goles

jsmann

UNCFAN13, Touche. I had not looked at their schedule. It is true it appears that many of his goals did come against weak opponents, however their schedule is still much tougher than McMinn's. Also, I was a bit biased because of the fact that Lowder has a national reputation, which I am sure has nothing to do with his 30 goals this season. He is an extremely good player and that is why I deemed him to be the best scorer in TN. I have seen and played against Jared Price and my point is that he prays on the weaker teams, but once he plays strong teams he is not a very effective player.

825673023[/snapback]

The point of my post was not to demean either Price or Lowder. I'm sure they're good players but putting a whole lot of emphasis on goals (or goles depending on where you go to school) scored in a state where the competition is so uneven diminishes the emphasis on the great team sport of soccer. I think when the score differential gets to 6, you ought to turn the scoreboard off or have a mercy rule. A couple of years ago Bearden beat some team 20 or something to nothing. What did it prove except that the losing team was lousy. College scouts aren't overly impressed with putting a whole lot of points on the board against weak competition.

Edited by uncfan13

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from what I have heard, Lowder is the most prolific goal scorer in the state. Jared Price is a nice little player, but if he played the schedule of a Baylor, McCallie, Brentwood, or some of the Memphis teams he would be just a solid player. His game will not transfer to the college level as well as his teammate Kimball. Price let his speed and size make up for what in my opinion is a poor understanding of the game.

Lowder on the other hand is probably the best player in TN even though he is a junior. He has proven it against good competition this year.

825673011[/snapback]

Poor understanding of the game? haha you have to be joking. He knows the game very well, yes, he feeds off his teammates, but he is the one putting the ball in the net. He knows he wouldn't be the player he is if he didn't have his teammates, he talks about it all the time. But to say he has a poor understanding of the game is goin a little too far.

Well from what I have heard, Lowder is the most prolific goal scorer in the state. Jared Price is a nice little player, but if he played the schedule of a Baylor, McCallie, Brentwood, or some of the Memphis teams he would be just a solid player. His game will not transfer to the college level as well as his teammate Kimball. Price let his speed and size make up for what in my opinion is a poor understanding of the game.

Lowder on the other hand is probably the best player in TN even though he is a junior. He has proven it against good competition this year.

825673011[/snapback]

i also agree that saying he let his speed and size make up for his poor understanding of the game is an unfair statement. speed and size happen to be two of his attributes and he used them well.....his ability to break on a pass while remaining on sides compares with anyone on the high school level. and true, he may not tally an abundance of goals against top teams, (no one does) but his impact is still felt. defenses mark him heavily allowing opening elsewhere. he will do very well at the next level

UNCFAN13, Touche. I had not looked at their schedule. It is true it appears that many of his goals did come against weak opponents, however their schedule is still much tougher than McMinn's. Also, I was a bit biased because of the fact that Lowder has a national reputation, which I am sure has nothing to do with his 30 goals this season. He is an extremely good player and that is why I deemed him to be the best scorer in TN. I have seen and played against Jared Price and my point is that he prays on the weaker teams, but once he plays strong teams he is not a very effective player.

825673023[/snapback]

psa4....it is rather common in any sport to see a gifted athelete have impressive stats when matched against inferior opposition. a great running back in college might tally 250 yards against a non ranked vandebilt or the like. however it is rarely cosidered that these backs were praying, or should we say preying, on such teams. they were just superior atheletes with superior talent around them. it is also common to see such running backs have less impressive stats when facing a team of equivalent or superior tallent. lowder and price have both tallied the vast majority of their goals on weaker opposition....and both have scored against ranked teams.

as for national recognition...an article about price and mcminn written by joe trost, sports editor of the chicago sun tribune, published on Unapproved Website last season certainly would qualify as such.

Edited by soccermadness

psa4....it is rather common in any sport to see a gifted athelete have impressive stats when matched against inferior opposition.  a great running back in college might tally 250 yards against a non ranked vandebilt or the like.  however it is rarely cosidered that these backs were praying, or should we say preying, on such teams.  they were just superior atheletes with superior talent around them.  it is also common to see such running backs have less impressive stats when facing a team of equivalent or superior tallent.  lowder and price have both tallied the vast majority of their goals on weaker opposition....and both have scored against ranked teams. 

as for national recognition...an article about price and mcminn written by joe trost, sports editor of the chicago sun tribune, published on Unapproved Website last season certainly would qualify as national recognition.

825673379[/snapback]

Great post thumb

You wouldn't happen to still have a link to that article would you?

Great post thumb

You wouldn't happen to still have a link to that article would you?

825673385[/snapback]

i dont know if rivals archives their articles...it was @ Unapproved Website...then studentsports...then soccer. cree, kimball or hinshaw may have made a hard copy of the article...if you know them , check and see....sorry.

Guest LCStriker
Wow, you can't spell either.  You must go to BGA with Jsmann.

825672887[/snapback]

No actually I go to Lenoir City (AS YOU CAN SEE IN MY NAME!!!!), and where do you go BTW???

psa..one last thing then i will drop it.....there is really no need to bring down price in order to uplift lowder....lowder's accomplishments stand for themselves....no one will argue with you that he is one of the best players in the state. what makes soccer such a great sport is that there are several great players, all contributing to further the sport. having two prolific scorers from the same area is a good thing...having 4 is even better.

I am sorry if it appeared that I was tearing down price to put up lowder. That is in no way the case. My point is that I think we should take Price's goal count with a huge grain of salt, since it was against many many weak teams. That being said, I stand by my statment that I don't think that he will be an effective player against a higher level of competition. He (to no fault of his own) is just in a geographically tough position to play for a top club team that plays at a top level. He is a good player and has proven this in high school, but he has never really had the opportunity to play at an ODP or top club level. Therefore, I think that he has missed out on becoming one of the best players in the state. As a result, other players who have less talent but more experience and better coaching have passed him in my opinion.

I am sorry if it appeared that I was tearing down price to put up lowder. That is in no way the case. My point is that I think we should take Price's goal count with a huge grain of salt, since it was against many many weak teams. That being said, I stand by my statment that I don't think that he will be an effective player against a higher level of competition. He (to no fault of his own) is just in a geographically tough position to play for a top club team that plays at a top level. He is a good player and has proven this in high school, but he has never really had the opportunity to play at an ODP or top club level. Therefore, I think that he has missed out on becoming one of the best players in the state. As a result, other players who have less talent but more experience and better coaching have passed him in my opinion.

825673501[/snapback]

wow i thought the knoxville fire (his club team) were a top club team