Maryville vs. Alcoa

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Thats quite a breakdown on a game that won't happen til next season. :)

825663875[/snapback]

That's quite a negative statement comby on a game that's only 2 1/2 months away...where do you get NEXT season...the season is pratically HERE. They must not play very good ball where your from....no excitement. B)

Haters aside, FBE is confident and that's good. Maryville has every reason to be so. Nope, we're not as experienced on offense, but our defense should be stifling. Lasyt year MHS averaged just under 7 points a game in scoring defense. That should only improve.

If the D scores once or more a game this year and the offense scores a couple of times or more, we'll be hard to beat again. Something to keep in mind is that our offense won't stay young for long...I'd say till half way thru the 1st qtr of the alcoa game. thumb

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 14 days and 22.5 hours to be close but I'm not counting! I love the game and the HS level is the purest form of the great game. What’s better than young men playing a game mostly for the love or enjoyment of it?

I am also mildly concerned about the Offence. But the RB's are solid. We got two kids that I know of being developed by the Master of development of young QB's and RB's. WE got some size and speed stepping into the O line who got a fair amount of playing time last year while the first shirts got a rest because opponents were put away early. WR's? Some of those kids stepping in will be the fastest group collectively in recent years for the men in black. The special teams will have veteran kickers when most of the seniors on the squad are on the coverage teams. The coaching staff lost no one and I have heard every one of those fine men returning. We still got Mr. Joe Black the finest mender/healer known to man! What could be better? Hunt and Barnett will be able to make some plays and are smart enough not to get us beat. What could be better????

Alcoa is a very good team but not a great one and not the best they have ever had. 2A is not 4A, I don't care how you cut it! Melrose would have beat Alcoa like a dusty rug and was the fastest physical team I have ever seen in many years! They might have been the best team last year but Maryville again dug in when they had too, showed what champions do, and thus won yet another State Championship! All is good in Reb-ville.

Not trying to start anything, but it's off season for football and I don't see many Maryville fans on the softball board. There are lots of other sports to support in the spring, tennis, track and field, baseball, soccer, softball just to name a few. Most of the fans at the softball games are parents or relatives, don't see a lot of students. It's not just Maryville ,it's all the local high schools. I'm not much of a football fan (except UT) but I do attend one or two high school games a year......

Maryville and Alcoa should attach a "name" to their rivalry in all sports. The civil war thing is very much OVER USED.

They should come up with something like Oklahoma Univ. and Oklahoma State Univ. have. Whenever they compete against one another in Football, Wrestling, Basketball, whatever, they refer to it as "Bedlam Week".

Just a thought.

Maryville and Alcoa should attach a "name" to their rivalry in all sports. The civil war thing is very much OVER USED.

They should come up with something like Oklahoma Univ. and Oklahoma State Univ. have. Whenever they compete against one another in Football, Wrestling, Basketball, whatever, they refer to it as "Bedlam Week".

Just a thought.

825665845[/snapback]

Speaking from experience, things in Mary old Blount Co don't change much and certainly not easily. The series should have gotten a name years ago, but maybe it's sooo big it transcends titles. ;)

When someone says Maryville/Alcoa, most folks know they ain't talkin about two cities that are close in proximity...their talkin FOOTBALL.

How about "Clash of the Champions"

I dunno I tried  thumb

825666983[/snapback]

That's a lil provential...a lil snooty...though very accurate. I like it.

I think The Battle of the Twin Cities is cool.

Brandon Warren got some press today on his visit from Coach Fulmer. I saw him in the mall tonite. He looks like he's takin it all in stride. I started to yell "GO VOLS!" at him, but he deserves privacy while he can still get it.

I think Brandon will wear Orange in the end. thumb

That's a lil provential...a lil snooty...though very accurate.  I like it.

I think The Battle of the Twin Cities is cool.

Brandon Warren got some press today on his visit from Coach Fulmer.  I saw him in the mall tonite.  He looks like he's takin it all in stride.  I started to yell "GO VOLS!" at him, but he deserves privacy while he can still get it.

I think Brandon will wear Orange in the end.  thumb

825667255[/snapback]

Looks like Maryville may be going in as underdogs