Picking the "Big East"

crystal5puppy

All right, all right... you want to know why S. Hill went 4-6 last year? I believe we were predicted to go about 7-3 at the beginning of the season and I 100% agreed with that. Pre-season, we had a 3-year starting FB go down, the strongest guy on the team because he was playing Nose guard. Also, Drew Turner a 3-year starting FS, could run a 4.4, only played about 3 games with a bum knee. He went down with an MCL tear or ACL, can't remember the Elizabethton game. He was D-1 potential and is trying to walk on to UT this year. Let's see who else, Brandon Shoun our QB who threw for 5 TD's and over 300 yards in his last game he played went down with a broken hand that game. HENCE Justice Joslin going to play QB, this kid is an athlete. Look out for him Big East, he's back at WR and Shoun back at the helm for their senior years. I played O-Line last year and you know why I didn't get any of those all-conferences because I'm 5'9", but I don't even care about that. Me (ex-Right Guard), the Left guard (went to play at UVA-Wise), and Center have left. the two tackles are still there which were the biggest guys on the line but now play center and guard. One of which is Ben Murray only a junior and is a monster getting looked at by D-1 schools. Hunter Thomas, we lost him to graduation and also went to UVA-Wise, the noseguard, as well as two OLB's and a running back. I watched their scrimmages and the offense is loaded, O-Line is huge and watch out for the Shoun/Joslin attack because it's back. The defense is going to be iffy again with many people changing around in the front seven, swapping positions. But do not bash this "4-6" team from a year ago because two years ago a "5-5" team went "8-2" the next season. the 5-5 year had close games, much like we did last year. the reason jeff co. killed us is due to the great ability of that shiverdecker guy. and why did TN High destroy us? oh yea, didn't they go to the state championship game? yeah, i believe they did, it was a loaded senior team. we shut them out in '03 when we had a loaded senior team.

That was my input, take it or leave it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, all right... you want to know why S. Hill went 4-6 last year? I believe we were predicted to go about 7-3 at the beginning of the season and I 100% agreed with that. Pre-season, we had a 3-year starting FB go down, the strongest guy on the team because he was playing Nose guard. Also, Drew Turner a 3-year starting FS, could run a 4.4, only played about 3 games with a bum knee. He went down with an MCL tear or ACL, can't remember the Elizabethton game. He was D-1 potential and is trying to walk on to UT this year. Let's see who else, Brandon Shoun our QB who threw for 5 TD's and over 300 yards in his last game he played went down with a broken hand that game. HENCE Justice Joslin going to play QB, this kid is an athlete. Look out for him Big East, he's back at WR and Shoun back at the helm for their senior years. I played O-Line last year and you know why I didn't get any of those all-conferences because I'm 5'9", but I don't even care about that. Me (ex-Right Guard), the Left guard (went to play at UVA-Wise), and Center have left. the two tackles are still there which were the biggest guys on the line but now play center and guard. One of which is Ben Murray only a junior and is a monster getting looked at by D-1 schools. Hunter Thomas, we lost him to graduation and also went to UVA-Wise, the noseguard, as well as two OLB's and a running back. I watched their scrimmages and the offense is loaded, O-Line is huge and watch out for the Shoun/Joslin attack because it's back. The defense is going to be iffy again with many people changing around in the front seven, swapping positions. But do not bash this "4-6" team from a year ago because two years ago a "5-5" team went "8-2" the next season. the 5-5 year had close games, much like we did last year. the reason jeff co. killed us is due to the great ability of that shiverdecker guy. and why did TN High destroy us? oh yea, didn't they go to the state championship game? yeah, i believe they did, it was a loaded senior team. we shut them out in '03 when we had a loaded senior team.

That was my input, take it or leave it.

825715082[/snapback]

No, we didn't make it to state. We had a good showing against Science Hill in '04 because that was possibly the greatest game Tennessee High played that year. Almost perfect on everything with the exception of a few penalites.

I am amazed at at how so-called fans of JCHS athletics support their teams and coaches! Perhaps some people need to be involved or around the current players and coaches before they start "selling-out" on this gruop of KIDS! These boys do not need the negativity that is being brought to their program from the outside!

I for one will support the JCHS Patriot football program even if they finish last. Yeah, everyone likes to win! But no one likes constant negativity! Get behind these guys and SUPPORT them! They just might suprise you! Either way I SUPPORT them!

825715026[/snapback]

When there is a problem it needs to be addressed, you don’t sit on your hands and hope for the best while the problem continues to fester and get worse. Now whether you want to admit it or not, only having 33 varsity players is a problem for a 5A school like Jeff County. Going from 78 players to 33 players in less than two years is a problem. When a player would rather go be 2nd string at another school rather than start and star at Jeff County, there is a problem. When a starting player has gotten to the point where he is happy Jeff County didn’t make the playoffs last year just so he wouldn’t have to go another week, there is a problem. When the ENTIRE 05 senior class feels the same way toward their coach, there is a problem. Now you may choose to ignore all this, but I among many others won’t. Maybe when there are 12 players on the team you will finally admit that there is a problem.

Where on earth are you getting the idea that Patriot fans are going to stop supporting the team? I may not like the current condition the program is in, but I will still be going to scrimmages and as many games as I can, as always. I will still cheer when the players do well, those are things that that will never change no matter who is walking the sidelines.

Sounds good in theory, but it'll never work...it's fair to say that a majority of the fans want their teams to win as many games as possible...nowadays, kids aren't motivated to do what it takes to improve in the off-season to reach that goal (that's why "voluntary" off-season workouts exists)...without making the kids work, then they sacrifice the ability to compete with other programs who demand their athletes improvements (hence, off-season workouts)...a player's development is in the off-season...that's what the coaches have to work with when the athletes report to their teams to begin the official season...their are two options, which usually have two consequences: off-season workouts (=better record) or no off-season workout (=worse record)...this is a problem that plagues every program, so putting the spotlight on one program (which lately has been JC) is unfair...also, wouldn't you rather have a coach who pushes the athletes to make themselves and the team better? Isn't that why we play, "for the love of the game?"...then "the love of the game" constitutes giving your all for yourself and your team...if a select few decide they can't handle those responsibilities and choose to quit, then tough for them...those who "truly love the game" are the kids we'll be cheering for on friday nights

825714855[/snapback]

I am not opposed to voluntery off-season workouts. I also understand that there are demands made upon coaches as far as won/loss tallies are concerned. What I was trying to say was that these kids are just that - kids. They can have a love of the game and a drive to play and still have other important things in their lives.

As for a coach who pushes athletes - it all depends on where he's pushing to. If a coach is pushing kids over the edge, then he's gone too far. I'm not speaking here of kids who haven't the character or the desire to work - I'm speaking of student athletes who have, in the past, shown a good work ethic and a desire to play.

There are rules and regulations governing practices and workouts. We all know that in many or most instances these rules are ignored. I don't believe that they should be - by anyone. There is a governing body responsible for overseeing such things and they should do their jobs.

Student athletes are just that - students first and then athletes. The athletic programs should be there to draw kids to the school and provide them a reason to feel a part of the educational system. Anything more is selfish and unprofessional.

OK, maybe I'm being unrealistic. Maybe we say that the things I'm proposing are unreasonable in the real world. Do we just accept that they are right, but allow the unjust practices simply because it is not easy to have things done in the right way? I just wasn't brought up that way.

When there is a problem it needs to be addressed, you don’t sit on your hands and hope for the best while the problem continues to fester and get worse. Now whether you want to admit it or not, only having 33 varsity players is a problem for a 5A school like Jeff County. Going from 78 players to 33 players in less than two years is a problem. When a player would rather go be 2nd string at another school rather than start and star at Jeff County, there is a problem. When a starting player has gotten to the point where he is happy Jeff County didn’t make the playoffs last year just so he wouldn’t have to go another week, there is a problem. When the ENTIRE 05 senior class feels the same way toward their coach, there is a problem. Now you may choose to ignore all this, but I among many others won’t. Maybe when there are 12 players on the team you will finally admit that there is a problem.

While I agree that a school the size of JC should have more than 37 (not 33)players on the field I disagree that it's all on the coach. I know most of the Class of 05 and coached many of them so I dare say I know them pretty well and the ENITRE class does not reflect your feelings. I don't know of a single player that didn't want to continue another week last year after the Bearden game unless they were not a starter. I was on the field adn saw the dissappointed in their eyes and face after learning they didn't qualify. I spoke with many of them weeks later and could still see the dissappointment in their voice. Not all players quit because of the coach, yes some did, but not everyone so don't push off the field problems on the coach.

The kids that are still sticking it out will be fine and if you have spent any time around these kids other around the field would know how close they are and how positive the are about the season.

Sandman,

Everyone wanted the season to go on after the Bearden game last year--even some players who may have said that they were glad that it was over with. Everyone wants to win and keep playing--that doesn't mean that everything is okay with the program. I know that there are great athletes not playing football because of being forced to put up with personal humiliation and ridicule, made to adhere to unreasonable demands, and forced to pick between football and other great loves (other sports, family, other co-curricular activities) and have had to give up football though they'd rather still be playing. Don't come down on these kids. I've seen some of them cry because they're not playing anymore. These same players worked hard and for long hours for other coaches. It's not the workload--it's the value system and the boot camp mentality where players are demeaned rather than built up and encouraged. "I love you" is too easy to say after a game and rings hollow when a coach doesn't even try to find out what has happened and why a player has chosen to quit. It simply means "I love you if you walk lock-step with me and don't question anything." Young people today can see right through that kind of smokescreen. They want a coach who cares for them individually and not just HIS program.

Of the 33 (37), how many are freshmen dressing out with the varsity?

Sandman,

Everyone wanted the season to go on after the Bearden game last year--even some players who may have said that they were glad that it was over with.  Everyone wants to win and keep playing--that doesn't mean that everything is okay with the program.  I know that there are great athletes not playing football because of being forced to put up with personal humiliation and ridicule, made to adhere to unreasonable demands, and forced to pick between football and other great loves (other sports, family, other co-curricular activities) and have had to give up football though they'd rather still be playing.  Don't come down on these kids.  I've seen some of them cry because they're not playing anymore.  These same players worked hard and for long hours for other coaches.  It's not the workload--it's the value system and the boot camp mentality where players are demeaned rather than built up and encouraged.  "I love you" is too easy to say after a game and rings hollow when a coach doesn't even try to find out what has happened and why a player has chosen to quit.  It simply means "I love you if you walk lock-step with me and don't question anything."  Young people today can see right through that kind of smokescreen.  They want a coach who cares for them individually and not just HIS program.

Of the 33 (37), how many are freshmen dressing out with the varsity?

825716626[/snapback]

Only 1 Freshman, McFall, is dressing out with the 37 players I mentioned. I didn't say everything was alright with the program but I did say is that every kid that has quit is being blamed on the coach. True some have quit for that reason but not all have, but they are all getting lumped together to make it sound to be a larger problem than it is. These kids played for Meadows 1 as a Sophmore year so don't say they were treated better by him as Sophmores because he didn't participate in a single JV game to see how they played.

Only 1 Freshman, McFall, is dressing out with the 37 players I mentioned. I didn't say everything was alright with the program but I did say is that every kid that has quit is being blamed on the coach. True some have quit for that reason but not all have, but they are all getting lumped together to make it sound to be a larger problem than it is. These kids played for Meadows 1 as a Sophmore year so don't say they were treated better by him as Sophmores because he didn't participate in a single JV game to see how they played.

825716683[/snapback]

We have all heard many reasons why the kids have quit. As is the case with most rumors, only the ones involved know for sure.

I have heard of 5 reasons Shivy left.

1. his mom's back....Bull ____

2. a bad grade on one class last year that Chris completed but didn't turn in

3. didn't like the fact that he and others couldn't listern to rap while working out

4. couldn't use the "N" word with some fellow black players.

5. wants to win a state championship

Basically he sold his team out for nothing but selfish reasons. One or both of his parents probably had too much influence in this situation.

I don't agree with everything Coach U does but I'm glad he stands up and doesn't let the kids listen to rap songs with ugly lyrics and doesn't let ANYBODY use the "N" word. When you profess to be a christian, that doesn't mean your perfect, but that you stand for something good and strive to be better. These boys have a lot of their life to look forward to and if they lose more games and don't win championships because of this, then I'm for it. The thing is, you can run a program with this type of discipline and win...win big....you just need people to buy in. This team might not win the championship this year but if your involved with them, they are close and working hard together.

Initially I thought JC4Life was clued into the program, but he doesn't appear to know as much as he thinks.

Edited by patriot pride

We have all heard many reasons why the kids have quit.  As is the case with most rumors, only the ones involved know for sure.

1.  his mom's back....Bull ____

2.  a bad grade on one class last year that Chris completed but didn't turn in

3.  didn't like the fact that he and others couldn't listern to rap while working out

4.  couldn't use the "N" word with some fellow black players.

5.  wants to win a state championship

Basically he sold his team out for nothing but selfish reasons.  One or both of his parents probably had too much influence in this situation.

I don't agree with everything Coach U does but I'm glad he stands up and doesn't let the kids listen to rap songs with ugly lyrics and doesn't let ANYBODY use the "N" word.  When you profess to be a christian, that doesn't mean your perfect, but that you stand for something good and strive to be better.  These boys have a lot of their life to look forward to  and if  they lose more games and don't win championships because of this, then I'm for it.  The thing is, you can run a program with this type of discipline and win...win big....you just need people to buy in.  This team might not win the championship this year but if your involved with them, they are close and working hard together. 

Initially I thought JC4Life was clued into the program, but he doesn't appear to know as much as he thinks.

825716712[/snapback]

What a great post!! You nailed it and pick from any of the reasons you have listen and they pertain to Chris as bad as I hate to say it. True the bouys might not win the big or make it to the playoffs but it won't be from a lack of trying.

As far as JC4Life goes, your preaching to the chior Brother AMEN!!!

We have all heard many reasons why the kids have quit.  As is the case with most rumors, only the ones involved know for sure.

1.  his mom's back....Bull ____

2.  a bad grade on one class last year that Chris completed but didn't turn in

3.  didn't like the fact that he and others couldn't listern to rap while working out

4.  couldn't use the "N" word with some fellow black players.

5.  wants to win a state championship

Basically he sold his team out for nothing but selfish reasons.  One or both of his parents probably had too much influence in this situation.

I don't agree with everything Coach U does but I'm glad he stands up and doesn't let the kids listen to rap songs with ugly lyrics and doesn't let ANYBODY use the "N" word.  When you profess to be a christian, that doesn't mean your perfect, but that you stand for something good and strive to be better.  These boys have a lot of their life to look forward to  and if  they lose more games and don't win championships because of this, then I'm for it.  The thing is, you can run a program with this type of discipline and win...win big....you just need people to buy in.  This team might not win the championship this year but if your involved with them, they are close and working hard together. 

825716712[/snapback]

What about the 40 other kids who are not playing football but should be at a school our size? I agree that the lessons football teaches (hard work, discipline, team play, etc.) are vastly important--that is why I'm upset--more kids should be on the field learning these lessons. Instead they have been discouraged rather than encouraged to play. Standing "for" something means standing for all--not just the few who survive or don't have other pressures on them. If this keeps going on, the coaching staff maybe "standing" alone--then what have they accomplished? I know that some kids have quit for other reasons than the coach, but the coach did not encourage them to keep playing or try to work with them to work out their problems. In a few cases, one simple phone call may have kept a kid out on the field. Just letting a kid know that "we need you" is vastly important. Instead the message is "we don't need you if you have any baggage at all." Is that Christian?