TSSAA bylaw question

Ohio Vol

A coaching friend of mine who is looking to move to Tennessee for his full-time job wanted to see if we could get a specific TSSAA bylaw interpreted.

In Section 7, Article B states that a football head coach must be an educator or retired educator (both with an active certificate). But Article E says that a non-faculty assistant may become a head coach in football as long as he has five years experience as an assistant, has taken the NFHS Coaches' Education clinic, and done TSSAA coaches training.

He has two years of assistant coaching experience in Ohio for football at one of the state's top programs and we're having an interesting time trying to figure out his particular situation. Do the five years' required experience have to be consecutive, do they have to be at the same school, and do only years coaching in the state of Tennessee count toward the five years?

Thanks in advance.

A coaching friend of mine who is looking to move to Tennessee for his full-time job wanted to see if we could get a specific TSSAA bylaw interpreted.

In Section 7, Article B states that a football head coach must be an educator or retired educator (both with an active certificate).  But Article E says that a non-faculty assistant may become a head coach in football as long as he has five years experience as an assistant, has taken the NFHS Coaches' Education clinic, and done TSSAA coaches training.

He has two years of assistant coaching experience in Ohio for football at one of the state's top programs and we're having an interesting time trying to figure out his particular situation.  Do the five years' required experience have to be consecutive, do they have to be at the same school, and do only years coaching in the state of Tennessee count toward the five years?

Thanks in advance.

825693713[/snapback]

I don't think his Ohio coaching time would count. I would think he would have to coach in TSSAA system for that time. I wouldn't think the years would have to be consecutive. The only time a nonfaculty member can be a head coach is if there is no faculty coach available. These are my opinions only. Tell him to call TSSAA for a clarification.

I don't think his Ohio coaching time would count. I would think he would have to coach in TSSAA system for that time. I wouldn't think the years would have to be consecutive. The only time a nonfaculty member can be a head coach is if there is no faculty coach available. These are my opinions only. Tell him to call TSSAA for a clarification.

825694696[/snapback]

Coaching experience is coaching experience in any state you get it............. The TSSAA ruling you are referring to as I understand it, (and it has come up in my school system) only applys to the need of a school to hire a head coach in the emergency case of a teacher not being available (or wanting) to take the job, any teacher by the way. You might have an ex. D1, NFL Pro-Bowler, etc.,etc., available and wanting to be a volunteer coach. However, with no TN teaching license or education degree to obtain one, the 5th string scrub from the worst 0-10 team with barely HS playing experience (or the home ec. teacher for that matter) will get the job if the aformentioned scrub/home ec. teacher is a licensed teacher employed by the school system in question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the TSSAA ruling and LAW of the land as quoted to me.

Edited by possumcop

There are TSSAA guidelines and then there are local school district guidelines. For example, a coach may be qualified as a non faculty head under the TSSAA part but not under the local guidelines (as is the case with Metro Nashville). Private schools have a little more room to do what they want with this situation. From what I have been told, a retired educator who meets the qualifications can be a head coach in any sport and is treated as any other full time faculty member. It is then up to the school and/or school district to decide if they want to apply any other requirements on top of that.

This is why the state of Tennessee is so far behind some of the other states.  In states like Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, & PA the coaching staff only has to have a BA or BS to be eligible to coach.

825695926[/snapback]

The reason Tennessee is behind (if we are) is

Texas 19,274,300

Florida 15,012,200

California 33,198,100

Ohio 11,197,900

Pennsylvania 12,044,200

Tennessee 5,398,200

That's the biggest difference.