Maryville- No Flags, signs, etc

so until someone can attribute a "problem" to maryville, they should be allowed to do whatever they want?  That's a rhetorical question.  Of course not, trying to PREVENT things from happening is always better than waiting until they happen to say oops.  Let's be honest, the rebel flag thing is not THAT big of a deal in the whole scope of "wrong" vs. "right."  But, I have respect for good-hearted people that are trying to make the right decision.  The flag is prejudicial to some people and it just makes sense to eliminate the possibility of it creating a problem down the road.  It's probably the right thing to do.

825691366[/snapback]

Exactly. The majority of us Maryville fans cheer with our voices and hands, and the flag issue will not be a big deal. Maryville is a progressive school and trying to prevent things from happening in a county that has increasing racial tensions whether or not people want to admit it.

I guess noisemakers, laser pointers, etc are also being banned. What purpose does a laser pointer have at a football game other than to distract the players? And the people who bring those sirens are just attention-seekers who serve to ruin the game for everyone sitting around them. I don't think the majority of Maryville fans will mind those bans at all.

I'm hoping the passionate Maryville posters on this board are a minority. Some are talking about trying to change the face of the school board in the next election over this issue...which is completely nuts!!! We are blessed with one of the best school systems in the state in Maryville. School board must be doing something right, and should not be changed.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

morbid, jlay and jc...get a seat in the front row in July and watch the 1st Amendment in action. It'll guarantee your rights to carry the Rebel flag to the first Maryville home game...should I buy you each one? <_<

1st AMENDMENT....change the constitution or go home thumb

I'd love to hear you all argue that....talk about an exercise in futility :lol:

Edited by Rebel Nation

I feel compelled to comment on the Rebel Flag issue based on something that happened in my home county in Kentucky a decade ago. 

At Todd County Central HS in Western Kentucky our nickname was the Rebels.  As you entered the school you were faced with the school logo which incorporated an American flag.  On our basketball floor were painted two rather portly Confederate soldiers holding the Stars and Bars.  Waving the Rebel Flag wasn't a regular practice but its presence was everywhere (including the yearbook cover).  I never really thought much about it.  I saw it as part of the symbol of my school.  I knew it was a symbol of the Confederate South (and later the more historically correct Confederate battle flag) but I never thought about the fact that others might find it offensive.

My class of '91 senior ring has a track logo on one side and a Rebel flag on the other.  Again, it was pride in my school and in no way an indication that I had any racist feelings whatsoever. 

If you walk into the halls of Todd Central today you'll find no sign of the Rebel flag (except for old copies of the yearbook in archives) and there's good reason why. 

Ten years ago three black students shot and killed a white TC graduate.  The white guy was driving through a predominantly poor minority neighborhood with a large rebel flag flying from the back of his pickup, and he was also supposedly saying some racial epithets not printable here. 

It brought to a head the racial symbolism of the flag and its ability to incite passions on both sides of the issue in a quiet rural county in Kentucky. 

I was at my 10th reunion a few years ago and the topic of the flag was brought up while I was talking with a few friends, some black, some white.  The black friends said that they didn't really feel like they could express that they didn't like the flag becuase nobody would've listened to them.  I was wearing the ring that night but haven't worn it since and I'm thinking about paying to have the rebel flag removed. 

I guess my point is that the Stars and Bars CAN and DOES often spike passions on both sides that are better handled through rational conversation.  There should still be enough passion at a Maryville football game without waving the flag. 

Now, it will be impossible to eliminate ALL offensive symbols to ALL who attend an event (for example, PETA members upset the football's made of leather).  However not being allowed to wave a flag (or fire an annoying air horn) shouldn't change the passion Maryville fans have for a football program that's no question one of the top half dozen in the state.

825690579[/snapback]

Re : " Ten years ago three black students shot and killed a white TC graduate. The white guy was driving through a predominantly poor minority neighborhood with a large rebel flag flying from the back of his pickup, and he was also supposedly saying some racial epithets not printable here.

It brought to a head the racial symbolism of the flag and its ability to incite passions on both sides of the issue in a quiet rural county in Kentucky. "

You really have your facts screwed up. The " white TC graduate " was actually the basketball coach who was well liked by the blacks on the team and in the school. The inuendo about racial remarks is BS as well. It never happened. The criminal animals who shot this guy did so at random with no provocation. The flag in question was on the truck for school pride. The race hustlers Sharpton and Jackson in their attempt to absolve these so called misguided youths of any repsonsibility for killing an inocent , peaceful, family man who was a proven friend to the black students spouted their unique brand of stupidity with gems like,

" isn't it tragic that a racist symbol got this man killed ". The lies about racial insults were tossed in by the good reverands and their minions to try and justify a cold blooded killing.

morbid, jlay and jc...get a seat in the front row in July and watch the 1st Amendment in action.  It'll guarantee your rights to carry the Rebel flag to the first Maryville home game...should I buy you each one? <_<

1st AMENDMENT....change the constitution or go home  thumb

825692190[/snapback]

Yea...guess I could wear a Nazi SS uniform and carry a big flag with a Swastika on it...but I don't...because it's offensive to some people.

And if the school wants to make a decision in order to prevent problems, then I will respect that decision. I know you all only care about what happens at football games, but Maryville Middle school is starting a multicultural diversity program this fall. Such a great and progressive school system. They are definitely doing good things where issues of diversity are concerned.

I know you can argue the first amendment 'til you're blue in the face over this issue...but when the school is trying to do something to protect students and prevent problems, can't you just respect their wishes and be content with just watching the game?? Why are you making such a big issue over this??

Sorry, RebelNation...had to leave your board. No debate there...like talking to a brick wall.

Yea...guess I could wear a Nazi SS uniform and carry a big flag with a Swastika on it...but I don't...because it's offensive to some people.

And if the school wants to make a decision in order to prevent problems, then I will respect that decision.  I know you all only care about what happens at football games, but Maryville Middle school is starting a multicultural diversity program this fall.  Such a great and progressive school system.  They are definitely doing good things where issues of diversity are concerned. 

I know you can argue the first amendment 'til you're blue in the face over this issue...but when the school is trying to do something to protect students and prevent problems, can't you just respect their wishes and be content with just watching the game??  Why are you making such a big issue over this??

Sorry, RebelNation...had to leave your board.  No debate there...like talking to a brick wall.

825692209[/snapback]

jlay, I respect your right to have an opinion...not sure I'm gettin the same kind of love in return. :lol:

I was enjoying your input on my site and hope you'll continue to do so, because if both sides aren't heard, it's not fair.

ps you tryin to guess what I do and don't care about and the nazi jab gave me a pretty good chuckle... <_<

Edited by Rebel Nation

morbid, jlay and jc...get a seat in the front row in July and watch the 1st Amendment in action.  It'll guarantee your rights to carry the Rebel flag to the first Maryville home game...should I buy you each one? ;)

1st AMENDMENT....change the constitution or go home  thumb

825692190[/snapback]

<_< I said wasn`t going to get back into this. This really will be my last post on the subject. (I hope)

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The 1st amendment and the rights it provides have been skewed, and misread by the general public so much that it is no longer used for its intended purpose. I`m sure you had a U.S history class where you learned why there was a need for the 1st amendment. Despite what you might think, the 1st amendment does not give you the right to say whatever you want, and do whatever you want. The 1st amendment gives the right to speak out against the government, the 1st amendment gives the press the right speak out against the government. The entire 1st amendment deals with restricting government interference, not giving you the right to do and say what you want, when you want. One clause of the 1st amendment deals with the freedom of speech, and people have used that one clause as a spring board every time they feel their rights are being infringed upon.

You don`t not have the right to make threats on the president and pass it off as freedom of speech. You can say you`re going to blow up a building and after you`ve been arrested say that your 1st amendment rights were violated. Even the press doesn`t have full freedom of speech, you can`t have entrenched reporters giving out locations of troop movements under the rights of the 1st amendment. The press does not have the right to print military secrets, but they do have to speak out against the military actions. You have to be able to see the difference. In a public school system, the administration has to be able to dictate policy because student don`t have a choice whether they go to school or not. Law states that people under the age of 17 must go to school, because of that rights that students have at their homes do not translate to the school. You can say things at home that you can`t say in schools, and everyone knows this. Once you get to a school environment, where everyone is forced to come, you cannot say and do whatever you want. The school has the responsibility to protect its students (all of its students by the way, the 10% or the 90%), because the students MUST go to schools. If a schools deems that something could be potentially harmful, it is their responsibility to remove whatever it is.

As far as I can tell, Maryville is taking PREVENTATIVE measures to keep POTENTIAL problems from happening.

BTW Rebel Nation, I can see the argument from the Maryville fans perspective. The flags are tradition and part of the history of Maryville high school, but I would hate for something terrible to happen and then have people say "wow, we could have avoided this."

this is not a First Amendment issue, sorry.

825692234[/snapback]

No p9morbid only official oppression....and that is a Class E felony according to Tennessee Code Annotated 39-16-403....

Official Oppression T.C.A. 39-16-403

(a) A public servant acting under the color of office or employment commits an offense who:

(1) Intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or to arrest, detention, stop, frisk, halt, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment or lien when the public servant knows the conduct is unlawful; or

(2) Intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity, when the public servant knows the conduct is unlawful.

(:blink: For the purposes of this section, a public servant acts under color of office or employment if the public servant acts, or purports to act, in an official capacity takes advantage of such actual or purported capacity.

© An offense under the section is a Class E felony.

(d) Charges for official oppression may be brought only by indictment, presentment or criminal information; provided that nothing herein shall deny a person from pursuing other criminal charges by affadavit or complaint.

Edited by STARSNBARS

As far as I can tell, Maryville is taking PREVENTATIVE measures to keep POTENTIAL problems from happening.

BTW Rebel Nation, I can see the argument from the Maryville fans perspective. The flags are tradition and part of the history of Maryville high school, but I would hate for something terrible to happen and then have people say "wow, we could have avoided this."

825692224[/snapback]

Dow you REALLY believe that a flag will cause anyone to go out and kill someone? I think words and actions other than waving a flag will be a cause. When you look at William Blount, can you say, "wow, if we had just banned that darn flag this would have never happened" ? No, it had no affect at all!