Bridges Kickoff Classic

kwc

I thought this deal was about black school vs white schools, theres only one black school out of six?

825713472[/snapback]

The Bridges Classic is not about black and white schools, its about public vs. private. Besides Bolton and Whitestation can hardly be categorized as "white" schools. It is also goes beyon just the game. The kids from both teams spend time together for a breakfast, speeches and discussions.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about some predictions for this game?

I see CBHS taking down WSHS, CBHS returns alot last year from a team with no chemistry- could turn some heads this year..

Melrose over Briarcrest, saw melrose play the other day and all i can say about the d is wow- not to mention cooper

MUS over Bolton, mus virtually shut down cooper except for two big plays, and i see no reason why they cant shut down any other backs..

I am not thrilled with the lineup this year. Only one game on paper looks close and that is MUS BOLTON.

CBHS wins big

Melrose wins big in a shut out though I will be cheering for Briarcrest

MUS takes Bolton in a close one.

825717095[/snapback]

MUS is the real deal- i had a few questions, and though they played a weaker team, they still looked incredible on D- a few things to fix on offense this year and they are rollin..

CBHS did not impress me at all- offense was out of tune and the d shut down a very poor offense in WSHS- i wonder how theyd do against a high power offense, like melrose

Melrose in reality dominated Briarcrest- 7 turnovers will catch up with them against a higher quality opponent

Overall, the match-ups in this years Bridges were sub-par

MUS is the real deal- i had a few questions, and though they played a weaker team, they still looked incredible on D- a few things to fix on offense this year and they are rollin..

CBHS did not impress me at all- offense was out of tune and the d shut down a very poor offense in WSHS- i wonder how theyd do against a high power offense, like melrose

Melrose in reality dominated Briarcrest- 7 turnovers will catch up with them against a higher quality opponent

Overall, the match-ups in this years Bridges were sub-par

825722907[/snapback]

I agree that the turnover situation has to te put to bed. Seven turnovers usually gets you beat Fortunately most were the result bad decisions that can be addressed. Graig Cooper made some of the most amazing runs I have ever seen.....And that covers a long time. The defense picked up where they left off last year.

I agree that the turnover situation has to te put to bed.  Seven turnovers usually gets you beat  Fortunately most were the result bad decisions that can be addressed.  Graig Cooper made some of the most amazing runs I have ever seen.....And that covers a long time.  The defense picked up where they left off last year.

825722954[/snapback]

I did not attend the Whitehaven/Fairley game like I had hoped ... so I was resigned to watch what portion of the Bridges game that I could on TV. I did not see the Bolton/MUS game ... and from the score ... I didn't miss much. Seems to me that Bolton is returning to it's losing ways of the past. It's a shame really, Thier coach from last year turned the program around, then left for Central ... Oh well.

I didn't get to see Charlie Jordan play for WSHS either, but from the report, he went into the game injured and aggravated it while playing and did not return for the 2nd half, which I got a chance to watch. I'm absolutely positive that a healthy C.J. would have been the difference in the game. WSHS played pretty good without their star RB, just couldn't muster much with him being injured or incapacitated. He's deffinately a difference maker.

Melrose 'D' looked absolutely spectacular. LOL ... Those Briarcrest players must have thought they were seeing nothing but blurs out on the field. Briarcrest is no pushover, they won the state championship last year in DII-2A. It's a testement to the Melrose 'D' that their offense turned the ball over 7 times and they still garnered a shut-out. Man ... If you play for Briarcrest ... that's gotta sting!

OMW ... did you see Javon McKinnon's play @ MLB? Out steps Greg Hardy (last years 4A Mr. Football @ LB) in steps Javon McKinnon ... and the defense doesn't miss a beat! He was filling holes, making plays, even on special teams ... he almost decapitated som poor Briarcrest player on a special teams play! What can you say about Micheal Carter! Dominating at the DT posotion! Pure domination! Did I see a thicker, stronger, Kenyatta 'The Hitman' Fullilove? It's almost frightening how dog gone fast that defense is! Not to mention your kick returner, Washington ... alomost break open 2 or 3 returns.

What's this I heard about this transfer RB from Philidelphia, PA is it? The commentators would have you believe, that if Cooper wasn't there ... he'd be the starter. He looked good ... nice size ... speed. What do you know about him?

Also ... I saw Maddison start at the QB position ... But I also saw where they put in another QB ... a taller, thicker guy with a really really strong arm. He looked to me to be about 6-3 or 6-4ish. I take it that's the QB that was mentioned in all of the pre-season QB talk. I didn't see enough of him to get a read on him ... but for him to get in the game and have some snaps was good to see. I'm of the mindset that coach Flowers is going to allow him to grow and mature before throwing him in to the wolves. Smart move. Maddison can't stretch the field vertically ... his arm just isn't strong enough, nor can he see over his OL ... but this other guy can. I have a feeling that he is going to progressively get more and more playing time, especially against weaker opponents. If that's the case, then I like how coach Flowers is handeling the maturation process of what is to be a possible big time QB. This isn't middle school football and the speed is a whole lot FASTER. Just like how the Tennessee Titans handled Steve McNair, and how the Philidephia Eagles handled Donavon McNabb. Allow him to stand on the sidelines and see the game progress, then put him in sparingly at first ... and give him more and more playing time as the season progresses. When the post season begins ... he's no longer inexperinced.

kwc

I did not attend the Whitehaven/Fairley game like I had hoped ... so I was resigned to watch what portion of the Bridges game that I could on TV. I did not see the Bolton/MUS game ... and from the score ... I didn't miss much. Seems to me that Bolton is returning to it's losing ways of the past. It's a shame really, Thier coach from last year turned the program around, then left for Central ... Oh well.

I didn't get to see Charlie Jordan play for WSHS either, but from the report, he went into the game injured and aggravated it while playing and did not return for the 2nd half, which I got a chance to watch. I'm absolutely positive that a healthy C.J. would have been the difference in the game. WSHS played pretty good without their star RB, just couldn't muster much with him being injured or incapacitated. He's deffinately a difference maker.

Melrose 'D' looked absolutely spectacular. LOL ... Those Briarcrest players must have thought they were seeing nothing but blurs out on the field. Briarcrest is no pushover, they won the state championship last year in DII-2A. It's a testement to the Melrose 'D' that their offense turned the ball over 7 times and they still garnered a shut-out. Man ... If you play for Briarcrest ... that's gotta sting!

OMW ... did you see Javon McKinnon's play @ MLB? Out steps Greg Hardy (last years 4A Mr. Football @ LB) in steps Javon McKinnon ... and the defense doesn't miss a beat! He was filling holes, making plays, even on special teams ... he almost decapitated som poor Briarcrest player on a special teams play! What can you say about Micheal Carter! Dominating at the DT posotion! Pure domination! Did I see a thicker, stronger, Kenyatta 'The Hitman' Fullilove? It's almost frightening how dog gone fast that defense is! Not to mention your kick returner, Washington ... alomost break open 2 or 3 returns.

What's this I heard about this transfer RB from Philidelphia, PA is it? The commentators would have you believe, that if Cooper wasn't there ... he'd be the starter. He looked good ... nice size ... speed. What do you know about him?

Also ... I saw Maddison start at the QB position ... But I also saw where they put in another QB ... a taller, thicker guy with a really really strong arm. He looked to me to be about 6-3 or 6-4ish. I take it that's the QB that was mentioned in all of the pre-season QB talk. I didn't see enough of him to get a read on him ... but for him to get in the game and have some snaps was good to see. I'm of the mindset that coach Flowers is going to allow him to grow and mature before throwing him in to the wolves. Smart move. Maddison can't stretch the field vertically ... his arm just isn't strong enough, nor can he see over his OL ... but this other guy can. I have a feeling that he is going to progressively get more and more playing time, especially against weaker opponents. If that's the case, then I like how coach Flowers is handeling the maturation process of what is to be a possible big time QB. This isn't middle school football and the speed is a whole lot FASTER. Just like how the Tennessee Titans handled Steve McNair, and how the Philidephia Eagles handled Donavon McNabb. Allow him to stand on the sidelines and see the game progress, then put him in sparingly at first ... and give him more and more playing time as the season progresses. When the post season begins ... he's no longer inexperinced.

kwc

825723090[/snapback]

I could not agree more with what you said.. the only thing i think melrose lacks is a qb that can pass-- madison made some of the same mistakes in a scrimmage against MUS, which was not a good sign. If Melrose can find a qb that can make smart decissions and get the ball to the stock of talent that they have at receiver, all i could say is look out 4a- plus it would make cooper that much better

I could not agree more with what you said.. the only thing i think melrose lacks is a qb that can pass-- madison made some of the same mistakes in a scrimmage against MUS, which was not a good sign. If Melrose can find a qb that can make smart decissions and get the ball to the stock of talent that they have at receiver, all i could say is look out 4a- plus it would make cooper that much better

825723531[/snapback]

Madison was kind of thrust into the QB spot when Monte moved to WR last year. Both QB backups have live arms and one will probably make the transition as time progresses. Madison will play some flanker when not at QB.

Madison made better decisions with the ball last year and will surely improve in that area. It looked like he was trying to force plays.

You are right, better decision making and the ability to stretch the field will make this team very difficult to beat.

KDub, as for the backup running back, I don't know who he is. He ran the ball well but did lay it on the carpet a couple of times if my memory serves me right. He is more of a vertical runner than Cooper.

Javon McKinnon really played well. The whole defense got to the ball fast & with bad intentions. A real physical group at every position