can reid keep alcoa focused

al1558

I agree an Autograph session in High School is a bit silly but, nothing wrong with the boosters, parents, students and elementary kids getting around the team before the season opens.  After a season get's rolling there will be little time for community interaction and a community should always come out and show support for "Their team" and be proud of them for the work they put in. 

I also think it is a bit forward to try to place this Alcoa team into the history books as the best in state, of the school ever or any other lofty perch.  This present group has recently won a Tennessee 2A State Championship, a great feat in my view.  They beat Huntington 52-41!  Not a great showing of defense.  If you want to say this is a great group for being 14-1 last year and having some D1 interest then what is 41 points in a state game about?  Sure they are older, wiser, faster ect, ect, ect,...  So is everyone else.  Being a team of D1 “Prospects” means little if you’re not a team.  Personally I don’t think Alcoa has a kid who will ever take a snap as a starter at any D1 School.  Some of them have the body and speed that is the big draw by the D1 teams, nothing more.  Most D1 assignees fail in their quest to contribute to a program like UT’s, FSU’s, UofM and other big time football schools.  I wish the Alcoa prospects the best but the chances are this year will be their last year to play organized football just like many of those who never get the press. 

Getting back to the point of the thread, Can the Alcoa Coaching staff keep these kids focused?  I don't know, keeping teenagers focused on anything these days is hard.  Reid couldn’t do it at W. Blount and he is a good man. 

My opinion is if this Alcoa team gets into a tough game I don't know how they will react, my gut feeling is they'll fall apart.  After all that is what has happened in the past vs. Maryville and I am not sure what has changed.  Good luck to Alcoa vs. Hop town.

825719594[/snapback]

thanks for helping me put things into perspective

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree an Autograph session in High School is a bit silly but, nothing wrong with the boosters, parents, students and elementary kids getting around the team before the season opens.  After a season get's rolling there will be little time for community interaction and a community should always come out and show support for "Their team" and be proud of them for the work they put in. 

I also think it is a bit forward to try to place this Alcoa team into the history books as the best in state, of the school ever or any other lofty perch.  This present group has recently won a Tennessee 2A State Championship, a great feat in my view.  They beat Huntington 52-41!  Not a great showing of defense.  If you want to say this is a great group for being 14-1 last year and having some D1 interest then what is 41 points in a state game about?  Sure they are older, wiser, faster ect, ect, ect,...  So is everyone else.  Being a team of D1 “Prospects” means little if you’re not a team.  Personally I don’t think Alcoa has a kid who will ever take a snap as a starter at any D1 School.  Some of them have the body and speed that is the big draw by the D1 teams, nothing more.  Most D1 assignees fail in their quest to contribute to a program like UT’s, FSU’s, UofM and other big time football schools.  I wish the Alcoa prospects the best but the chances are this year will be their last year to play organized football just like many of those who never get the press. 

Getting back to the point of the thread, Can the Alcoa Coaching staff keep these kids focused?  I don't know, keeping teenagers focused on anything these days is hard.  Reid couldn’t do it at W. Blount and he is a good man. 

My opinion is if this Alcoa team gets into a tough game I don't know how they will react, my gut feeling is they'll fall apart.  After all that is what has happened in the past vs. Maryville and I am not sure what has changed.  Good luck to Alcoa vs. Hop town.

825719594[/snapback]

I think you are right. Fiegler, Warren and Lindsey probably won't ever play organized football after this year. It's well known that schools like UT and FSU are willing to waste scholarships on Alcoa players just to irritate certain Maryville fans.

I hope that this is'nt one of the bledsoe's that played football or coached me at

ALCOA, cause if it is you guys are still MORONS!!! thumb

825719655[/snapback]

[/quot

What are you talking about.....Nope never coached or played football for Alcoa.....Just graduated high school 2 years ago.......You need make sure you know who your talking to before call them MORONS......... thumb

It is a fact that schools like UT and FSU and others waste scholarships on players who don't pan out! Ut has like 90 kids on scholarship every year and how many of them take a snap. Just ask Jim Bob Cooter at UT!

And by the way a verbal commit is not a scholarship and being a prospect does not make you a D1 Starter. Good for the kids if they can get their education paid for and congratz to the parents who won't have to pay for it!

back to what thread is about.  i do know all players (starters that is), yes have been to some practices.  let me give you example about what i'm trying to say. i hope alcoa goes 15-0. last night they had meet the player night.  it was an autographing session. how rediculous.  you would think that we had come to pay homage to our football God's. i only went because i wanted to see for myself. this is the kind of thing that gives these boys the idea that all they have to do is show up and they will win.  as for the people that say alcoa takes it one game at a time, last night i ran my own little poll. polled 12 starters (2 of which are part of the super 3) :::results- 9 of the 12 said hopkinsville was going to be nothing. those same nine explained to me that it would be like a scrimmage.  they wanted to get to what they say "is their first real game...MARYVILLE. please tell me how that is taking one game at a time.  this kind of ###### of the walk stuff will only hurt them in the long run.

825718961[/snapback]

If that's true, I'd have to agree. I have seen more focus out of the Alcoa team than any other in the last 20 years though...

Man! I like the spit and fire I'm seeing here. Good to see everyone is pumped up.

FBE, I believe Rae Sykes will play D1 ball and be a force in D1 ball...if he can stay healthy and keep his nose clean for two more seasons. I think Duck will be a great linebacker one day at UT. I think Brandon Warren coulda picked better fits, given that FSU rarely throws to the TE, which means he'll play DE. He coulda went to a pass happy school that spreads the field and ulitizes the TE, but it was his dream and I applaud him for realizing his dream...like you did in your prime thumb

Edited by Rebel Nation

It is a fact that schools like UT and FSU and others waste scholarships on players who don't pan out!  Ut has like 90 kids on scholarship every year and how many of them take a snap.  Just ask Jim Bob Cooter at UT!

And by the way a verbal commit is not a scholarship and being a prospect does not make you a D1 Starter.  Good for the kids if they can get their education paid for and congratz to the parents who won't have to pay for it!

825719853[/snapback]

I still say it's a plan hatched among D-1 schools, the media and national recruiting services for the sole purpose of irritating certain Maryville fans.

I think you are right.  Fiegler, Warren and Lindsey probably won't ever play organized football after this year.  It's well known that schools like UT and FSU are willing to waste scholarships on Alcoa players just to irritate certain Maryville fans.

825719839[/snapback]

thumb LOL that is rich ha ha ha way to go VA Tornadoe...I'm a D.C. Tornadoe I think I've heard of that - It's called "Irritateamurvulfanalitis"

I hope that this is'nt one of the bledsoe's that played football or coached me at

ALCOA, cause if it is you guys are still MORONS!!! thumb

825719655[/snapback]

[/quot

What are you talking about.....Nope never coached or played football for Alcoa.....Just graduated high school 2 years ago.......You need make sure you know who your talking to before call them MORONS......... thumb

825719851[/snapback]

I don't think he was calling you a moron. The quote was "I hope this Isn't..."

guys there's no use arguing with non-believers. It's honestly like trying to argue with somebody about the existance of God, if they don't believe you're not going to change their minds. In this case, some people are always going to be negative and no matter how badly YOU want the kids to do well, they will be there to rub it in your face if a kid gets hurt or doesn't make first team all-american in college. Maryville has enjoyed a LOT of success in the past 10 years and this year's Alcoa team is stealing a little bit of their media thunder. Jealousy is one of those emotions that you cannot help sometimes. Most of the Maryville fans are very polite people from what i've gathered, but bad apples exist among Alcoa fans as well. If you take that under advisement your day is going to be a lot less stressful.

Edited by UncleTed

guys there's no use arguing with non-believers.  It's honestly like trying to argue with somebody about the existance of God, if they don't believe you're not going to change their minds.  In this case, some people are always going to be negative and no matter how badly YOU want the kids to do well, they will be there to rub it in your face if a kid gets hurt or doesn't make first team all-american in college.  Maryville has enjoyed a LOT of success in the past 10 years and this year's Alcoa team is stealing a little bit of their media thunder.  Jealousy is one of those emotions that you cannot help sometimes.  Most of the Maryville fans are very polite people from what i've gathered, but bad apples exist among Alcoa fans as well.  If you take that under advisement your day is going to be a lot less stressful.

825720103[/snapback]

I think that 99% of the Maryville fans will pull for Alcoa every game they play this season...except for one. Failure by other teams fans to recognize the greatness you see in your own team is by no means a slight with negative intentions. It's either an ignorant statement based on incomplete data or else it's an educated guess based on generalizations. So maybe the rest of us have not been around to see what's going on inside the Alcoa team huddle, or maybe we just think it's unlikely that they are as "great" as some people are already calling them. Either way I believe that I'm speaking for most of the MHS faithful when I say that we hope you are every bit as good as you think that you are, and we hope that you win tonight and lose next Friday night and then win out and get another state title.

Can Reid keep them focused? I hope so. There's a lot of talent there that could make for some great Friday Night Hits highlights if he does.

And I do think that an organized autographing session probably does work in an 18 year old's mind against the goal of the coaching staff to keep them grounded and focused. That's just my opinion. Maybe they are so good that they don't need to be focused and maybe none of the role players who didn't get asked to sign any autographs won't be bitter and there will not be any hard feelings among or between teammates. Maybe.

Best of luck tonight to the Tornados. Represent East TN as well as you always do.

Edited by papa chaos

the answer to this question is no. these players cant be kept under control because all they think about are themselves. this team is so full of arrogance that it isnt even funny. did you see the way the hooped and hollered at the jamboree when their team won events, come on have some class, dont make a fool of yourself in front of the whole county, save that for when maryville stomps you at home at least...and the way lindsey and warren strut around the field, come on, reid as already lost control. this coach needs to get a grip because these kids just want to show everyone how good they are, not the team, but them individually, they all want the spotlight and that is why they are going to lose on friday. because maryville plays as a team, they always have, and our team can beat warren, lindsey, and fiegler (if fiegler even counts, he is terrible) on their own.