Best Offensive System

1215college

I LIKE A RUNNING SYSTEM AND WHEN YOU MENTIO A RUNNING SYSTEM U GOTA TALK ABOUT COACHING LEGEND J.C. CAMPBELL OF HAMPTON HE WILL RUN IT ALL NIGHT LONG,OFF TACKLE AND RIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT

J.C. CAMPBALL FOOTBALL IN YOUR FACE PHYSICAL FOOTBALL!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO THE HAMPTON BULLDOGS 05 IN 1-A

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that its all about the talent. If it was all talent driven then alot of places with exceptional athletes would only have to show up and win.

I feel that a better philosophy is to match your system to your talent. I think that seperates the pretenders from contenders.

That being said an offensive system that allows you the capability to run the power game, passing game, and option game with minimal change from year to year is the best system.

I personally feel that the "I" formation allows you best opportunity to do each of these things equally effectively, while maybe focusing on one specific aspect from year to year.

The best coaches realize this and thats why they are able to competitive year in and year out not just on years that the talent is on the upswing.

I disagree that its all about the talent. If it was all talent driven then alot of places with exceptional athletes would only have to show up and win. 

I feel that a better philosophy is to match your system to your talent.  I think that seperates the pretenders from contenders.

That being said an offensive system that allows you the capability to run the power game, passing game, and option game with minimal change from year to year is the best system.

I personally feel that the "I" formation allows you best opportunity to do each of these things equally effectively, while maybe focusing on one specific aspect from year to year.

The best coaches realize this and thats why they are able to competitive year in and year out not just on years that the talent is on the upswing.

825641754[/snapback]

I AGREE THE I FORMATION IT'S GREAT

I-Pro, I-Slot, Wing-T, Double Slot, Spread 3-4-5 wide, SB Veer, Midline, it's all about the talent and not the system!

825641707[/snapback]

once again, I agree somewhat, in only that if you are talented with a good coach running the offensive system that he knows then you can be very successful. But...... put a coach with a boat load of talent, zero technique, and no offensive belief system and well, you get one of those teams that other folks wish they could coach. Give me a team with avg to slightly above avg athletes, a coach who knows the in and outs of his system, one who would argue his system versus any for hours on end, one who can spout off blocking assignments for every lineman without ever having to think about it, and that coach will beat the more talented team most of the time. His players will have more confidence. Just look at the successful programs in this state. They stay in an offensive system and teach that system. Thats why here in rural west, tn. we can beat teams with more skilled athletes. We're just smarter.

How many of you guys are actual coaches who decide what system to run? I know that Maryville does a great job with what they have and even without great talent they would still do a good job because their head coach does what he knows and sticks to it. If you know an offense and can teach it then your players will be able to execute it. Wardawg made a great post and does a good job coaching what he knows. I am also an option person and know of several places that have won running the option (split back veer) and not won trying anything else. As far as line it up and run it at you goes, that way of playing is still finding a way to win because those people understand that defense wins.

Offenses come and go. I remember when Univ of Houston was running the run and shoot and claimed they couldn't turn off the scoring. Guess what, someone turned it off for them. but one thing seems to always hold true., the team that runs the ball best and plays good def. wins. These shotgun teams now are really nothing more than single wing IMO>

I think an offense should be balanced. A team that throws every play lets the defense back off everybody and make it hard for the qb to make the right kind of throws. Also a team that runs the ball everytime makes it easy for the defense by letting them put 8-9 guys in the box. But a good team knows how to balance out pass and run. As for formations I like the run and shoot, shotgun, and I- formation.

you have to adapt your system to your talent. you cant go to hampton ( no pun intended) and run the spread offense and bank on the big play, the talent just wont allow it. same as if you go to melrose and try to run the power I. you're going to have athletes there, but why limit the athletes you put on the field?? that's why so many teams in texas are moving to the spread, they have athletes out the wahzoo. in the end as i said, you have to adjust your system to your talent level. and as someone said earlier in the thread, balance is the key. i watched the bluecross bowl last year and thought that Alcoa was one of the more balanced HS teams i have seen in quite a few years.

Edited by EastTNGuru

I feel that a better philosophy is to match your system to your talent.  I think that seperates the pretenders from contenders.

825641754[/snapback]

I will agree to a point with you fadepattern. But to win it all-ya gotta have more studs than the other team. For Example, Greenbrier had one of the best coached teams in the state that had a good little system going and got smashed the second half of the state championship game. Do you honestly believe that it was because the other teams system was better or they better match their system to their talent? I saw a team that was tough, strong, and competed hard all year get out gunned. Same thing with White House this year in the playoffs. I do agree that you should do something that your players will have the best chance to be successful at. Therefore, I think if you got the studs you can do anything you want!

I will agree to a point with you fadepattern. But to win it all-ya gotta have more studs than the other team. For Example, Greenbrier had one of the best coached teams in the state that had a good little system going and got smashed the second half of the state championship game. Do you honestly believe that it was because the other teams system was better or they better match their system to their talent? I saw a team that was tough, strong, and competed hard all year get out gunned. Same thing with White House this year in the playoffs. I do agree that you should do something that your players will have the best chance to be successful at. Therefore, I think if you got the studs you can do anything you want!

825642054[/snapback]

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!!!! Greenbriar relied on their system, the only system they could have been in to even get that far. Maryville, for all the talent they supposedly have, didn't have the speed of melrose and they never will but... the system once again. Get yourself in a system young people. I get tired of hearing people say "you adapt your system to your personel" hahahahaha. Based upon that theory you could be in a different system every couple years, which equals disaster. I stand by the theory of make the personel fit the system and believe most successful coaches do the same thing.

The modified Wing T and what I call the conservative spread offense(3WR,1RB, 1TE) are the best IMO. They allow so much versatility and variations that the defense has no idea whats coming next. Most agree that balance is the key to a great offense, the modified Wing T and the conservative spread allow for a balanced offense that is also high scoring. For years the key to stopping the Wing T was to follow the guards right to the RB, now that coaches have adapted the Wing T, it is a very formidable offense. There are now an array of formations and motion that are at available at a coaches disposal, regular Wing T, I formation with one wing back, pro set with 2 wing backs, 2 tight, flex, spread, I can go on and on. The key is, from a basic wing t look, the offense can form into 4 different formations and run the same play, all looking different. Defenders head definitely spin when faced with the modified wing t. The spread offense allows for much of the same, because of the 3 WR's the defense is spread out preventing them from stacking against the run, because of the TE teams cannot sell out against the pass either. Running plays normally consist of draws, delays, tosses, and sweeps, option but if you add an extra TE and send him in motion, acting as a lead blocker you open up a totally different playbook of run plays. The passing possibilities out the formation are endless, most high school teams rarely face a spread offense, and most coaches don`t know how to defend it. As always balance is the key, running a spread offense with no running leads to a lot of 3 and outs which kills your defense, however the right mix of running and passing makes the spread almost impossible to defend at the high school level.