Picking the "Big East"

crystal5puppy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm cheering with you Bulldogs fans... but 12-29 over the last 4 seasons... it easy to kinda not thing about Bearden. I hope you win 6 games, that will make you #3 Seed for sure and will help heal alot of pain in recent years.

825709869[/snapback]

Thanks Art. I just think its a little premature to count us out considering that the one thing we have struggled with is offense and we were able to acquire what I believe to be the best OC in East Tennessee and the only one to beat DB twice in the past two years.

Your right Bud... even if Jeff Co is down, their still the Patriots and they have tradition on their side.

What I can't figure out is why Science Hill is getting all of this kind of respect. Do they deserve it? 4-6 last year, lost the last 4 games to miss the playoffs again. Lost the entire O-Line and D-Line to graduation. The one top quality player, Joslin, is back for his Sr year. He can play, but, I don't see the Toppers doing anything better than 4-6...5-5 at the very best.

My guess is that Sevier Co will give DB all they want, and those team will finish 1 & 2. Campbell Co. had a great season last year, and I am going to say that the people in Jacksboro liked that alot. Success breeds success and I expect the Cougars will make the Playoffs again this year. So, Jeff Co. Bearden, Karns and SHHS do battle for the 4th spot.... I take the Patriots in that list any day.

16 days to Kickoff

Roll tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

825709146[/snapback]

I certainly believe that Region 1-5A is down. Way down. This is evidenced by the fact that the 2,3 and 4 seeds all got beat in last years playoffs. Heck, CC took second in the conference last year, and they had never even made the playoffs before. Never ever!

IMO, Region II-4A is quite a bit tougher top to bottom than 1-5A. Powell, Halls and Central would at least play for second in 1-5A. Maryville would at worst win the region ever other year. Ask South Doyle if they would still like to be in 1-5A this year.

No disrespect meant, but this reagion is never going to be a world beater w/ Bearden, Karns and Campbell County. Jeff Co is still down (and has been for a while overall), and Science Hill can't seem to find its way. Same goes for Sevier County right now.

IMO, DB will win the conference fielding one of the weaker teams that we have had in at least five years, maybe longer. Too few proven skill players returning.

Regardless, it will be a fun year.

ROLL TRIBE

Edited by rolltriberoll

rolltribe--I agree with you on your post about the strength of 1-5A. DB has been remarkably good and consistant throughout the years. That is the mark of an outstanding program. Jeff Co also has a good history, but they have been an up and down program the last several years. Sevier Co has a recent gold ball, but when Pigeon Forge opened, it really hurt them.

These things go in cycles. Region 3-4A is outstanding. Have been for several years. This is an exceptionally strong year for them. I think that this year, DB would probably be the only team in your region with a chance for a playoff spot. I would also say that this year, Powell, Maryville and Central are better than anyone in your region. West and Halls will also be good teams. I know that scrimmages don't mean a whole lot, but Halls recently beat DB in a scrimmage and Halls will be fighting for the 4th playoff spot in that region.

Again, this is not meant as a slam. DB is good and always will be. I think Jeff Co and Sevier Co are on the way back up. You all should have a exciting year of football in that region. Good luck to all. thumb

I won't make any major predictions due to a lack of in-depth knowledge on the upper East TN teams, but will take up for the Bulldogs of Bearden in reference to their coaching and work ethic. I had a chance to observe them in camp at TTU this past week and with a new Off. Cord. and a solid week of three-a-days, they look to be a major challenger for a 3 or 4 spot in the Big East this year......... thumb

Yep, the Big East is down, and yet the cost in $$$ put upon each and every team in this Region continues to go UP UP UP. Rediculous travel expenses are placed on these teams, bands, fans, for what... nothing more than they could have, only better, if the TSSAA would go back to pre 5A and let each school have it's natural rivals and annual "LOCAL GAMES".

I will never get off this bandwagon, 5A Classification in Tennessee is idiotic and not realistic. 4A is max for this state, do that and Kingsport Dobyns Bennett would Annually play our top 3 Rivals (in number of games played) in Conference or Region Games, in order, Johnson City Science Hill, Tennessee High and Elizabethton... By the grace of the Football Gods, DB does play those team this season, but only Science Hill is a Conference Game, and after a home and away series, TN High and Betsy will not be played again for what 5 or 6 years. We could still play our #1 MODERN DAY RIVAL = Oak Ridge every year (it's none Region anyway). Heck, I bet Karns and Bearden and Campbell Co all have Rivals that they don't play anymore because of some stupid re-classification.

The Northeast Tn Schools could send their Bands to every game, the Knox County Schools could do the same, the TSSAA would take in more $$ on Ticket Sales and everyone would save $$$ on Gas, meals and be home before 1:00AM.

** Skunk, I would like to hear your take on this.. sound in, and please anyone who is tired of midnight driving to get home from a HS Game, let's hear your views. Although, there may not be many by the looks of the VISITOR STANDS at a Region 1 5A Game.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Edited by ArtVandalay

rolltribe--I agree with you on your post about the strength of 1-5A.  DB has been remarkably good and consistant throughout the years.  That is the mark of an outstanding program.  Jeff Co also has a good history, but they have been an up and down program the last several years.  Sevier Co has a recent gold ball, but when Pigeon Forge opened, it really hurt them.

These things go in cycles.  Region 3-4A is outstanding.  Have been for several years.  This is an exceptionally strong year for them.  I think that this year, DB would probably be the only team in your region with a chance for a playoff spot.  I would also say that this year, Powell, Maryville and Central are better than anyone in your region.  West and Halls will also be good teams.  I know that scrimmages don't mean a whole lot, but Halls recently beat DB in a scrimmage and Halls will be fighting for the 4th playoff spot in that region. 

Again, this is not meant as a slam.  DB is good and always will be.  I think Jeff Co and Sevier Co are on the way back up.  You all should have a exciting year of football in that region.  Good luck to all. thumb

825710920[/snapback]

True scrimmages don't mean much. But in an earlier spring scrimmage DB beat Halls with a frehman QB that would play behind the two QB's used in the most recent scrimmage against Halls.

Here is an earlier post! Remeber DB and Halls both had baseball players out in the first scrimmage.

"D-B scrimmaged Knox Halls last Friday-May 13. D-B first team did dominate but not overly so. The quarterback was Freshman Bart Ring and he did well considering he was running the offense as a freshman. Some of the more experienced players looked a little rusty. Halls' Wing-T offense was hard for the defense to read and Halls had a big, strong running back. It seems Halls' new football coach is doing well with his team since D-B dominated the line of scrimmage last year.

Coty Sensabaugh scored on an interception and another score was made on an inside pitch."

It seems DB had an off day and Graham Clark never shows out in scrimmages, while many teams gun for DB full throttle during a scrimmage. No need for DB fans to worry right now. Everything will come together