How about this playoff plan??

FridayMainEvent

12 hours ago, Indian said:

The schools with 1500-2000 students should be able to compete. 

No they can't because many of their prime athletes are courted by the privates and eventually transfer.   Public can never compete with privates consistently.   Every few years, you might see one loaded that can, but that wouldn't be the norm.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, FreeAgent11 said:

No they can't because many of their prime athletes are courted by the privates and eventually transfer.   Public can never compete with privates consistently.   Every few years, you might see one loaded that can, but that wouldn't be the norm.

There is this great myth that private schools go around and recruit all the good athletes at public schools. Every kid at a private school is zoned somewhere - doesn’t mean the public school owns the kid for starters. Second if I wanted to pull my kid from Ravenwood and put him at BA I would do that if it was a benefit to my child.

A few years ago I saw Brentwood high school beat the snot out of ba in basketball. I have also seen ba lose to public schools in soccer , baseball , track , wrestling and about every other sport I can imagine.

i have also seen ba line up against public schools with more athletes and win in football. Ba has a few athletes who go on to become big time - but many of bas players go to small schools if they decide to play after high school.

One of the major reasons maryville wins is because kids wish to play there but I would imagine their process and system developed when their kids are in middle school or before and their coaching is a significant reason. They don’t have ex nfl players on their sidelines to my knowledge but they have a very disciplined and defined process they follow —-and it works.

same with ba - people wish to make it about recruiting always but it’s much more. Kids and parents are attracted to the school and their system —At any one time ba has several athletes that go on to major schools not unlike most 6a teams I know 

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

12 minutes ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

There is this great myth that private schools go around and recruit all the good athletes at public schools. Every kid at a private school is zoned somewhere - doesn’t mean the public school owns the kid for starters. Second if I wanted to pull my kid from Ravenwood and put him at BA I would do that if it was a benefit to my child.

A few years ago I saw Brentwood high school beat the snot out of ba in basketball. I have also seen ba lose to public schools in soccer , baseball , track , wrestling and about every other sport I can imagine.

i have also seen ba line up against public schools with more athletes and win in football. Ba has a few athletes who go on to become big time - but many of bas players go to small schools if they decide to play after high school.

One of the major reasons maryville wins is because kids wish to play there but I would imagine their process and system developed when their kids are in middle school or before and their coaching is a significant reason. They don’t have ex nfl players on their sidelines to my knowledge but they have a very disciplined and defined process they follow —-and it works.

same with ba - people wish to make it about recruiting always but it’s much more. At any one time ba has several athletes that go on to major schools not unlike most 6a teams I know 

I didn't say a darn thing negative about private schools.  Quit being over sensitive.   The jest of my post is Publics can't compete on a regular basis.   Sure you can pull out a few examples where that happened.   Are you going to honestly say Privates would not dominate for the most part??   Why exactly do you think they split them in the first place??

Edited by FreeAgent11

1 hour ago, FreeAgent11 said:

I didn't say a darn thing negative about private schools.  Quit being over sensitive.   The jest of my post is Publics can't compete on a regular basis.   Sure you can pull out a few examples where that happened.   Are you going to honestly say Privates would not dominate for the most part??   Why exactly do you think they split them in the first place??

I did not take your comment as negative - I was responding with you not at you. I am not the defender of private schools and I also believe in many years the top 6a schools could compete with the top privates.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

1 hour ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

same with ba - people wish to make it about recruiting always but it’s much more. Kids and parents are attracted to the school and their system —At any one time ba has several athletes that go on to major schools not unlike most 6a teams I know 

I believe anybody can choose whatever school they want to.  I have no problem with that.  Private school education is ideal in my opinion.  But if you believe for one minute that BA (and I am using them per your example) does not put an emphasis on sports you are ignorant of the facts.  BA was created to win championships.  When the creators of the school split from BGA they were, and you can look it up, wanting a strong athletic school.  Not saying faith and education were not high on the list but athletics certainly were as well.  The first headmaster is quoted as saying so.  It used to be a qualification that every child compete in a sport of some kind.  The entire split happened because BA continued to beat on the small schools in then 2A and not move to 3A during the 80's.  Then when they had, according to Carlton Flatt the best team they ever fielded, did move up and beat Riverdale with Rankin the firestorm happened.  The flood gates opened and all of these financial aid packages really increased which caused other schools to increase theirs as well to keep up.  The privates are like mini colleges now and the publics can no longer compete with them.  Sending buses several counties away to bring "students" into their elite schools.  It is not a fair playing field and to suggest that a few of those games have been won by publics mean they can compete day in and day out is outlandish  especially when over all records are vastly skewed.  If you want competition within the state with the publics then drastically reduce the financial aid to athletes like in the 80's or otherwise continue on status quo.  I am not interested in scheduling private schools otherwise.  

• Like 1

Here is another breakdown without private schools:

Region 1:
17-Greeneville (4A)
18-Science Hill (6A)
38-Dobyns-Bennett (6A)
49-Sevier County (5A)
58-Morristown West (6A)
60-Anderson County (4A)
62-Campbell County (4A)

Region 2:
9-Fulton (4A before move-up)
20-Farragut (6A)
22-Knoxville West (5A)
43-Hardin Valley (6A)
57-Knoxville Central (5A)
74-South Doyle (5A)
77-Bearden (6A)

Region 3:
1-Maryville (6A)
23-Ooltewah (6A)
24-Rhea County (5A)
29-Oak Ridge (5A)
35-Bradley Central (6A)
48-Cleveland (6A)
82-McMinn County (6A)

Region 4:
3-Oakland (6A)
7-Blackman (6A)
28-Riverdale (6A)
34-Smyrna (6A)
47-Cookeville (6A)
53-Marshall County (4A)
51-Siegel (6A)

Region 5:
25-Hendersonville (6A)
44-Beech (5A)
54-Nashville Overton 6A)
56-Mt Juliet (6A)
73-Wilson Central (6A)
75-Gallatin (5A)
80-McGavock (6A)

Region 6:
12-Ravenwood (6A)
15-Independence (6A)
27-Nashville Hillsboro (5A)
33-Cane Ridge (6A)
31-Franklin (6A)
26-Centennial (6A)
37-Brentwood (6A)

Region 7:
30-Henry County (5A)
59-Liberty (4A)
68-Crockett County (4A)
61-Dyersburg (4A)
72-Rossview (6A)
78-Haywood (5A)
86-Lexington (4A)

Region 8:
13-Whitehaven (6A)
39-White Station (6A)
40-Ridgeway (5A)
65-Cordova (6A)
70-Arlington (6A)
79-Memphis Central (6A)
87-Germantown (6A)

On 12/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, cbg said:

You may want to start by scraping the current system and dropping from nine (9) divisions to four (4) divisions.  Tennessee currently is a "FEEL GOOD" state where everyone deserves a state championship trophy.  

Drop the classes to 4 and the championship games become competitive and larger crowds.  Probably can move the games back to MTSU or Vanderbilt. In D2 have two classes based on the amount of financial aid gieven by a school in stead of size.

Edited by QSouth89

38 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

Drop the classes to 4 and the championship games become competitive and larger crowds.  Probably can move the games back to MTSU or Vanderbilt. In D2 have two classes based on the amount of financial aid gieven by a school in stead of size.

My plan would have a total of 4 Divisions.  The D2 schools and D1 schools would be playing against each other again and everyone could stop running there mouth as to what team was the best in Tennessee.  The schools that offer financial aid would be required to play in 3A or 4A depending on enrollment and no private schools would be allowed to play in class A unless a special exception was made.  It's time to make the playoffs mean something again and stop watering down the competition so that everyone feels good.

Edited by cbg

12 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

I believe anybody can choose whatever school they want to.  I have no problem with that.  Private school education is ideal in my opinion.  But if you believe for one minute that BA (and I am using them per your example) does not put an emphasis on sports you are ignorant of the facts.  BA was created to win championships.  When the creators of the school split from BGA they were, and you can look it up, wanting a strong athletic school.  Not saying faith and education were not high on the list but athletics certainly were as well.  The first headmaster is quoted as saying so.  It used to be a qualification that every child compete in a sport of some kind.  The entire split happened because BA continued to beat on the small schools in then 2A and not move to 3A during the 80's.  Then when they had, according to Carlton Flatt the best team they ever fielded, did move up and beat Riverdale with Rankin the firestorm happened.  The flood gates opened and all of these financial aid packages really increased which caused other schools to increase theirs as well to keep up.  The privates are like mini colleges now and the publics can no longer compete with them.  Sending buses several counties away to bring "students" into their elite schools.  It is not a fair playing field and to suggest that a few of those games have been won by publics mean they can compete day in and day out is outlandish  especially when over all records are vastly skewed.  If you want competition within the state with the publics then drastically reduce the financial aid to athletes like in the 80's or otherwise continue on status quo.  I am not interested in scheduling private schools otherwise.  

I’m good with how things are.