coaches working togheter

5A football fan

how important is it for middle school coaches to work with high school coaches as far as offense and defensive scemes?

825653833[/snapback]

I think it can be a real positive if your MS and HS coaches both coach the same scheme on offense and defense. That way, when these kids come from middle school come up as freshmen, they know what you will be trying to accomplish on offense and defense. Having your middle school coaches on the same page with the ones at your high school helps speed up the learning curve

I think it of very important. All the great championship teams that I know of have a great feeder program preparing the young ones for HS. Look at the old Marion County Teams, they started running VEER in 6th grade. Then look at those who don't work together, it takes two years to learn the system. I would not take a head coaching job without it.

how important is it for middle school coaches to work with high school coaches as far as offense and defensive scemes?

825653833[/snapback]

I believe that it is important for the middle school to be a model for what the high school is doing. I know that we have a clinic for all middle school coaches and rec league coaches to teach them the fundamentals that we teach for each position. Anything helps. I also think that it is not being done in a lot of places because young head coaches are not staying at their schools very long.

• 2 months later...

I coach a Pop Warner football team and encourage all my players to go out for Middle School ball. I try to prepare the kids for Middle School Football by teaching them the basics and the prefered formations the Middle School they will be attending likes to run. I now have 2 former Middle School Coaches helping me to achieve this it helps the kids prepare for the next level when they know what their new coach is talking about before they reach that level. I firmly believe the Middle Schools should do the same. I feel responsible to build their confidence and teach them the game to the level they should be. As a coach, if a player fails to gain anything from the game, either mentally or physically through teamwork, then I have failed.

Above all other things taught at the middle school level the most important is how to block and tackle another player CORRECTLY. It would be a HUGE benefit, to high schools, for the middle schools to run the same "bread and butter" plays and formations (while using the same terminology for blocking assignments and plays)as the high school teams. This should not limit the middle school coaches from putting in theier own plays. Defensively, a middle school team may not be able to run the same scheme as the high school team. But ALL football players need to know how to block and tackle.

How do high school spread offense teams coordinate with their middle schools? Do the middle schools try and run the same scheme?

Look at what many of the top teams in the USA do. The high school coaches hire the middle school coaches an tell them what system to run. The kids are placed in a program in the 6th or 7th grade and run the same formations each and every year. It is a huge advantage and one of the main reason for their success.

One thing we must remember is that in several states the whole coaching staff may not teach at the school. They could be an attorney, doctor, business owner, etc... and show up at the school @ 2:00pm for practice. These men are not volunteer coaches but paid football coaches that are hired by the head coach. Tennessee in behind in it's philosophy of who coaches their student/athletes.