Byrnes vs MBA

Rebels93

Here's the format:

The field is 40 yards in length. Games last 22 minutes. Six offensive players (plus an optional center) compete against seven defensive players in a one-hand-touch format. No running plays, doubles passes or shuffle passes are allowed.

Quarterbacks have four seconds from the snap to get off a pass. Teams have three downs to make a first down, which is awarded for crossing the 25-yard line and the 10-yard line.

Touchdowns count for six points, followed by a PAT play from the five-yard line. Two-point conversions from the 10-yard line are possible only in tournament play. The defense receives two points for forcing a turnover on downs and three points for an interception.

Byrnes will be very good based on what I've read (and thanks to Antwan for the numerous reminders; what team wouldn't have its hands full with a team with those accomplishments?), but things are obviously different in true game play as Redtwin intimated.  Quarterbacks are rushed, hits are made, offenses can choose between run and pass, etc.  That being said, Byrnes's passing game should be in solid shape come August 20.  I'm sure MBA's gameplan will be as well.

825704502[/snapback]

Exactly.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the format:

The field is 40 yards in length. Games last 22 minutes. Six offensive players (plus an optional center) compete against seven defensive players in a one-hand-touch format. No running plays, doubles passes or shuffle passes are allowed.

Quarterbacks have four seconds from the snap to get off a pass. Teams have three downs to make a first down, which is awarded for crossing the 25-yard line and the 10-yard line.

Touchdowns count for six points, followed by a PAT play from the five-yard line. Two-point conversions from the 10-yard line are possible only in tournament play. The defense receives two points for forcing a turnover on downs and three points for an interception.

Byrnes will be very good based on what I've read (and thanks to Antwan for the numerous reminders; what team wouldn't have its hands full with a team with those accomplishments?), but things are obviously different in true game play as Redtwin intimated.  Quarterbacks are rushed, hits are made, offenses can choose between run and pass, etc.  That being said, Byrnes's passing game should be in solid shape come August 20.  I'm sure MBA's gameplan will be as well.

825704502[/snapback]

Hey...don't get me wrong. I'm definitely pulling for you. I know MBA has a great team and program. I think this team is far and away better than Trinity was the last two years. I hope you can pull it off...but I don't think this one will be close. If it is...it will be a big plus for Tennessee DII high school football.

When are a few of the other top teams in Tennessee going to place their golden balls on the line against teams as skilled as Byrnes? It's hard to claim you are the best if you don't test your team against the best. Well I guess that the last statement is false because people do it every day on this forum.

When are a few of the other top teams in Tennessee going to place their golden balls on the line against teams as skilled as Byrnes?  It's hard to claim you are the best if you don't test your team against the best.  Well I guess that the last statement is false because people do it every day on this forum.

825704651[/snapback]

I don't think the winner will get a golden ball unless you are providing one. ;)

antwain,

I would provide a set of gold balls for teams that wanted to step up and play teams like Byrnes, DeLaSalle, Valdosta, etc... My guess is that most teams don't want to put their reputation on the line and that is ok. Just don't claim to be the best if you don't test your team against the best from all over. Times have changed in high school athletics and we are not living in the 60's or 70's anymore.

antwain,

I would provide a set of gold balls for teams that wanted to step up and play teams like Byrnes, DeLaSalle, Valdosta, etc...  My guess is that most teams don't want to put their reputation on the line and that is ok.  Just don't claim to be the best if you don't test your team against the best from all over.  Times have changed in high school athletics and we are not living in the 60's or 70's anymore.

825704934[/snapback]

Most schools don't have the money to globetrott. It costs a lot of money to travel even to neighboring states. Most don't want to blow their whole athletic budget on one trip. The teams that have money...a la BA...MBA can do that.

Most schools don't have the money to globetrott. It costs a lot of money to travel even to neighboring states. Most don't want to blow their whole athletic budget on one trip.  The teams that have money...a la BA...MBA can do that.

825704947[/snapback]

A lot of money problems can be solved by fundraising or booster clubs. Sure it takes effort but schools like Valdosta and Byrnes put forth great effort in generating extra revenue to support their programs. There are plenty of public school teams that do it but if the desire isn't there, the money won't get raised.

antwain,

Like I said times have changed. Most of the time teams have their travel expenses taken care of by some type of civic group. When the cost of tickets for these intrastate games are about 10.00 each and you have 5000 paying fans the gate could pay most if not all of the cost. In the case of Byrnes and MBA they have a home and away so both schools will have the opportunity to make some very good money.

antwain,

Like I said times have changed.  Most of the time teams have their travel expenses taken care of by some type of civic group.  When the cost of tickets for these intrastate games are about 10.00 each and you have 5000 paying fans the gate could pay most if not all of the cost.  In the case of Byrnes and MBA they have a home and away so both schools will have the opportunity to make some very good money.

825704970[/snapback]

c

Times may have changed for some...but not for many. Like I said...most schools cannot raise that kind of money. What civic group are you referring to...the Glee Club? Check out Byrnes' website...see what I mean about that school. Not many people are going to pay $10.00 either. You really have no clue.

Edited by Antwan

A lot of money problems can be solved by fundraising or booster clubs. Sure it takes effort but schools like Valdosta and Byrnes put forth great effort in generating extra revenue to support their programs. There are plenty of public school teams that do it but if the desire isn't there, the money won't get raised.

825704968[/snapback]

Comparing Tennessee public schools to Valdosta and Byrnes is not logical. We don't have any programs like that. Your school and other larger privates do have that kind of money...or have the resources to raise it.