Put a multiplier on West Tennessee!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:justwrestle: That's pretty good. I think they did fairly well in football too. Middle and East Tennessee will just have to face the music for a little while. These things run in cycles.

Hey, do they have work study programs for the West TN schools? Just curious.....

Edited by ksgovols

It looked like the West Tennessee basketball teams had about 1.9 players for every one from the rest of the state.  I say let's put a multiplier on them so we can make if a level playing field for the rest of the state!  Come on Middle and East.  Unite and fight!

825626217[/snapback]

Le'ts give it about 5 years...and we'll see. :justwrestle:

This does go in cycles. Did you realize that there were no state championships in boys basketball from Memphis from 1938 (Whitehaven if they were considered a Memphis school back then) until 1974 when Melrose won the Large school classification? Memphis and West Tennessee have definitely done well for the last decade or more.

Edited by Bighurt

It looked like the West Tennessee basketball teams had about 1.9 players for every one from the rest of the state.  I say let's put a multiplier on them so we can make if a level playing field for the rest of the state!  Come on Middle and East.  Unite and fight!

825626217[/snapback]

Your sarcasm proves a great point: that there's more than one way to look at everything. thumb

825626217[/snapback]

Great idea! These schools eliminated private schools and a magnet school from the tournament. That can't happen unless they have some unfair advantage. With West TN girls taking 2 of 3, then West Tennessee took 5 of 6 championships. It just isn't fair that schools from 2/3 of the state only won 1/6 of the titles. Something must be done to level the playing field. A 1.9 sounds about right.

On the AA broadcast, one of the commentators said that basketball was king in West Tennessee just as football is king in places like Gallatin and Lincoln County.

I will agree that basketball is big in West Tennessee, but I would put up Milan, Covington or Huntingdon on a fall Friday night with any town in the state.

I love the wit and wisdom, cynicism and sarcasm of coacht posters!

What about it fellow Middle and East Tennesseeans? Let's put the West Tennessee basketball teams out! How about we form the M&ETSSAA? Let the West have their own deal. Maybe they can hook up with Arkansas and/or Mississippi. Isn't Memphis in one of those states anyway?

LOL!

This does go in cycles.  Did you realize that there were no state championships in boys basketball from Memphis from 1938 (Whitehaven if they were considered a Memphis school back then) until 1974 when Melrose won the Large school classification?  Memphis and West Tennessee have definitely done well for the last decade or more.

825626308[/snapback]

Your observation has more to do with institutionalized segregation than the quality of basketball in Memphis from 1938 until 1974.

I say let any team west of the TN river (the real part of the river) be eligible to compete for a state championship. All games would be played at Oman Arena. Let all the other schools vie for a H.O.R.S.E. championship. This could be held at any driveway in middle or east tn.

LOL.....Just kidding! But teams from west of the TN river did kick butt this year. :unsure:

I say let any team west of the TN river (the real part of the river) be eligible to compete for a state championship. All games would be played at Oman Arena.  Let all the other schools vie for a H.O.R.S.E. championship. This could be held at any driveway in middle or east tn.

LOL.....Just kidding! But teams from west of the TN river did kick butt this year. :lol:

825627503[/snapback]

Hey VolGen,

I'm not sure the poor Middle and East teams could make enough shots to spell that big of a word. Maybe we should just play P-I-G! And who has a driveway in East Tennessee? I thought everybody's peach basket was nailed to the barn just below the hay loft!

And BTW, the River would never run through West Tennessee if it didn't start up here in these here hills!

Edited by supersteve17