Curious that no one has commented on

davidlimbaugh

The profanity rule was not enforced by umpires in the games I watched this year. In one game 2 players were heard by the umpires using profanity and nothing was done. Umpires should not be allowed to choose which rules they want to enforce. The profanity issue was talked about in great detail at the rules meeting. Why have the rule if it isn't going to be enforced?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The profanity rule was not enforced by umpires in the games I watched this year.  In one game 2 players were heard by the umpires using profanity and nothing was done.  Umpires should not be allowed to choose which rules they want to enforce.  The profanity issue was talked about in great detail at the rules meeting.  Why have the rule if it isn't going to be enforced?

825685615[/snapback]

Good point. In the meetings I attended, we were instructed to address all profanity including the word "stinks." Yes, that's right, the TSSAA now considers that profanity and inappropriate. We were not told necessarily to eject for all incidences, however. For the under-the-breath utterances we were told to give a stern warning. For blatent outbursts, which what appears to have happened here if those some distance away heard it, we were told to eject immediately. Don't know the severity in this case because I wasn't there, but it seems odd that any ejection would be overturned unless it dealt with some initial misinterpretation of the rules, slinging the bat before a team warning had been issued for example.

I guess the word I attempted to type is filtered and was replaced with "stinks." The word starts with "s" but rhymes with "tucks."

Edited by uknowme

I was at an umpires meeting where we were told "s..cks" was not a word the TSSAA felt was appropriate. How can they stand by and let a "gee dee" be used (directed at an umpire)and the player be the winning pitcher in a State championship game? I can't believe this.

Edited by doubledrip

Yep. I was at a pre-season meeting where the TSSAA guys told the umpires and coaches in the audience that s..cks and above were not to be tolerated this year. Start off with warnings and up the ladder. Basically, it is a judgement call if you are going to issue warnings and let under the breath things go. The example we were given is that the language heard 'from the stands' should be something you don't mind your tee baller repeating to you when you get home or would mind repeating to your mother.

That being said, Mr. Hines' partner didn't back his call. I'd never work another game with him.

Yep.  I was at a pre-season meeting where the TSSAA guys told the umpires and coaches in the audience that s..cks and above were not to be tolerated this year.  Start off with warnings and up the ladder.  Basically, it is a judgement call if you are going to issue warnings and let under the breath things go.  The example we were given is that the language heard 'from the stands' should be something you don't mind your tee baller repeating to you when you get home or would mind repeating to your mother.

That being said, Mr. Hines' partner didn't back his call.  I'd never work another game with him.

825685877[/snapback]

Who was the plate umpire? and where is he from?

Who was the plate umpire? and where is he from?

825685912[/snapback]

Wormsley argues ejection reversal not right

First base umpire Wayne Hines initially signaled Packer had been ejected. Hines changed his mind after a conversation with home plate umpire Bill Hammond.

I have been told that Mr. Hines never 'changed his mind' :D

Wormsley argues ejection reversal not right

I have been told that Mr. Hines never 'changed his mind'  :lol:

825686058[/snapback]

That's what I've been told as well David. I've never been in a situation where my partner left me hanging like that. A pretty exasperating experience I'd think. Umpire decorum would be to back your partner under all circumstances unless he appeals for your assistance on a ruling or call. An utterance of a profanity that perhaps only the umpire in the field heard would not be a call that should be appealed.