens (Union City), Caroline Crouse (Greenfield), Kyndall Davis (Union City), Kyla Taylor (Lexington), and Madison Johnson (Milan). Several of these freshman started on their HS varsity teams this season. I would like to see this program add other age groups to keep all the local talent home. Alot of good players join squads based in middle Tn (Flight) and Kentucky (Ky Premier, Slink) and this just pushes their brands and raises their profiles with our talent. IMO, other people should step up and help do a better job of keeping the girls here and lets make West Tn basketball stand on its own. We definitely have the homegrown talent.

• 4 weeks later...

Good thing is some of the better local players are playing with well known AAU teams this summer:

Hailey Hardaway (Bolivar) Tennessee Shock 2019

Quanardra Miller (Jackson South Side) Memphis Elite 2019

Tia Bland (Covington) Team Slink

Tess Darby (Greenfield) Tennessee Flight EYBL

Kyla Taylor (Lexington) Lady Silver Foxes 2020

Macey Lee/Savannah Lee (TCA) Tennessee Team Pride 

Emily Jones (USJ) Tennessee Flight West 

Jamirah Shutes (Haywood) Memphis Elite 2018

So our better players are getting seen around the region and nationally.

• 1 month later...

Deja Graves ( Westview |Tn Flight ) verbally committed to Union University. This is another example of why West Tennessee doesn't produce alot of D1 athletes. Deja had D1 opportunities, but chose to play where she was most comfortable. Nice to see that she didn't get caught up in the whole "D1 or bust" mentality. Good move on her part, CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK !!

On 6/23/2017 at 8:13 PM, dmm88 said:

Good thing is some of the better local players are playing with well known AAU teams this summer:

Hailey Hardaway (Bolivar) Tennessee Shock 2019

Quanardra Miller (Jackson South Side) Memphis Elite 2019

Tia Bland (Covington) Team Slink

Tess Darby (Greenfield) Tennessee Flight EYBL

Kyla Taylor (Lexington) Lady Silver Foxes 2020

Macey Lee/Savannah Lee (TCA) Tennessee Team Pride 

Emily Jones (USJ) Tennessee Flight West 

Jamirah Shutes (Haywood) Memphis Elite 2018

So our better players are getting seen around the region and nationally.

Anyone know what schools Jamirah is looking at? I am sure she has multiple offers and is weighing her options.