Titans top draft pick arrested

He could use an attitude adjustment.

825700862[/snapback]

Muffin is the only one on here whose comments apply in my opinion. Everyone else, bash all you want, if you live in other NFL cities, you'd see that the arrest of NFL players is a common occurance. That being said, he (pac-Man) needs his rear-end congratulated...he just gave the Titans much needed leverage in negotiating a contract. !!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muffin is the only one on here whose comments apply in my opinion. Everyone else, bash all you want, if you live in other NFL cities, you'd see that the arrest of NFL players is a common occurance. That being said, he (pac-Man) needs his rear-end congratulated...he just gave the Titans much needed leverage in negotiating a contract. !!!

825701582[/snapback]

The only thing this will do is allow the Titans to put a clause in his contract, it wont make any difference $$$ wise!

Sunday, 07/17/05

Pacman, the choice of a lifetime is yours

THE TENNESSEAN

"It does not matter where we were born, what kind of rearing we had, who our friends were, what kind of trouble we got into, how low we sank or how far behind we fell,'' the late Rev. Samuel DeWitt Proctor, a prolific writer and preacher, once said.

"When we add it all up, we still have some options left, we still have some choices we can make,'' added Proctor, who served as a college president and pastor of the historical Abyssinian Baptist Church in New York City.

It would do well if Tennessee Titans top draft pick Adam "Pacman'' Jones could read or hear Proctor's comments.

Jones, who got himself in trouble with the law here this past week, is at a crucial point in his life where he really needs to make some choices. And, it appears that he only has two options.

He can stay on the path that unfortunately he seems to be on now — a path of destruction where he appears to be running with the wrong crowd, a path that could lead to the quick end of his professional football career, one that could lead to time in jail or prison and one could even lead to an early death.

The other path is one where he would put his leeches aside, listen to and follow good advice, be the best football player he can be and, more importantly, be a productive citizen.

If you don't know much about Jones' background, let me tell you what Jim Wyatt, The Tennessean's Titans beat writer chronicled this past May.

Adam Jones hardly knew his father, a man who was shot to death when the Titans cornerback was 4, Wyatt wrote. Later, one of Jones' uncle was stabbed to death.

Wyatt wrote as Jones made his way through schools in Atlanta and on to West Virginia University, some other boys his age were killed.

His mother, Wyatt said, was incarcerated for three years, and his grandmother who reared him died of cancer shortly after his high school graduation.

Now, this is a young man whom you hope would make it in life. One who beats the odds. One of those rags to riches stories.

Remember what the Rev. Proctor said: "It does not matter where we were born, what kind of rearing we had, who our friends were, what kind of trouble we got into, how low we sank, or how far behind we fell.

"When we add it all up, we still have some options left, we still have some choices we can make.''

Somebody get Adam (Pacman) Jones' attention. Tell him his time to make the right choice is running out.

And if you can get his attention, let him also hear what National Football League Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown had to say on a radio sports talk show about today's pro athletes when he was in Nashville recently to lend support to Backfield in Motion, a nonprofit youth sports organization.

"The athletes of today, when you meet them one on one, they are beautiful people,'' Brown said while appearing on The Sports Zone. "Most of them never get an opportunity to deal with anyone that will truly care for them, listen to them and understand where they are coming from.

"Most of them have no father. Most of them have no family background that they can truly count on.

"A lot of them come out of the inner city. A lot of them have a gang background. They make a lot of money quick, they get an agent who really isn't going to tell them how to deal with the quality of life, but he is going to try to break the bank, sometimes at the expense of their particular career."

Pacman, Jim Brown also noted that all of you athletes had somebody, yes somebody, behind you as you came along. As a result, you have an obligation to give something back to your community as well as your country.

"And we have kids shooting each other every day, we have schools that don't have any money, that don't have books, kids are falling through the cracks, we have athletic programs going on in our high schools that are no longer there for kids," Brown said.

Pacman, what will you give back? What will you do with your choice? Remember, it's not where you come from but where you end up.

Pacman, everybody is watching you, watching to see what choice you make. I hope it's the right one for your sake.

I'm not one to make excuses for anybody with an attitude like Pac's. This guy has had more than his share of grief and no doubt his heart has been hardened. When your family is dead or is in prison, I would suspect he has nobody close that keeps an eye on him and instills the value system that families follow. Fisher or the staff will have to provide some serious hard love to get this kid turned around. It won't be easy. After all, what does this kid have to lose? A contract? Money? Fame? I wouldn't be surprised that respect is what he's searching for. The Titans org will have to show him that respect comes from those whose values are beyond reproach and not those from an entourage of groupies or thugs looking for a quick buck. When a man puts his contract and future on the line by going to bat for a pot smoking thug, he ain't thinking anything but showing he's in control. Control is something he knows all about. He's had to control everything in his life while everyone else around him had died or let him down. This won't change overnight. It's up to the community to keep this kid busy showing him he can have everything he's ever wanted just by being a good neighbor and Nashvillian. I'm curious who will step up to the plate and really try to get Pac to see the light. :lol:

How about they just round up his posse and pay THEM not to involve themselves with Adam (no Pacman name until he earns it with the Big Boys) for the remainder of the season?

All they want is the bling-bling, so I say give it to them, sign them each to 100K personal services contract with Bud Adams, and their personal service is to DISAPPEAR.

You look at scores of the young players picked in the draft and see the all business attitude from the likes of edwards and Rolle. Then look at the Titans pick and it looks like he is in the VIP section of Deja Vu. Sadly, above all else, that thuggish attitude seems to be sweeping acrooss the scope of our young people and our NFL franchise seems to be guiding the ship. The Titans deserve all they have coming to them. IMO.

You look at scores of the young players picked in the draft and see the all business attitude from the likes of edwards and Rolle. Then look at the Titans pick and it looks like he is in the VIP section of Deja Vu. Sadly, above all else, that thuggish attitude seems to be sweeping acrooss the scope of our young people and our NFL franchise seems to be guiding the ship. The Titans deserve all they have coming to them. IMO.

825703816[/snapback]

Well said!

825703816[/snapback]

Amen big man. Give me a good friday night game in the HOLE and I could care less if I ever watched another pro game.

• 2 weeks later...