Top Facilities

turf_master_s2s

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best facilities in Tennessee would be MBA, McCallie & Baylor. With Rutledge (MBA) and John Hannah (Baylor) being former players for Coach Bryant at Alabama and playing numerous years in the NFL you can bet you sweet cheeks that they will only get bigger and better. The question is will all of the other schools have the resources and desire to keep up.

To answer the last post, I believe DB is one public school that has outdone the privates this time. I live in middle TN. I have seen MBA, BA, Riverdale and many others mentioned earlier. Nobody touches DB's new field house and weight room in Kingsport. As mentioned earlier it is better than most colleges. DB got about a $5 million dollar new facility for just under $4 million because the surrounding contractors, builders, etc wanted to donate or reduce prices to construct this monster. I know it is a long way for many of you, but you have to see it. It was not in use for the 2004 season because it was not finished, but it is ready for the 2005 season. It was funded through private donations. This facility will help keep DB competitive for many years. My family was active in raising donations for the new facility. There is a large granite indian head - bought with a specific, anonymous donation placed in the floor of the main entrance, it is valued at around $250,000 not included in the overall cost of the building. Also all of the weight equipment is first class and the special floor is one of only two in Tennessee, the Titans have the other. Nothing but the best.

Edited by bud

Are you saying DB has no chance to win state despite the fact that they have danced all around it for about 10 years? Trust me, it will come and the new facility will help the cause in the long run. Not saying we will see immediate results next year, but over time it will make a difference and the way I see it, DB has been right there and can't quite get over that hump. And the way I see it again when you are on a hump you can't quite get over; you need a push and that push is the new facility. No other program in Upper East TN has had the long term success that DB has had on a repetitive basis. Sure teams have a streak here and there. Name one team, Knoxville not included as I said upper east TN. Every year they are tough as nails.

Edited by bud

bud,

My guess is that MBA will make an announcement soon about a new athletic facility. They purchased the entire street & homes behind the school and are in the process of tearing the homes down. Let's remember that most of those homes cost 400,000+ and they are being demolished. If I were a gambling man I would put the money on Baylor and Mr. Hannah to build a facility that most D1 college teams would like to have. With an endowment pushing 200 million, Baylor can do anything that they want. With the money that some of the D2 schools have it is very difficult for Notre Dame, Catholic, BGA, and Father Ryan to compete. They simply do not have the financial resources to keep up.

I have heard rumors of a new MBA facility, I work with many MBA alumni and when they build, it will be first class.

825690131[/snapback]

MBA recently opened new athletic fields on 42nd avenue in the Mcabe area but it is my understanding that they are primarily for the middle school teams and spring sports to save wear and tear on the game field.

There is currently construction going on to build a new press box that should be completed in the very near future.

MBA actually began purchasing the houses on Brighton Avenue (the street that runs parallel to West End behind the campus) in the late 1990's. They have recently begun demolishing these properties although there are still a few that have not been able to be purchased. It is my understanding that the tennis courts will be moved to this new space as well as a few new fields. I think the existing tennis courts are slated to become parking.