McMinn vs Farragut

flamethrower99

Some of us who have been watching Knoxville high school ball the past few years did not expect the 2005 Farragut team to be the juggernaut that abused most of its opposition the past 3 years. However that doesn't make this year's edition a bad team.

They still won the district outright over some good teams.

This year's team doesn't have the experience on the mound that its predeccesors had. Go back to 2003 when you had juniors and seniors occupying the second tier in the rotation. You had a #5 (Stephen Haun) who 1-hit Sevier County and made a huge contribution in the state tournament.

Last year wasn't quite as deep after Cafferky left the squad, but you could still trot out a bunch of experienced starters.

The other thing the 03 and 04 squads had was power throughout the lineup. Eldredge, Delmonico, Waldrop, McKenry (in 03), Brown (04), Reagan, Sherrod, etc. just left no rest for the opposing pitchers. This year's lineup is strong, too, but its tough to replace that many contributors.

I agree it's too early to declare the Admirals dead. They rose up when it looked like South Doyle might take the district. They may still have a few tricks up their sleeve for 2005. But I do think they face some SERIOUS competition this year, both in the district tournament and from Halls if they make the region.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was the game played? if at McMinn the Athens Umps are 10th and 11th man on the field. As a P in High School we had to just throw fastballs to them Cleveland and Bradley anything else was a ball you had to make them swing the bats it seems like they knew this going into every game our strike zone at bat was just about everywhere so in turn we had to be very aggressive at the plate where these teams could pick and choose a belt high fastball. I hope this has changed but an apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

Where was the game played? if at McMinn the Athens Umps are 10th and 11th man on the field. As a P in High School we had to just throw fastballs to them Cleveland and Bradley anything else was a ball you had to make them swing the bats it seems like they knew this going into every game our strike zone at bat was just about everywhere so in turn we had to be very aggressive at the plate where these teams could pick and choose a belt high fastball. I hope this has changed but an apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

825665830[/snapback]

Sorry Sarge, but it hasn't changed at all.

hey a win is a win . dont try to make up excuses 4 why faragut lost. i know they had some unexperienced pitchers on the mound but in cased u didnt notice Mcminn started a freshman at shortstop. age and experience help to a certain degree but in the end you gotta know how to play ball reguardless. let Mcminn enjoy the victory. trust me they earned it! :blink:

I should have mentioned Jimmy. I didn't because I think he was the #3 starter that year, and I was talking more about the #5 position down. Jimmy would've been the ace on most other district teams.

He also excelled in the field for Farragut and is a prime example of the many Farragut players who are succeeding in college ball right now from the 02-04 era.

Thanks for mentioning him.

I know there are a number of other very good players from those teams that I've omitted. Not intentional, just bad memory. ;)

You can go back even farther and mention Jay Sadlowe, Davis Burklin, Hunter Rigsby, Brandon Hopkins, Chris Clark, etc. The list of qualilty players from Farragut is a long list. I guess that was the point I was trying to make earlier about Coach Pharr's program. The program that he uses has consistently created quality players (in 7 years , not counting this year, I think approx 22 players have gone on to play College ball) but more importantly the program creates quality TEAMS, 8 distict championships, 7 Region championships and counting. This fact makes me comfortable with the future of the Admirals.

This year's team has gone through a tough district with only one loss. Many can debate the pitching depth but I think they have shown that they can win the games that are important. That is not to say that they were not trying to win all of the games but as all Coaches do, they will give District games top priority. Who knows how far they will go this season but Memphis is a realistic goal. The future looks good also since they are actually a young team this year with many underclassmen seeing their first varsity action. They will only get better with another year experience in Pharr's program.

hey a win is a win  . dont try to make up excuses 4  why faragut lost. i know they had some unexperienced pitchers on the mound but in cased u didnt notice Mcminn  started a freshman at shortstop. age and experience help to a certain degree but in the end you gotta know how to play ball reguardless. let Mcminn enjoy the victory. trust me they earned it! ;)

825666068[/snapback]

No they didn't, they started a freshman at second.

Mcminn had a lot to prove during this game as Farragut dominated them in the first game and pulled out a come from behind victory in the second. I won't discredit their win except to say their players made a lot of bush league comments and actions. Probably the least classy team I have seen Farragut play, and thats a lot of teams.

Mcminn had a lot to prove during this game as Farragut dominated them in the first game and pulled out a come from behind victory in the second. I won't discredit their win except to say their players made a lot of bush league comments and actions. Probably the least classy team I have seen Farragut play, and thats a lot of teams.

825667021[/snapback]

what exactly are you referring to when you say "bush league comments and actions" what was said and done... just curious