Who's the best player to come out of your school?

bhsOL

Sycamore high's best ever is without question Wes Proctor (1998-2001).  Proctor was a two year all-state athlete on the gridiron at Sycamore and this year will be his third year starting for the Austin Peay Governors. 

Cheatham County high's best ever college success is Michael Jackson (1996-1999).  Jackson was a two year starter for the Cubs and was an all-region offensive lineman.  He started four years at UT-Martin from 2000-2003. 

Harpeth high's best is probably the best football player to ever walk onto a football field in our county and he is Matthew Tant (1997-2000).  Tant was a two-time all-state athlete and is the school's all-time leading rusher.  He started three years of college football at Vanderbilt from 2002-2004.

825695848[/snapback]

In resonse to Tant, I personally saw a lineman who was a '98 Milan Grad. and when Milan beat Harpeth en route to their state title, that milan lineman (who nobody really knew about)pushed tant around all night until tant when to the referee saying, "he's holding me!" When the ref went on to say, "shut up boy, you're getting whipped, he ain't holding you."

Best players from Milan would definitely have to be:

Jeff Smith (UT)

Earnest Fields (UT)

John Fisher (UT)

George Kidd (UT)

-- And I really think Rod Smith will start to make an impact this year on a talented Memphis Tiger team.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Red Bank wasn't fortunate to get Riggs, Ellis, Lowe, Parker, others, over the years, then it wasn't luck, they were brought or arranged to go there on purpose. Which is it?

825697041[/snapback]

Ever since 1974 under Tom Weathers Red Bank dominated Chattanooga football.

If you moved to the Chattanooga area and your son was a good football player all

you had to do was ask who had the best football program and Red Bank was the answer unless you wanted to go private. We were also forunate enough to have Lynn Byrd who ran the Home for Troubled Children. Yes, such players as Parker,

Fletcher Williams made this place their home for they had no parents to speak of.

Once a coach builds a dynasty such as Tom did at Red Bank kids will come to you

to play and the coach doesn't have to recruit at all. Riggs and the Ellis brothers all had good homes but their parents wanted them to play with the school that could give the best chance at taking it to the next level. I've never said that Red Bank wasn't lucky, but remember a good team will make it's own luck and Tom Weathers did that a lot. I am a big Red Bank fan, I played their and my father played there under Marion Perkins. Together, since 1964 we have only missed less than twenty games thats pretty loyal, my dad took care of the sound system at the sadium for years until he got to old to do the job. My oldest son played at Red Bank, and personally I have nothing against Ralph King, he was a good back. But, I do get as kick out of getting a rise out of certain people on these posts and I got a good one out of a couple of you on this one. Riverdale has a great history of winning football games and has become a super program that is

competitive year in and year out. I remember playing basketball my junior year

at what was then Murfreesboro Central they had a stud named Leo Martin who went on to play for Vanderbilt he was super player, this was just one year prior before Oakland and Riverdale came on to the scene. Having said all of this I still

say Gerald Rigggs is a super back and could have a great senior year at UT as well as a good pro career.

Guest catfish-hunter
In resonse to Tant, I personally saw a lineman who was a '98 Milan Grad. and when Milan beat Harpeth en route to their state title, that milan lineman (who nobody really knew about)pushed tant around all night until tant when to the referee saying, "he's holding me!"  When the ref went on to say, "shut up boy, you're getting whipped, he ain't holding you."

Best players from Milan would definitely have to be:

Jeff Smith (UT)

Earnest Fields (UT)

John Fisher (UT)

George Kidd (UT)

-- And I really think Rod Smith will start to make an impact this year on a talented Memphis Tiger team.

825697054[/snapback]

The Tant you are referring to is Jason Tant (Matthew's older brother) who wore #58.

Matthew was the fullback at Harpeth who wore #32 thumb He was that beast that wore #28 for Vandy the past three years.

Ever since 1974 under Tom Weathers Red Bank dominated Chattanooga football.

If you moved to the Chattanooga area and your son was a good football player all

you had to do was ask who had the best football program and Red Bank was the answer unless you wanted to go private.  We were also forunate enough to have Lynn Byrd who ran the Home for Troubled Children.  Yes, such players as Parker,

Fletcher Williams made this place their home for they had no parents to speak of.

Once a coach builds a dynasty such as Tom did at Red Bank kids will come to you

to play and the coach doesn't have to recruit at all.  Riggs and the Ellis brothers all had good homes but their parents wanted them to play with the school that could give the best chance at taking it to the next level.  I've never said that Red Bank wasn't lucky, but remember a good team will make it's own luck and Tom Weathers did that a lot.  I am a big Red Bank fan, I played their and my father played there under Marion Perkins.  Together, since 1964 we have only missed less than twenty games thats pretty loyal, my dad took care of the sound system at the sadium for years until he got to old to do the job.  My oldest son played at Red Bank, and personally I have nothing against Ralph King, he was a good back.  But, I do get as kick out of getting a rise out of certain people on these posts and I got a good one out of a couple of you on this one.  Riverdale has a great history of winning football games and has become a super program that is

competitive year in and year out.  I remember playing basketball my junior year

at what was then Murfreesboro Central they had a stud named Leo Martin who went on to play for Vanderbilt he was super player, this was just one year prior before Oakland and Riverdale came on to the scene.  Having said all of this I still

say Gerald Rigggs is a super back and could have a great senior year at UT as well as a good pro career.

825697343[/snapback]

Finally a decent post from you! Do you know what Fletcher Williams is doing these days? I know he signed with MTSU in 2001 and I ended up quiting. Do you happen to know why he quit or what he's doing know?

remember playing basketball my junior year

at what was then Murfreesboro Central they had a stud named Leo Martin who went on to play for Vanderbilt he was super player, this was just one year prior before Oakland and Riverdale came on to the scene

that man went on to win 2 national championships at Oklahoma

Edited by Harris' hooligans

The Tant you are referring to is Jason Tant (Matthew's older brother) who wore #58. 

Matthew was the fullback at Harpeth who wore #32 thumb  He was that beast that wore #28 for Vandy the past three years.

825697571[/snapback]

Thanks catfish-hunter,

Somebody finally answered my question about the Tant brothers. Didn't Jason get a scholarship offer to Vandy as well as Matthew later on did?? We played Harpeth in some of their best years three times in the late '90s in the playoffs. I have a game ball here at the house from one of those games when my son was with the team here.

Finally a decent post from you!  Do you know what Fletcher Williams is doing these days?  I know he signed with MTSU in 2001 and I ended up quiting.  Do you happen to know why he quit or what he's doing know?

825698015[/snapback]

Fletcher was starting in the spring at linebacker for MTSU his Solphmore year. Then for some crazy reason Fletcher got into trouble with drugs and was asked to leave. My son says that he is attending classes at Chattanooga State, what a lost

of talent, he was a good linebacker. Why kids do what they do sometimes I'll never know.

Brentwood has had football for only 22 season, but the best to come out of the program were:

Clay Whitehurst, starting wide receiver at Alabama in the mid-80's

David Armstrong, QB who went on to QB at Western KY also in the mid-80's

Robert Loudermilk, starting kicker at UT and member of National Championship Team

Bill Whittemore, Mr. Football in 1998, University of Kansas, now trying to find a home in Arena Football

Austen Everson, runner-up for Mr. Football in 2002, starting QB for Ohio University.

Josh Van Horne, who unfortunately never made it in college, was All-State LB and a beast - maybe had the most big-time potential of all the Bruins. Some of the posters might remember his brother Ian, who was Defensive MVP of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Bowl, and was an All-State selection in 2003 as well, but has yet to settle into a college football program.

Numerous others had excellent, All-State careers, but never made a huge splash (or have yet to) in college.

None have made it to the NFL as of yet

Brentwood has had football for only 22 season, but the best to come out of the program were:

Clay Whitehurst, starting wide receiver at Alabama in the mid-80's

David Armstrong, QB who went on to QB at Western KY also in the mid-80's

Robert Loudermilk, starting kicker at UT and member of National Championship Team

Bill Whittemore, Mr. Football in 1998, University of Kansas, now trying to find a home in Arena Football

Austen Everson, runner-up for Mr. Football in 2002, starting QB for Ohio University.

Josh Van Horne, who unfortunately never made it in college, was All-State LB and a beast - maybe had the most big-time potential of all the Bruins. Some of the posters might remember his brother Ian, who was Defensive MVP of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Bowl, and was an All-State selection in 2003 as well, but has yet to settle into a college football program.

Numerous others had excellent, All-State careers, but never made a huge splash (or have yet to) in college.

None have made it to the NFL as of yet

825698156[/snapback]

I thought Brentwood Academy had a punter that played for Auburn 2001-2005?