Ooltewah vs. Cookeville

ImaOWL

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who got the start at qb for Cookeville?????

825720549[/snapback]

I apologize for not knowing the players names. But I believe it was #10. I have to say #20 is a hard nosed, gutty football player. I have no idea why they did not put it in his hands during the overtime. They ran it with #3 twice and then threw it twice.

Ooltewah absolutely DOMINATED the first half, but some outstanding adjustments by Cookeville at halftime and MANY MANY cramps on Ooltewah's side made for a much different second half.

These two teams should be proud of their first game despite the normal first game mistakes and look forward to many wins during the 2005 season.

All of you are somewhat correct in my opinion.

It wasn't even the same level of play the first 3 quarters. Ooltewah dominated on the ground and Clark Gaston was absolutely flattening EVERYONE he touched.

Brain Marshall and Caldwell looked very good I thought.

Ooltewah was gassed, but I don't think it was because Cookeville was in better shape...I only say that because they had many guys, not just 1 or 2, playing both ways....I know of 4 or 5 that literally played almost every down of the game...even on special teams.

It surprised me too because they ARE deep...but that's ok, the weather gets better as we go from here, and the players got that first game behind them. I think the Owl faithful trust Chief Monroe to lead this team.

It's very hard in my opinion to judge either of these teams after one game - i want to see one more before I say too much. Especially about Ooltewah with a brand new coach who's been in retirement and is running a new system.

AND I DIDN'T FORGET to give Cookeville the credit they deserve. That game could have gone either way at the end. And those Cavs played tough! Didn't give up at all! I think they'll do very well this year, and maybe we'll see them again in 11 or 12 weeks! Good luck to all! More tomorrow!~

Oh, I said 31-21......so 28-21 isn't too bad!

in my opinion ooltewah played absolutely horrible and still won this game, it should have been 35-7 or so, 2 td's were scored right after horrible calls..that pass interference call on cookeville's last td was one of the worst calls ever, but that wasn't why the game was close, it was b/c ooltewah's secondary didn't come to play, cookeville's qb was just throwing the ball up for grabs and ooltewah players just watched...in my opinion ooltewah was the better team, i'll prolly get ripped for saying all this b/c im not saying it was so evenly matched like everyone claims, but ooltewah played terrible and still came out the victor

in my opinion ooltewah played absolutely horrible and still won this game, it should have been 35-7 or so, 2 td's were scored right after horrible calls..that pass interference call on cookeville's last td was one of the worst calls ever, but that wasn't why the game was close, it was b/c ooltewah's secondary didn't come to play, cookeville's qb was just throwing the ball up for grabs and ooltewah players just watched...in my opinion ooltewah was the better team, i'll prolly get ripped for saying all this b/c im not saying it was so evenly matched like everyone claims, but ooltewah played terrible and still came out the victor

825720583[/snapback]

I agree that Ooltewah looked bad for a good part of this game, especially the second half. But give credit to Cookeville, they held Ooltewah to less than 75 total yards in the second half. They played good defense in the 2nd half and made it a game. No doubt big plays were a major portion of what Cookeville did, but they did what Ooltewah couldn't stop.

This was just a typical first game of the season for both teams, but I thought they both fought very hard.

Caldwell is special but hopefully Coach Monroe realizes he can't run the ball 35 times a game play defense and be around for a 15 game season. It's not like Ooltewah doesn't have any other weapons. Marshall is gonna be special I thought Zach threw the ball very well with a nice tight spiral and lot of power on the pass but no receivers that could get to his passes. Ooltewah is really gonna have to work on letting some more of the 90 players on the sidelines get in some games. Hoping for a great year good job Owls.

I'll have to agree with mnewballer, Ooltewah did seem to be the better team, struggling through two very, very questionable pass intereference calls both on 3rd and long (if I recall correctly) that put Cookeville inside the twenty. That said, Cookeville was able to catch on eventually and stop the run with some success, and they got their running game going towards the end, so maybe they're a little better than they let on as well.

I really hope Monroe spreads out the workload next game. You can't put some of these guys on the field that much and expect them to play up to speed. And I'm sure they're going to focus on the secondary because their performance was definitely not what it should have been. There were several lob passes during which two or three Ooltewah DBs and one Cookeville WR were around the ball and the DBs just didn't seem positioned or fast or tall enough to contend for the ball.

I think Ooltewas passed a total of 7 or 8 times and completed 4 of them. At first it was because Cookeville couldn't stop it, and later it was to run down the clock, but it seems like Monroe could have at least tried a few creative or short passing plays when the run wasn't as effective as it was early on.

All that said, it was a really good game, and both teams seem poised to have great seasons.