Title 9

peabodymom

What are some facts about this. Our softball team does not have a field of their own. They have to play on the tee ball field at the public park. Our baseball team has their own field, the football team has a field plus a brand new practice field with a new field house. The soccer teams have their own field and soccer hasn't even been in our school as long as softball.

This wouldn't be such an issue, but we once had to forfeit a district championship game (2 years ago) because the tee ball teams had a game and they insisted they had the right to get the field next.

Yes, it happend. I still cannot believe it! So I'm interested in information on "Title 9" because I've heard people speak of it and I don't know where to start.

Can any of you give me information on this and tell me where to start.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some facts about this.  Our softball team does not have a field of their own.  They have to play on the tee ball field at the public park.  Our baseball team has their own field, the football team has a field plus a brand new practice field with a new field house.  The soccer teams have their own field and soccer hasn't even been in our school as long as softball. 

This wouldn't be such an issue, but we once had to forfeit a district championship game (2 years ago) because the tee ball teams had a game and they insisted they had the right to get the field next. 

Yes, it happend.  I still cannot believe it! So I'm interested in information on "Title 9" because I've heard people speak of it and I don't know where to start. 

825635755[/snapback]

Look at this web page:

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/cgi-...ts/article.html?

record=888

This web page will explain the principle of why the Hixon girls got a new softball field.

I will tell you too, alot of high schools are not in compliance with title nine.

What are some facts about this.  Our softball team does not have a field of their own.  They have to play on the tee ball field at the public park.  Our baseball team has their own field, the football team has a field plus a brand new practice field with a new field house.  The soccer teams have their own field and soccer hasn't even been in our school as long as softball. 

Yes, it happend.  I still cannot believe it! So I'm interested in information on "Title 9" because I've heard people speak of it and I don't know where to start. 

825635755[/snapback]

As mentioned before, contact Phil Davidson, an attorney in Nashville and also the coach for FAther Ryan. He lives and breathes softball, so if there is anything legally he can help you with, he will. He was the person responsible for Hixson getting their field.

"All of the fields in Clarksville are getting lights put on their fields, mainly because of Title IX."

HAWK, This is nice to hear that these schools are finally going to be able to have lighted fields. It should help attendance for all of the school's involved. It will also mean that they can host games earlier in the season. These schools usually played most of their home games later in the season so daylight savings time would benefit the two teams that were playing. It will also mean that they can play and finish more JV games which should help the programs as well.

i am not sure, but i would not think so because the school did not front the money for the baseball press box.

825635859[/snapback]

I copied this from the Title IX question and answer page:

"Does Title IX apply to booster clubs and other types of (similar) support for athletic teams?"

"Yes. If the school permits an individual or group to donate funds for the benefit of a specific gender or sport, it must also make sure that benefits and services are equivalent for both sexes. "

So , I dont know if it would apply to something like a pressbox but certainly it would apply to the fact if the baseball team was built really nice fields, facilities, stands, indoor batting cage, etc.... and the girls softball team was funded inadequately and was not allowed to have facilities or use what was built. If the boys facilities were built on school property it would not matter who funded it , the school or booster club.

Title nine was a great thing when it passed. Up until that point girls were really discriminated against. Still, with Title IX intact serious infractions exist at our high schools. I mean how many of you know of "weight rooms " and "batting cages" that exist at our local high schools that the girls are not allowed to enter or use? What about state of the art baseball fields with concession stands and bathrooms and every ammenity when the girls softball field at the same school has nothing. While it is true, these girls and parents need to raise money to "fix " thier fields , what about those whose parents kill themselves making repairs and improvements but still the inconsistency exists?

We are making strides, and I am glad Hixson is getting a field that is not always flooded. They are a great group of girls with what seem to be great parents.

Edited by swingaway

I copied this from the Title IX question and answer page:

"Does Title IX apply to booster clubs and other types of (similar) support for athletic teams?"

"Yes. If the school permits an individual or group to donate funds for the benefit of a specific gender or sport, it must also make sure that benefits and services are equivalent for both sexes. "

So , I dont know if it would apply to something like a pressbox but certainly it would apply to the fact if the baseball team was built really nice fields,  facilities, stands, indoor batting cage, etc.... and the girls softball team was funded inadequately and was not allowed to have facilities or use what was built. If the boys facilities were built on school property it would not matter who funded it , the school or booster club.

Title nine was a great thing when it passed. Up until that point girls were really discriminated against. Still, with Title IX intact serious infractions exist at our high schools. I mean how many of you know of "weight rooms " and "batting cages" that exist at our local high schools that the girls are not allowed to enter or use? What about  state of the art baseball fields with concession stands and bathrooms and every ammenity when the girls softball field at the same school has nothing. While it is true, these girls and parents need to raise money to "fix " thier fields , what about those whose parents kill themselves making repairs and improvements but still the inconsistency exists?

We are making strides, and I am glad Hixson is getting a field that is not always flooded. They are  a great group of girls with what seem to be great parents.

825636121[/snapback]

i dont think that is fair...if the baseball team worked hard to raise money the softball team should have to do the same...it shouldnt just be given to them...

What 's unfair is how girls have been treated in the past.

825636710[/snapback]

If you go back to the sixties and seventies there were few opportunities for girls to play any sport. Boys had T ball and baseball, football, and basketball leagues from the age of six. The girls were not allowed to play on these teams and there were no teams for them to play on. In Nashville the only sports program for young girls I was aware of was softball at age ten and church basketball that started at the junior high school or high school age level. Of course there was cheerleading , for all the boys teams. Other teams may have existed somewhere but the opportunities were few and far between. There were no middle school or high school softball teams until after Title IX. In other sports, the girls high school teams that did exist were underfunded. Facilities were minimal and /or they used left over fields in poor shape or used courts when there was open time. Very few college scholarships were offered as compared to now.

Title IX was and continues to be important. Having "boys only" facilities on school property without adequate facilities for girls is not only wrong it is against the law and needs to be stopped.

Phil Davidson, whoever you are, you need to be patted on the back for helping Hixson. way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!