PARENTS

fleetwalker

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umpires can put fans outside the ballpark. i've seen it happen more than once. fans and parents are really getting out of hand. i was at a game a while ago and the opposing team's parents were yelling at the kid pitching and his team. i wouldn't know what to think if i was a player and a parent was yelling at me. i would probably explode. there is no reason a parent should verbally attack a player. it is sad, but it happens.

umpires can put fans outside the ballpark. i've seen it happen more than once. fans and parents are really getting out of hand. i was at a game a while ago and the opposing team's parents were yelling at the kid pitching and his team. i wouldn't know what to think if i was a player and a parent was yelling at me. i would probably explode. there is no reason a parent should verbally attack a player. it is sad, but it happens.

825669664[/snapback]

Umpires do not have that authority. Some assume that they do, and have ejected fans in the past, but they are not given that authority by rule.

The proper way for an umpire to handle a situation such as this is to stop the game, get the coaches out there, and say that we're not playing any more until this situation is under control or until this fan is out of the ballpark. If the coach refuses to diffuse the situation or remove an unruly spectator, then we call the ballgame because the coach has then defied a direct order from the umpire. If the fan refuses to leave after the coach tells them to do so, we then call the police (if there are none already present).

NFHS Rulebook:

Rule 10, Section 1, Art. 2: Umpire jurisdiction begins upon the umpires arriving at the field (within the confines of the field) and ends when the umpires leave the playing field at the conclusion of the game.

Truly, as an umpire, you can't be distracted by what's going on in the stands and you certainly don't have enough authority or leverage to make the fans behave anyway. Sitting the teams on their benches works. Calling the cops works too. Me stopping the game and arguing with some jerk in the stands is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by ksgovols

IT was the summertown and mp game and it would not have went on if summertown coach didn't try everything in the world to get a foreit . that's right and the umpires should have known the rules and none of it would have went on.

825671438[/snapback]

Quit making a jerk out of yourself, by calling people out. This thread was established with people like you in mind.