What's the news with DeKalb? No coach?

JigsawXi

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask around about dead grass and Farley....

825704264[/snapback]

Don't recall dead grass but do know coach. Played for him 72-74 at Livingston. Great man and coach. WE had 30 yr reunion last fall. He hasn't changed much except for the hair. Said he was in Dekalb Co. retired taking er easy. Never know he might help the Tigers out until they can get a coach.

I guess the real shame here is the stick up the rump that the kids are getting....I've changed jobs before, but never without informing my current school before I begin a formal discussion...

And the same at Macon Co....I think back to my 1st year or 2 as a coach out of college, with the benefit of 4 years as a starter, and I know there is now way I was ready to head up a program of any size... too many unknowns...

Now what I wonder about Macon, Dekalb, and other teams that seem to ride a harsh up and down cycle is this: Why is it that those systems have such trouble opening up teaching positions, while schools like Smith Co. have an army of coaches? I dare you to look at the academics and you'll see the Smith Co. and others that collect coaches aren't in any kind of academic trouble...I was at one school system that venerated academics above all else and to the detriment of all else...You can be a great extracurricular school and a great academic school. You have to pay teachers and coaches, you have to hire coaches who are good teachers, and you have to be sold out in your support to your teachers and athletic programs...Is it possible that politics, penny pinching, and a misplaced since of value of the high school experience is guiding these programs down a circular and failing path????

I guess the real shame here is the stick up the rump that the kids are getting....I've changed jobs before, but never without informing my current school before I begin a formal discussion...

And the same at Macon Co....I think back to my 1st year or 2 as a coach out of college, with the benefit of 4 years as a starter, and I know there is now way I was ready to head up a program of any size... too many unknowns...

Now what I wonder about Macon, Dekalb, and other teams that seem to ride a harsh up and down cycle is this: Why is it that those systems have such trouble opening up teaching positions, while schools like Smith Co. have an army of coaches? I dare you to look at the academics and you'll see the Smith Co. and others that collect coaches aren't in any kind of academic trouble...I was at one school system that venerated academics above all else and to the detriment of all else...You can be a great extracurricular school and a great academic school. You have to pay teachers and coaches, you have to hire coaches who are good teachers, and you have to be sold out in your support to your teachers and athletic programs...Is it possible that politics, penny pinching, and a misplaced since of value of the high school experience is guiding these programs down a circular and failing path????

825704268[/snapback]

Well my 2 cents probably don't mean much but here goes. I know a little about Smith Co. in that everybody is on the same page there. Eveyone knows what role they play whether it be a coach or a teacher. Everybody has the same goal. Give the kids the best possible education they can get and try to be successful on the sports field. That runs all the way down to the bottom to the top. You get what you pay for. I think it's a shame about the situations in MC and Dekalb. The kids ought to be the main goal. I'm not blaming the coach that left you out to dry but seems to me it could have been prevented if everybody was on the same page. Somebody in charge is not doing their job. Until you fix that problem it looks as if this problem will always be around.

I've heard stories about Farley. He sounds like a great man. I heard he has a pretty good sense of humor too. I asked them about the dead grass and the story is amusing. And "beethoven", you have a good point. This whole thing is a mess as it seems. Maybe the Senior football players can step it up and form the under classmen. Be the backbone of the team until they find a replacement. Because they are going to be lacking practice.

I could be very wrong about this but I doubt Ken would come to Dekalb simply because they don't pay but a few thousand dollars for the head coaching position. I mean it's less than what they pay assistant coaches in most every other school district around us. I heard Ken was making close to a six digit salary when he was principal and head coach. He'd have to want back into football really bad to come here and get his behind handed to him Friday night. Even with his three state champion rings and years of experience he wouldn't break 50K here.

Edited by caesar