2005 Mr. Basketball Winners

CoachT

wishiwasabller....im glad you got your list....and i listed his games from state that were supposedly "poor games". its not just that he has more potential or is ranked higher but Doaks had better stats and his team had a better year in the end. and let me make one point....how is a voter in east tn gonna know what kind of "character" Doaks has...he dont so they dont vote on charcter even though they may say that. im done with this topic but let me say this one more time, yall should just look at those stats and shut up cause you are all makin yourself look like idiots for critizing a kids game when he put up an average of 19 pts 12 rebs 3 blocks and hade a fg% of about 60 despite never having less than 2 people on his back. these stats were put up on the biggest stage of them all in high school basketball....he handled the pressure and got the job done.

the numbers speak for theirselves......i'll be glad when this board goes to offseason so we wont have to listen to this nonsense anymore!

Edited by btowntigers

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btowntigers...you keep saying stats, stats, stats. But, that a very nieve way of looking at how good of a player he is. He plays in single A basketball, dont forget that. I'll put the question to you this way. Does he average that many points, that many rebounds, or have that good of a field goal percentage playing in AAA? I hope you are intelligent enough to realize the answer to that question is that his stats would be significantly lower. But, as far as who should have won Mr. Basketball I get the point you are making. You are saying just give it to whoever had the best stats. But, if you use that line of thinking then I believe Daniel Puckett should have gotten it because his stats were better.

how is a voter in east tn gonna know what kind of "character" Doaks has...he dont so they dont vote on charcter even though they may say that.

825627029[/snapback]

Regardless of who is the subject, I think that's a fair statement. There's no way someone in Dyersburg is going to know if Skogen cheats at algebra or is an Eagle Scout any more than a reporter in Bristol is going to know about the players from the West.

Honestly, considering how spread out Tennessee is and how different the play is across the State, I'd just as soon not have a Mr. Basketball. There really doesn't seem to be a logical place for it.

btowntigers...you keep saying stats, stats, stats. But, that a very nieve way of looking at how good of a player he is. He plays in single A basketball, dont forget that. I'll put the question to you this way. Does he average that many points, that many rebounds, or have that good of a field goal percentage playing in AAA? I hope you are intelligent enough to realize the answer to that question is that his stats would be significantly lower. But, as far as who should have won Mr. Basketball I get the point you are making. You are saying just give it to whoever had the best stats. But, if you use that line of thinking then I believe Daniel Puckett should have gotten it because his stats were better.

825627039[/snapback]

It doesn't matter what Doak's would of done in AAA, because he doesn't play AAA. Do actually think Skogen would put up the same stats in AAA? NO. And btown was only emphasizing stats to disprove everyone that is saying that Doaks played bad in the tournament. If anyone actually watched the Trenton games, especially the championship game, they would notice how much different that team was when Doaks didn't touch the ball or came off the floor.

wishiwasabller....im glad you got your list....and i listed his games from state that were supposedly "poor games". its not just that he has more potential or is ranked higher but Doaks had better stats and his team had a better year in the end. and let me make one point....how is a voter in east tn gonna know what kind of "character" Doaks has...

I never said Doaks played poorly. I don't think his team had a better year than Caleb's. Temple's record was 34-2(including the loss to Middleton) and Peabody's was 27-11. If Peabody would have met Middleton in their first game they would have been put out as well. As for stats Caleb had 24 against Middleton. Not sure what his assists or other stats were but most people seemed to be amazed. Oh and we in the east have heard about Doaks temper tantrums on court(whether or not those accounts are overblown), although I'm not sure if that's character or sportsmanship.

The point about character not being part of the voting process if completley valid. There is no way that the media on one end of the state has any clue about the character of students on the other end of the state. And, frankly I don't think some of the media would care even if they did know about a kids character. The Mr. Basketball award is won by exposure and stats, and maybe a very little bit on team success. Can somebody tell me why Xavier Webb was not nominated? He is very comparable to Doaks and Puckett, but had slightly better stats and signed with a larger school.

I never said Doaks played poorly. I don't think his team had a better year than Caleb's. Temple's record was 34-2(including the loss to Middleton) and Peabody's was 27-11.  If Peabody would have met Middleton in their first game they would have been put out as well. As for stats Caleb had 24 against Middleton. Not sure what his assists or other stats were but most people seemed to be amazed.  Oh and we in the east have heard about Doaks temper tantrums on court(whether or not those accounts are overblown), although I'm not sure if that's character or sportsmanship.

825627133[/snapback]

I have seen quite a few of Trenton Peabody's games. The tight ones, the ones that the locals talk about the week ahead of the game, like the one against West Carroll's Xavier Webb. It was a good game, big guy against big guy. The crowds are rowdy the tension is thick. Doaks has never had a tantrum, ever. But I can tell you what I have seen him do, stop his team mates that get hot. He's done it more than once. Probably some of the accounts you are referring to were overblown. That's what happen alot of the time when the opponent is not the winner. It's the same type thing as blaming the ref.

It's my understanding that Webb was talked about, just not pushed. Ask his coach if he really pushed for Webb. I was surprised that Doaks was in the running & not Webb, figuring that Webbb would be his tightest contender. And Skogen was sure to be the favorite. How long have we been hearing that name. What I don't get is why is the media, the paper media the ones who nominate these players?