why wont Maryville play OR

BiggieEarl01

Since 2001 Maryville has played Morristown West which is a top rated 4a school. That game is gone now because of the number of district teams that they play which is 7. Add Heritage, William Blount and Alcoa and you have a 10 week schedule. Maryville plays Oak Ridge almost ever year in a pre-season scrimmage and last year the Maryville JV and Freshmen played Oak Ridge at Oak Ridge during the regular season. I am not going to boast about the score but both buses from Maryville went home happy. Oak Ridge has a great Football team and will always be good but playing Maryville in regular season won't happen. So Biggie Earl, If that makes us afraid to play you, then I guess you win. Put the results in your press guide and you can talk about for years.

825645312[/snapback]

So you guys pretty much have a locked schedule year in and year out? Up here we have the same number in the conference although I believe some of them should be in 3A or 2A. Plus, we have the annual "VT" game against Virginia High which only leaves two spots. Good thing we're playing DB and I think we'll play Science Hill but I'm not 100% sure on that yet.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how this thread was started by a poster with a grand total of 20 posts I have to wonder. Has Oak Ridge ever tried to schedule Maryville and been turned down? The onus always seems to be on Maryville to schedule bigger schools. It is a two way street. From last years schedule it appears OR played non region foes Clinton, Sevier County and DB. I will give you DB as a tough game but aside from them not exactly a "murderers row". Maryville has played MW dating back to 2001 and that is a 4A school that made the semi finals like three straight years before reaching the Title game in 2003. That game for Maryville and OR playing DB seems to be a wash. Alcoa, WB and Heritage are big money games at the gate and all schools would suffer greatly if these games were not played. And while Alcoa is a 2A school they have won two State titles since 2000. Why doesn't OR play Riverdale in the regular season? You shouldn't be putting off on someone else's scheduling when there are plenty of cupcakes on yours.

Edited by mhs

Seeing how this thread was started by a poster with a grand total of 20 posts I have to wonder. Has Oak Ridge ever tried to schedule Maryville and been turned down? The onus always seems to be on Maryville to schedule bigger schools. It is a two way street. From last years schedule it appears OR played non region foes Clinton, Sevier County and DB. I will give you DB as a tough game but aside from them not exactly a "murderers row". Maryville has played MW dating back to 2001 and that is a 4A school that made the semi finals like three straight years before reaching the Title game in 2003. That game for Maryville and OR playing DB seems to be a wash. Alcoa, WB and Heritage are big money games at the gate and all schools would suffer greatly if these games were not played. And while Alcoa is a 2A school they have won two State titles since 2000. Why doesn't OR play Riverdale in the regular season? You shouldn't be putting off on someone else's scheduling when there are plenty of cupcakes on yours.

825646233[/snapback]

I can honest say in answer to your question, probably. But the reason is not fear of competition, but having room in the schedule. Had the Virginia Plan gone through, we would be playing Maryville this coming year. As for our non-region opponents, Clinton is to us what Alcoa is to you. A great rivalry with a great gate for both schools. DB is THE class match-up in East TN 5-A football. When we scheduled Sevier County in 1999, they were State Champs. Of course, we don't play them next year, we play Jeff County, but even they were not our first choice. I am still convinced that if both schools had an opening in the same week, we would see a Maryville/Oak Ridge game.

First off I'm not a Maryville Rebel nor am I from Blount Co. so my reply is not in the heat of defending "my team". buttttttttt........

This is one of the most childish and obviously high schoolish oriented posts I've read since the boards closed in December. (you get this stuff with the freebies)

The Rebels are 4A and have a full slate with region play and the intercounty rivalries that are seemingly very important in Blount Co.  This years Maryville/Alcoa game is shaping up to be THE premier game in the state as regular season nonconference games go.  It just doesn't make sense to play a 5A school just to satisfy the curiosity of a few adult fans or satisfy some high schooler who wants a little pay back if he got his butt kicked in a pre-season scrimmage and is jealous of their post season championship vs a 2nd or 3rd round knock-out of his team. :blink:  :P  :P

825645123[/snapback]

first of all, what's wrong with being "high schollish" without high school, this site would exist.

Secondly, it would be a great thing if oak ridge and maryville would play anually. From what it seems, oak ridge and maryville seem to be fairly similar places with winning traditions. It would be a great rivalry and hopefully it will happen some day.