PARENTS

fleetwalker

Now, I post this will all understanding that when you have a child playing and you feel things are getting heated up, emtions are running really high.

Today, I watched a baseball game with parents literally screaming back and forth at each other during the game. I mean, juvenile stuff like, "look at the scoreboard, blondie" and "at least we ain't got bad attitudes!" Folks, how can we expect our young men and women to know how to behave and treat a game if their role models (like it or not parents, you are role models) are acting like they have no sense whatsoever!?

Now, I'm not saying that the occassional, "Come on, blue" or yelling for your team is a bad thing, but when you take the attention away from the game being played, you are showing a total lack of disrespect for what I think is the greatest sport in the world. When players and children act this way, it's not a good thing, but we have to keep in mind that they are just kids and we have to be the ones to teach them differently. But, when a parent is standing and screaming across the field at another parent or player that is totally inexcusable.

So, my question to you is, Parents what kind of example did you set for your son or daughter tonight? Would your child be proud to say, "thats my dad up there" or would he/she be humilated when someone said, "isn't that your mom flippin off the other team?" Think about it. It's in our hands, folks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I post this will all understanding that when you have a child playing and you feel things are getting heated up,  emtions are running really high. 

Today, I watched a baseball game with parents literally screaming back and forth at each other during the game.  I mean, juvenile stuff like, "look at the scoreboard, blondie" and "at least we ain't got bad attitudes!"  Folks, how can we expect our young men and women to know how to behave and treat a game if their role models (like it or not parents, you are role models) are acting like they have no sense whatsoever!?

Now, I'm not saying that the occassional, "Come on, blue" or yelling for your team is a bad thing, but when you take the attention away from the game being played, you are showing a total lack of disrespect for what I think is the greatest sport in the world.  When players and children act this way, it's not a good thing, but we have to keep in mind that they are just kids and we have to be the ones to teach them differently.  But, when a parent is standing and screaming across the field at another parent or player that is totally inexcusable.

So, my question to you is, Parents what kind of example did you set for your son or daughter tonight?  Would your child be proud to say, "thats my dad up there" or would he/she be humilated when someone said, "isn't that your mom flippin off the other team?"  Think about it.  It's in our hands, folks.

825669231[/snapback]

Amen, brother- thumb

i hate to break it to you but it happens in all sports

825669262[/snapback]

DONT KNOW IF THE FANS REALIZE THIS BUT, THEIR BEHAVIOR CAN COST THEIR TEAM A GAME..IF THE COACH OF THE OFFENSIVE PARENTS TEAM CANNOT TALK TO THEM AND SETTLE THEM DOWN AFTER A WARNING BY THE OFFICIALS, THEN IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE FOR THE UMPS TO FORFIET THE GAME TO THE OTHER TEAM..THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE VERY FAST. THERE ARE STRICT RULES ABOUT SPORTSMANSHIP FOR THE PLAYER AND COACHES AND THESE ARE MENTIONED IN EVERY PREGAME MEETING AT THE PLATE..SURELY THE FANS CAN SIT AND ENJOY WATCHING THEIR SONS PLAY BALL AND ACT LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN TO TOWN BEFORE FOR A LITTLE WHILE...IF THESE PARENTS COULD BE CAUGHT ON FILM AND THEN HAVE IT SHOWN BACK TO THEM LATER, I AM POSITVE THEY WOULD BE STUNNED AT HOW SILLY THEY ACTED IN PUBLIC..LET THE KIDS PLAY AND ENJOY THEIR YOUTH....

sounds more like the Summertown/CA game. I was embarassed to be sitting on the Summertown side when 3 moms got into a screaming match with the other side. Luckily they turned on the music and the screaming stopped. At least they were NOT screaming at the kids. But it was a GREAT game. Nice win CA.

GO SUMMERTOWN EAGLES.

:) I still remember the names of the kids whose Moms went rolling down the bleachers scratching and screaming 33 years ago at a Little League game. Some 5 or 6 years later, a couple of 'adults' got into a fist fight at an American Legion game. They all embarassed themselves and their families and those incidents are still brought up today at high school reunions and ballparks in town.

As an umpire, you can't toss fans, but you can put both teams on the bench until order is restored. Our LL park has zero tolerance for such behavior. We just call the sheriff to come and remove them from the premises. If adults want to act like idiots.......they'll be treated as such.

:)  I still remember the names of the kids whose Moms went rolling down the bleachers scratching and screaming 33 years ago at a Little League game.  Some 5 or 6 years later, a couple of 'adults' got into a fist fight at an American Legion game.  They all embarassed themselves and their families and those incidents are still brought up today at high school reunions and ballparks in town.

As an umpire, you can't toss fans, but you can put both teams on the bench until order is restored.  Our LL park has zero tolerance for such behavior.  We just call the sheriff to come and remove them from the premises.  If adults want to act like idiots.......they'll be treated as such.

825669413[/snapback]

I thought umpires could put fans outside the ballpark. I could be wrong.

I just don't understand what goes through a grown person's mind when they do some of these senseless things. I know not all parents are like that, in fact, most that I've seen aren't. But, little things like that lead up to bigger things happening on both sides of the fence. How can a parent defend a kid for barrelling over a catcher if they, themselves, have been jumping and hanging on the fence like a moron?