Top Players in the Chattanooga Area

bigin52

Redraider, you may be right, but then again, Temple has had two SEC coaches on campus and a dozen phone calls talking about Smithson, Seth Skogen, and Josh Smith.  So, they are getting attention. Coach Shula from Alabama told Temple's coach Beard that he is keeping his eye on Seth.  Seth's brother Caleb, although already signed to play BB has drawn interest this summer from Kentucky and Vanderbilt.  Again, maybe nothing will happen, but the coaches are talking and this at least says something about the talent that these kids have.

825687939[/snapback]

Is this first hand info and were you there or maybe heard it through the grapevine? I seriously doubt that any SEC scouts or coach’s had went to a Temple game last season the speed of the game from 1A does not compare to most 4A or 5A teams. It will be a long shot for anyone in 1A football to make it big time but I could be wrong and hope that I am. Not to say these guys are not any good but I believe it is bad marketing on the parents behalf and should think about sending their kids to a McCallie or Baylor if they choose the private school systems over public. Case in point how many SEC recruits have come out of Chattanooga in the last 10 years and then where did they play. Riggs (Red Bank) Bullock twins (Hixson) to name a few. It is extremely sad that Chattanooga has a lot of great athletes that get looked over by the top programs even our beloved UT but they have recruited elsewhere for longer than I can remember. UT Chattanooga should take advantage of this and recruit heavily from middle and east Tennessee and north Georgia to pull in the crowds to our beautiful stadium we have. Yes they still need to find the blue chip guys but it is my belief if a player is from that state or area they play harder to prove more and have more heart than some guy from California that would probably say oh well we lost and go on their way. Good luck to all those future stars I support them and am proud of their accomplishments thus far. Chattanooga is family.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this first hand info and were you there or maybe heard it through the grapevine? I seriously doubt that any SEC scouts or coach’s had went to a Temple game last season the speed of the game from 1A does not compare to most 4A or 5A teams. It will be a long shot for anyone in 1A football to make it big time but I could be wrong and hope that I am. Not to say these guys are not any good but I believe it is bad marketing on the parents behalf and should think about sending their kids to a McCallie or Baylor if they choose the private school systems over public. Case in point how many SEC recruits have come out of Chattanooga in the last 10 years and then where did they play. Riggs (Red Bank) Bullock twins (Hixson) to name a few. It is extremely sad that Chattanooga has a lot of great athletes that get looked over by the top programs even our beloved UT but they have recruited elsewhere for longer than I can remember. UT Chattanooga should take advantage of this and recruit heavily from middle and east Tennessee and north Georgia to pull in the crowds to our beautiful stadium we have. Yes they still need to find the blue chip guys but it is my belief if a player is from that state or area they play harder to prove more and have more heart than some guy from California that would probably say oh well we lost and go on their way. Good luck to all those future stars I support them and am proud of their accomplishments thus far. Chattanooga is family.

825688193[/snapback]

This is first hand info. I talked to the Kentuckys Assistant Head Coach at my school for about 20 minutes, and 1411111 ate lunch with one of Vandys coaches and talked to the same guy I did for over an hour. Just because a person plays 1A football doesnt mean he isnt as good or cant compete with a 4a or 5a player. Ive played both 4a and 1a, and there is a difference. But just because a player plays in a lower division doesnt mean he isnt a good.

BTW: There will be scouts at Temple games next year.

Edited by bigbody1220

This is first hand info.  I talked to the Kentuckys Assistant Head Coach at my school for about 20 minutes, and 1411111 ate lunch with one of Vandys coaches and talked to the same guy I did for over an hour.  Just because a person plays 1A football doesnt mean he isnt as good or cant compete with a 4a or 5a player.  Ive played both 4a and 1a, and there is a difference. But just  because a player plays in a lower division doesnt mean he isnt a good.

BTW: There will be scouts at Temple games next year.

825688198[/snapback]

Read the fine print man.

Not to say these guys are not any good but I believe it is bad marketing on the parents behalf and should think about sending their kids to a McCallie or Baylor if they choose the private school systems over public. Case in point how many SEC recruits have come out of Chattanooga in the last 10 years and then where did they play. Riggs (Red Bank) Bullock twins (Hixson) to name a few.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches who visited Temple heard of these players through the grapevine while in Chattanooga while visiting Jacques at Baylor because there have been many coaches at Baylor recently. To name a few Fulmer, O-Line Coach from Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Alabama. So they probably made pit-stops while in the area visiting the stud.

Read the fine print man.

Not to say these guys are not any good but I believe it is bad marketing on the parents behalf and should think about sending their kids to a McCallie or Baylor if they choose the private school systems over public. Case in point how many SEC recruits have come out of Chattanooga in the last 10 years and then where did they play. Riggs (Red Bank) Bullock twins (Hixson) to name a few.

825688215[/snapback]

I didnt say what u said was wrong or anything just giving you the facts. And redraider that could be a possibility bout the pit stops.

825688905[/snapback]

Not saying that the Temple players are not good players but!!

The level of competition that Temple faces is one step above flag football.

There is a major difference in standing in the pocket when the defense

is a club level A team vs a major DII or 4 or 5A school. Speed, Speed, Speed,

and size to go with it. I think that its great that the Free press gives High school

Football the coverage its does in the Chattanooga area but I do think that

stats from Temple vs stats from the major schools are WORLDS apart.

Why don't you get your coach to call Coach Monroe-OHS, Coach Potter-McCallie,

or Coach Weathers-SDHS to scrimmage this August and invite these D1

coaches back so you can prove your point of how good these players are.

If they don't get a chance to compete against good competition it will be very hard for them to get a serious look from any school.

As the previous poster commented I am not putting down the Temple players

but when you state they they could start for any team in Chattanooga, even

UTC, I'm convinced that you have never "been there, Done that".

So, If you want to play with the Big Boys see if you can get them to make the call.

Temple doesn't have the numbers to play with the big boys.

Skogen and Smithson are skill players and are being looked at regardless of who they play. Just look at the size of these guys and their athletic ability. Coaches see more than just who you play. THey know who they play and are not fouled by a 400 yard passing performance by Smithson against Grace or someone. (just an example)

The fact is, coaches are looking at them. It is stupid to say they should go to McCallie or Baylor. They are at Temple for more than just b-ball and football. Eddie Moore didnt have much problem being recruited from S. Pitt. (single A)

All of the arguements are just message board material. You won't see temple play the big boys because they would get killed physically they just don't have the numbers. (I think they would admit this)

IF you havent seen these guys play, you shouldn't be commenting about their abilities.

We will just have to wait and see.

Skogen and Smithson are skill players and are being looked at regardless of who they play.  Just look at the size of these guys and their athletic ability.  Coaches see more than just who you play.  THey know who they play and are not fouled by a 400 yard passing performance by Smithson against Grace or someone.  (just an example)

The fact is, coaches are looking at them.  It is stupid to say they should go to McCallie or Baylor.  They are at Temple for more than just b-ball and football.  Eddie Moore didnt have much problem being recruited from S. Pitt. (single A)

All of the arguements are just message board material.  You won't see temple play the big boys because they would get killed physically they just don't have the numbers.  (I think they would admit this)

IF you havent seen these guys play, you shouldn't be commenting about their abilities.

825688928[/snapback]

My main point is that they need to compete against good competition so that they can showcase their talents. The Furman camp is a great camp for QB's and receivers. 6-19 -6-22 and 6-26 - 6-29. They will have over 500 QB's and rec.

7 on 7 this summer vs teams like Ooltewah is the scrimmages

I was referring to. I don't think OHS would have a real scrimmage against

Temple. The UTC camp is more of a team camp but they do have skill

players attend also. Reduced rates for area teams to attend.

Most of the Football and Baseball scholarships are not earned in the regular seasons but in showcase camps and summer leagues.

Skogen and Smithson are skill players and are being looked at regardless of who they play.  Just look at the size of these guys and their athletic ability.  Coaches see more than just who you play.  THey know who they play and are not fouled by a 400 yard passing performance by Smithson against Grace or someone.  (just an example)

The fact is, coaches are looking at them.  It is stupid to say they should go to McCallie or Baylor.  They are at Temple for more than just b-ball and football.  Eddie Moore didnt have much problem being recruited from S. Pitt. (single A)

All of the arguements are just message board material.  You won't see temple play the big boys because they would get killed physically they just don't have the numbers.  (I think they would admit this)

825688928[/snapback]

Your right about one thing SP won the 1A State Championship in 1999 but this was still in 1-3A regions statewide and their competition was a lot greater than today’s 1A teams. Yet there are some 1A teams out there that can still beat just about anyone on any given day but the fact still remains in order to be the best you have to play the best. Eddie Moore was a man playing amongst boys in 1A like I said before it will be a long shot for anyone from 1A to make it big time but it still can happen. We will just have to sit and wait. I would love to be wrong and sometimes I am, but in this case I wouldn’t put my money on it. Good luck again.

Baylor and McCallie are well respected not just for their student athletes but Colleges look to them because they have a solid education which is a good tool for a coach who does not want to worry about their grades slipping in college. One more thing before I go (LOOK WHO THEY PLAY). I don’t see a Grace or a no name team that Chattanooga has never heard of, they just go out and play the best and that’s my advice to Temple. Their enrollment is not in large numbers either but it is mandatory for each student to play an extracurricular activity there. which I would advise to every school in Hamilton County to do the same….

Read the fine print man.

825688215[/snapback]

Just a question: has there been any players from Baylor or McCallie recruited by an SEC team? Again, just a question.