AAU Nationals

By reviewing the AAU website it appers SE/TN association will have more teams represented at Nationals in the 9u - 12u than any other association. Looks like the SRT format is working for getting more teams qualified. :) But it still appears the overall amount of teams in each age group is down a little.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total Number of Teams In Each National Tournament

9U - 29 Teams. Tennessee is sending 2 teams. Total number of teams for this tournament isn't too bad considering this is the first year for this age group.

10U - 68 Teams. Tennessee is sending 5 teams, which ties it for the most with Potomac Valley, Indiana, and Florida.

11U - 77 Teams. Tennessee is sending 6 teams, which ties it for the most with Indiana.

12U - 80 Teams. Tennessee is sending 6 teams, which makes it the most represented association in this age group.

13U - 104 Teams. Tennessee is sending 7 teams, which ties it for the most with the Potomac Valley.

*Note: The 13U age group was taken from the Dayton Lady Hoopstars website, who are the hosts of the 13U National Tournament, and therefore, may not have all the teams listed just yet. For example, they did not have the Shelbyville Sport Shop listed yet, but I included them figuring there would be no way they would skip Nationals.

Total Number of Teams In Each National Tournament

13U - 104 Teams.  Tennessee is sending 7 teams, which ties it for the most with the Potomac Valley. 

*Note:  The 13U age group was taken from the Dayton Lady Hoopstars website, who are the hosts of the 13U National Tournament, and therefore, may not have all the teams listed just yet.  For example, they did not have the Shelbyville Sport Shop listed yet, but I included them figuring there would be no way they would skip Nationals.

825692380[/snapback]

Ptguard, what is the site for that info? All I can find is the home page and it doesn't offer as much info as it did a few months ago. Did they change their website? I know the SSS Nike is going, already booked the rooms, just don't know about the listings? Some of our parents have said they have seen the lists (I haven't, can't find anything on either website about team listings, AAU or Daytons) but we aren't listed. Just want to make sure we ARE included and not left out by mistake. Thanks ahead for any info.

does anyone have any predictions on on how the TN  teams will do in the nationals?

825693246[/snapback]

I'm going to do my best to answer this question.

9U

The Tennessee Team Pride is a better team then the Tennessee Top Guns, but the Top Guns got the way better pool. I think a higher seed coming out of pool play will be essential to determine how this tournament goes. It is really hard to pick this age group because anything, and I mean anything, can happen at this age. Good luck to both of these teams.

10U

From the looks of the pools, I believe 2, maybe 3, teams will advance to the Championship Bracket. I think the FCA Lady Eagles will win their pool outright and could possibly go pretty deep into the tournament if things fall their way. The Tennessee Xtreme is another team that I think will come out of their pool. The Northwest Rockers from the Middle Atlantic Association could give them some trouble and the Acadina Stars from Louisiana and the Central Jersey Hawks won't be pushovers either. However, I liked what I saw from them and they are definitely capable of playing with just about anyone.

My maybe team is the Tennessee Express. I think Indiana's Finest will probably destroy them, but if they can get those other two wins against the Lady Royals of North Carolina and the Maryland Sure Shots, then they will advance. However, the Express are not a team that is going to blow anybody away so those games should be close. If they can get the ball inside and stay out of foul trouble then they have a shot. If they have to go to their bench or settle for outside shots, then it's going to be a long tournament for the girls from Lawrenceburg.

The other two teams, the Tennessee Raiders and the Tennessee Team Pride, I just don't see them advancing out of their pools. They are in tough pools mainly because of their finish at the Tennessee State Tournament. I think the Team Pride will go on to do fairly decent in the Shootout Bracket, while I think the Raiders will be 2 and done in the Shootout.

11U

In this tournament, I think 1 team will most definitely qualify for the Championship bracket, with 3 others hovering on the fence. The first team to advance will be the West Tennessee Lady Tigers. They are in the only 5 team pool, which I expect them to win. They are big, strong, and fully capable of playing with alot of the top teams if they play to their potential. They could potentially do very well if they bring their "A" game.

My 3 maybes are the Tennessee Lady Trotters, Tennessee Team Pride, and the Lady Shox. All 3 teams are in pools where there are 4 really solid teams. Most of these pools will have an outright winner, but picking which team will take that 2nd spot is very tough. If any of these teams make it through pool play, I don't know that they have all the necessary components to play with the top tier teams.

The 2 teams that I feel are probably heading towards the Shootout bracket are the Memphis Lady Elite and the Memphis Glory. It really pains me to say that the Lady Elite are probably not going to make it into the Championship bracket. I love watching that team play, especially that little point guard (I think her number is either #00 or #3), because she is something else. Unfortuanately for them, they ended up in a pool with the overall #9 seed in the tournament, Monteray Park Heat, and the Pacific Association Champions, Mission Rec. Center. Now they should beat the Winston-Salem Steelers from North Carolina, but taking down either of those other two teams will be no easy task. They would possibly have to have their best game all year to even be in either of those games down the stretch. Regardless, if they don't make it into the Championship Bracket, I think they will do pretty well in the Shootout Bracket. As for the other Memphis team, the Glory. I don't really see them winning a game at Nationals. They got in because of a Super Regional that they hosted in which the only other decent teams in it already had a bid to Nationals. I just don't think that they have the guard power to play with teams at the National level.

12U

I think 3, maybe 4, teams will advance out of pool play into the Championship Bracket. I think the KGC Lady Pride, Tennessee Lady Trotters, and Tennessee Lady Tigers will all advance into the Championship Bracket. From what I saw at the State Tournament and from how their pools look, I believe these 3 teams stand the best chance of advancing through to the "Big Show."

KGC has an easy pool because they are the #4 overall seed and I don't really see anyone in their pool that could challenge them. The Tennessee Lady Trotters will probably lose to the Jacksonville Lady Rams (by 10 - 20 points), but should be able to handle the other 2 teams in that pool, who are not all that strong. The Tennessee Lady Tigers will matchup well with all 3 teams in their pool because of their size and depth. They could win all 3 games in that pool or lose all 3 games in that pool. Their pool is a tough one, because all 3 teams are pretty evenly matched, so games in that pool should be close. As a special note, if both the Lady Trotters and Lady Tigers finish 2nd in their pools, then they would meet up in the first round of the Championship Bracket which could prove to be somewhat of an interesting matchup.

The other team that may get though is the Cookeville Crushers, who if they can play like they did at the State Tournament could handle both the Minnesota Lady Suns and Bucks County Wildcats in their pool. However, I am afraid they will just have to take the 20 - 30 point beating the defending National Champions, Texas Thunder, are going to give them.

The remaining two teams, the Memphis Lady Elite and Tennessee Team Pride, just got unlucky in the pools that they were placed in. The Team Pride drew 2 Association Champions and a team from New York (who I think was that association's runner-up). I don't see them making the Championship Bracket, but I do see them doing well in the ShootOut Bracket, possibly finishing top 5 or higher. The Memphis Lady Elite ended up in a pool with 3 perennial National powerhouses. I don't think that even on their best day could they even come close to beating Beyond The Rim, who is the overall #2 seed and my pick to win the tournament. Then they have to contend with the Florida State Runner-Up, Clearwater Greenwave, and the always tough East Bay Xplosion from the Pacific Association. If they don't make it into the Championship Bracket, I see them doing pretty well in the Shootout Tournament as well.

13U

I will update this as soon as the brackets for this age group become available, but overall I expect Tennessee to do very well in this tournament.

wow ptguard12 you never cease to amaze me! how in the world do you keep up with all the age groups on a national level

have you ever thought about a state aau newsletter with news on tournaments and the like?

someday id really like to meet you face to face and talk some ball

by the way the info im getting on the tuckahoe titans are that they are a pretty good team....have you heard anything?

thanks

ptguard12

while I think the Raiders will be 2 and done in the Shootout.

PT, you maybe correct in this statement but they have picked up three kids and are not the same team thery were in the state although 4 of the starters remain. Losing to FCA in a really close game.

I'm not sure they will make much noise but if the three girls they picked up mix well they might win a few more games.

I heard they picked up some so that makes them a little differant team. But I sure am not disputing you because of the unknown.

wow              ptguard12                you never cease to amaze me! how in the world do you keep up with all the age groups on a national level

have you ever thought about a state aau newsletter with news on tournaments and the like?

someday id really like to meet you face to face and talk some ball

by the way              the info im getting on the tuckahoe titans are that they are a pretty good team....have you heard anything?

thanks

825693336[/snapback]

Robpride,

I've never thought about doing a newsletter but I really kinda like the idea.

Now, as for the teams in your pool. The Tuckahoe Titans are the Virginia Association Champions, so the probably aren't a pushover type of team. Your pool also has the Dayton Lady Hoopstars, who as you know are a fixture at the National Championships every year and in every age group. However, they got their tails handed to them twice in their Association Championship by the Queen City Jaguars (#10 overall seed at Nationals) by 18 and 19. However, they will probably be reloaded for Nationals. The Twin State Titans are the Vermont State Champions. Size wise I would say they are about average based on a picture I saw of them. However, they don't strike me as a bunch that will really give your team any problems.