Who's the best player to come out of your school?

bhsOL

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie Brown - UT - best known for getting his teeth knocked out while blocking a punt against Memphis (I think). Played Saftey and had a long career in the NFL and USFL. Led the NFL in Kick Returns in 1973. Played in the Super Bowl with the Rams and I think was on a USFL champion team also.

I think that Eddie Brown actually lost his teeth while blocking a Field Goal Attempt ....against the Kansas Jayhawks, took the ball and almost scored. U T then scored just before the half to get some Much-Needed Momentum.

The Kansas QB (I think his name was Jaynes *only a guess* had nearly humiliated the Vols Defense ....until that Amazing Play by Brown. John Ward sounded like he was going to jump from the press box when Brown made that play; one of the greatest plays in U T History.

Brown played for several seasons for Coach George Allen - Yes, the Virginia Senator's late Father. Coach Allen once said of Brown, that as long as he (Allen) had a job, Eddie Brown would have a job. Now that's High Praise from one of the Best NFL Coaches Ever.

Ernie Mills (1960's) and Dale Fair (1970's) were Betsy guys who played at Tennessee

825691370[/snapback]

There was Johnny Mills, who, until Kelly Washington's 13 catch, 200-plus-yards performance against LSU, was the single game record holder. Did it against Kentucky. Stop by his Green House and talk with him. He was an Outstanding Receiver.

It's not my school i go to Hampton,but someone has to say something

Elizabethton- Jason Wittin UT- Dallas Cowboys thumb

825686242[/snapback]

Hey BIG DAWG,

Ask J. C. about David Holtsclaw, "The Hampton Hammer" (Early Sixties), who made All-American at ETSU. Now my neighbor in "Bulldog" Hollow (how ironic, huh?)

Dale Fair actually won the Starting Fullback position at UT, until his first major knee surgery. I think Fair and Danny Jenkins were both All Americans at EHS. Jenkins started at least Two Seasons at D T for U T during the early Johnny Majors years.

And Ron Davis - Same Team - Played at Virginia Tech. Great Player - Super Kicker.

But that team, which lost to National Champion, Tennessee High - 21 - 15 had several outstanding players. Johnny Goodwin, was the wide-out. Pete "Pink" McKinney (name ring a bell?) might have played on that same team.

Present Head Coach, Eddie Pless played at ETSU.

From Red Bank

1. Gerald Riggs (2000 Tennessee) - Wait until this year, he is the man!

2. Marty Lowe (1990 Louiville)  QB

3. John Becksvort ( 1990 Tennessee)  Kicker

4. Mike Kelly (1984 Tennessee)  Linebacker

825694670[/snapback]

At least Ralph King didn't transfer in from Mississippi or Georgia, like two on your list. Red Bank was very fortunate with all the players dropping into their laps over the years.

Edited by Indian

I'll probably miss someone, by the best that I know of from Knox Central are:

1.  Tim Irwin--UT  all pro with the Vikings

2.  Reggie Cobb--UT and Tampa Bay Bucs

3.  Todd Helton--UT QB and Colorado Rockies

4.  Cassen Jackson--Vandy

825686170[/snapback]

Bob Suffridge UT's only 3 time All-American, wasn't he from Central?

Now I know most of you people are from east Tn so you more than likely would not know nor care, but The High School of Melrose out of Memphis has the pretty much undisputed best players too come of high as a whole in the state with the likes of Kindal Moorehead who played for Alabama, and now plays for the Carolina Panthers, Cedrick Wilson, who played for Tennessee and now plays with The San Fransisco 49ers. Pro Bowler Jerome Woods who went to the University of Memphis and now plays for the Kansas City Chiefs. Dewayne Robertson who played for Kentucky and was a top 5 pick in the draft a couple of years ago and now plays with the New York Jets, and finally Andre Lott who also played with the vols and now play with the Washington Redskins. I just named those guys but there are plenty more that i did not name that are playing major ball right now like Antnio Heffner and Elix Wilson so with out a doubt they have the best to come out of high school as a whole in Tennessee.

825691915[/snapback]

Memphis Melrose has produced the most NFL players in state history - Eleven

Best of the rest: Memphis Hamilton - 9 NFL Players

Austin-East, The Baylor School & Memphis South Side - 7 NFL Players each

Dobyns-Bennett, Bradley Central and old Knoxville High - 6 NFL Players each

Alcoa, McCallie, Memphis Manassas, Memphis Northside & Oak Ridge - 5 NFL players each.

Ralph King - Most overrated player ever to play for Riverdale, he couldn't hold

Gerald Riggs jock strap!

825694669[/snapback]

At least Ralph King didn't transfer in from Mississippi or Georgia, like two on your list. Red Bank was very fortunate with all the players dropping into their laps over the years.

825694901[/snapback]

Riggs probably is the better back, but he also outweighed Ralph by about 40 pounds. I don't know about Riggs total stats in high school, but Ralph rushed for over 5,000 yards and over 80 touchdowns his junior and senior year.

Memphis Melrose has produced the most NFL players in state history - Eleven

Best of the rest: Memphis Hamilton - 9 NFL Players

Austin-East, The Baylor School & Memphis South Side - 7 NFL Players each

Dobyns-Bennett, Bradley Central and old Knoxville High - 6 NFL Players each

Alcoa, McCallie, Memphis Manassas, Memphis Northside & Oak Ridge - 5 NFL players each.

825694906[/snapback]

biglon68,

Those were Great Posts! And you're probably the one to ask - - - Did the Great Doug Atkins (Maybe Adkins) attend High School in Tennessee?

And the Majors Brothers - I think they were from the Sewanee Area; but I don't know which High School they attended; all were Outstanding Football Players.

825694901[/snapback]

You sound like a jealous idiot and remember this Ralph King couldn't hold Gerald

Riggs jock strap!!!!!!!!!!!