Controversy in 3-AAA

HTV

Just throwing in my two cents here. I know rules are rules and that Halls can protest and win the game, but this just seems a little cheap. If you guys recall, there was a similar situation in boys basketball this past year where Halls backup point guard played in too many quarters in a certain period of time. The game that he was illegally playing in, he hit about 5 3's to help lead Halls past Powell. Coach Ogan was asked about this and, from what I've heard, simply said "If they can beat us with him playing that many quarters, they deserve to win." Now, obviously, I know it's a different set of coaches and players for Halls baseball than basketball, but it would have been nice to see Halls show the same kind of class that Coach Ogan showed them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this tells it all. No forfeit!!

Tennessee allows pitchers to throw no more than 10 innings on consecutive days -- for a total of 20 innings in two days. After one day's rest, a pitcher can again throw as many as 10 innings on two consecutive days. So even that rule would allow a player to throw as many as 40 innings over a five-day period, although it's unlikely a coach would allow it.

More From The Times-Picayune  |  Subscribe To The Times-Picayune

Sky's the limit? Not for pitchers

High pitch counts are hurting prep hurlers

Saturday, April 30, 2005

By Billy Turner

Staff writer

On March 29, Newman's prize senior pitching prospect Jeremy Bleich threw 144 pitches in a complete-game victory against Chalmette.

No one would argue that the pitch count that day for Bleich was high. Anything more than 100 pitches in an outing is considered high, high school coaches said.

But not all coaches chart pitches, and in Louisiana, the number of pitches Bleich threw was within the rules for one reason: The state does not limit the number of pitches or innings a player may throw.

Indeed, in this state there are few rules about pitching. Period.

The Louisiana High School Athletic Association handbook's only rule about pitching restrictions states that the principal of the player's high school shall determine how many innings a pitcher can throw in a week. But that also means, for example, that a principal can say his pitcher can throw in three consecutive games over three consecutive days if he or she chooses.

"Some states have tried to regulate the innings pitched, but it's an enforcement problem," LHSAA commissioner Tommy Henry said. "It's not like you have a central league with one scorekeeper. It turns into shambles when someone tries to stop the game and complain about how many innings a pitcher has thrown. How you gonna prove it? We put the health of the kid in the hands of his own principal."

Other states in the region, including Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama have innings limitations, though none have pitch limitations. Those rules vary greatly:

-- In Mississippi, a player may pitch no more than 17 innings per week.

-- Tennessee allows pitchers to throw no more than 10 innings on consecutive days -- for a total of 20 innings in two days. After one day's rest, a pitcher can again throw as many as 10 innings on two consecutive days. So even that rule would allow a player to throw as many as 40 innings over a five-day period, although it's unlikely a coach would allow it.

825668140[/snapback]

It means a total of 10 innings on consecutive days,not 10 per day.

Halls was beat in that game and have nothing to hang their heads about. Oak Ridge players played an outstanding game and deserve the win.Maybe their coach got caught up in the moment or what,that is a very tough way to lose by breaking the rules.The TSSAA ruling,what ever the outcome,both teams will be ready to play.No it is not a crappie way for a win as statement04 says,any coach worth his salt would do the same thing in that situation.Rules are the rules! Now about the Oak Ridge fans at the who showed no class screaming at the Halls coach and parents who were screaming about the Halls players being wimps.Your players showed great class and such be proud that they beat a good Halls team. If Halls wins by forfeit I'm sure Coach FRO will always be sorry for the way Oak Ridge baseball season ends.Oak Ridge players and coaches you played a great game hold your head high for on sat.you played great baseball. thumb thumb thumb

Tennstar33 you need to get your facts straight, Oak Ridge fans classless? I know exactly how Halls fans are, they have no respect for anyone and are some of the most obnoxious fans I've ever heard, talk about classless look at your own fans, they're are a few exceptions but most are the most obnoxious people I've heard. You got to be kidding me with that.....

-- Tennessee allows pitchers to throw no more than 10 innings on consecutive days -- for a total of 20 innings in two days. After one day's rest, a pitcher can again throw as many as 10 innings on two consecutive days.

825668184[/snapback]

The newspaper writer was wrong. Muffin and the others have it right. 10 innings (TOTAL) on consecutive days. Not 10 per day.

check out http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/baseball.pdf

-- Tennessee allows pitchers to throw no more than 10 innings on consecutive days -- for a total of 20 innings in two days. After one day's rest, a pitcher can again throw as many as 10 innings on two consecutive days.

825668184[/snapback]

From my understanding it is a combined 10 innings, but if not that would be great. Also, the automatic penalty of a forfeit seems kind of stupid. Nichols got ONE out and faced two batters in the inning that was illegal. We, up to that point, had played better than Halls. To penalize us one season for one out seems kind of extreme.

Edited by CardinalCat

825668184[/snapback]

You need to read your rule book,this problem came up 3 or4 years ago with my sons team,needless to say the umpires would not listen to our coach and let the other team play in the championship game,the ruling was overturned on Monday morning and we had to travel on that same afternoon and play a game.

Tennstar33 you need to get your facts straight, Oak Ridge fans classless?  I know exactly how Halls fans are, they have no respect for anyone and are some of the most obnoxious fans I've ever heard, talk about classless look at your own fans, they're are a few exceptions but most are the most obnoxious people I've heard. You got to be kidding me with that.....

825668183[/snapback]

Were you at the game? some 70 year old man came over to the halls stands and started yellin "Bunch of wimps" while flippin off a parent who told him to sit down and a fight almost ensued. Another parent also started yelling at the halls players and at coach polston when the game was over, what a cool guy. Oak Ridge fans were totally classless yesterday.