South Pittsburg

kingbrian3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'' have to admit that the arrival of Boyd certainly created a road block for SPs usual dominance. The team a couple of years ago that lost to Boyd in the semis was a very strong team that would have made it to the state championship had they not faced the tri-state all-stars.

Everyone seems to think Temple is an up and coming program but I don't see them reaching the same heights as BB.

The Pirates should easily win 7 games this season.

I'' have to admit that the arrival of Boyd certainly created a road block for SPs usual dominance.  The team a couple of years ago that lost to Boyd in the semis was a very strong team that would have made it to the state championship had they not faced the tri-state all-stars.

Everyone seems to think Temple is an up and coming program but I don't see them reaching the same heights as BB.

The Pirates should easily win 7 games this season.

825710348[/snapback]

I think Greenback, Temple, Whitwell, Sequatchie and Marion could go either way.

South Pittsburg should have an interesting team this year.  Probably a year or two away from another state championship run.  You've got to feel sorry for guys like MCdad who spend their days and nights waiting for the Pirates to slip.  Well, Jasper got a LUCKY break last year but that is not enough to turn the table.  SP has the talent and program that Jasper longs for.  Go Pirates.

825710330[/snapback]

Marion County won the football game last year by completing a TD pass late in the game, similiar to the way the So. Pittsburg Middle School championship team barely got by the beat up MC Middle School team to finish the year undefeated. Neither team was lucky. I saw both games. I believe that the best team won in each case. The Pirates are loaded with team speed and ability. From what I see, so is Marion County. All I foresee is four more years of hard fought football games as these freshman classes compete. Both programs have been down; both are well on their way back. I do believe that, given their respective regions, Marion County has by far the more difficult road to travel. The Jamboree is only a week away. The SP/MC quarter should be entertaining.

From what I have heard and a little of what I have seen they will be playing in the offensive backfield. Jones I think is playing some on defense as well. Yes they have speed like you wouldn't believe.  Mitchell would definitely rival Sam Pickett in that category.  South Pittsburg scrimmages at Midway today and Polk Co. on Tuesday that is when we should start seeing how they will do instead of just talking about it.

825709903[/snapback]

Wondering how the three-way with South Pitt, Midway and Scott County went tonight.

Marion County won the football game last year by completing a TD pass late in the game, similiar to the way the So. Pittsburg Middle School championship team barely got by the beat up MC Middle School team to finish the year undefeated.  Neither team was lucky.  I saw both games.  I believe that the best team won in each case.  The Pirates are loaded with team speed and ability.  From what I see, so is Marion County.  All I foresee is four more years of hard fought football games as these freshman classes compete.  Both programs have been down; both are well on their way back.  I do believe that, given their respective regions, Marion County has by far the more difficult road to travel.  The Jamboree is only a week away.  The SP/MC quarter should be entertaining.

825710366[/snapback]

You are right about the regions. I've always thought SP should have played up in the 2A region but not anymore. I've always wanted to see a Tyner Rams and Pirate match-up but I could not care less if we ever meet up with the Boyd Bucs again. You guys can enjoy the trip over to N. Moore Rd. every other season now. At least they have new seating!

SP must do the following to be successful over the next "3 or 4 years".

1. Keep Robinson and Montrell in academic eligibilty.

2. Keep Robinson and Montrell from dropping out of school.

3. Keep Robinson and Montrell from transferring to North Jackson.

This is not an easy task, given the recent history of some players from SP.

825714987[/snapback]

I feel disappointed when I hear about Hutchins, Pickett, etc being arrested and knowing they had college educations in their hands, but didn't take advantage. I know every school has players that end up not doing the right things, but for a 1A school they've sure had a lot. I thought Perry Hutchins had NFL potential. Same for Kenny Smith, who ended up at North Jackson (goes back to one of your points).

SP must do the following to be successful over the next "3 or 4 years".

1. Keep Robinson and Montrell in academic eligibilty.

2. Keep Robinson and Montrell from dropping out of school.

3. Keep Robinson and Montrell from transferring to North Jackson.

This is not an easy task, given the recent history of some players from SP.

825714987[/snapback]

The Robinson you're referring to must be Robert (#24), because Hades will freeze before either of Keith's boys (Cody and Chase) will ever leave SP. As for Robert and Montrell, I'm confident that both will remain academically eligible, neither will drop out, and neither will think of transferring anywhere. They're both good young men totally dedicated to the SP athletic program. Just guessing, but I would bet the return of Arland Matthews this year will end the migration of SP players to NJ.

The Robinson you're referring to must be Robert (#24), because Hades will freeze before either of Keith's boys (Cody and Chase) will ever leave SP.  As for Robert and Montrell, I'm confident that both will remain academically eligible, neither will drop out, and neither will think of transferring anywhere.  They're both good young men totally dedicated to the SP athletic program.  Just guessing, but I would bet the return of Arland Matthews this year will end the migration of SP players to NJ.

825715007[/snapback]

I also saw a familiar face at the jamboree on Friday night........Cody Walker.

News is he has returned this fall to SP from (where else...) North Jackson. I hope the kid can get himself together and stay in school. I really enjoyed watching him run the football...... except against us of course.