Riverdale wins in Ohio

warriordawg31

Oakland is a good team. I think they are a playoff team but I don't think they will go far this year, but a young good team. Lincoln County is good and possibly region champ but they go to make sure they can score first. It can be proven that if a team scores 2 tds early that you can put LC out of it. Its basically the same thing for Blackman, Oakland scored two quick points before the first half ended, as did LC. If Blackman cannot have a close game going into the half they are going to have a long season.

825729943[/snapback]

i am no rhs fan but am glad they shut the fools in ohio up 4 good.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem! 

I post this on one of their sites to have a little fun.

Re: TN Football King over Ohio teams Edit | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder how often "above average" teams make the DI semifinals in Ohio, like WK did last year?

The backlash from OH is about as I expected...minimizing Riverdale's win. It was a solid win to me.

TN sports board post. Was this wrong? had to be one of the premier match-ups in the nation for this weekend. SPARQ magazine (formerly Student Sports) had Kilbourne ranked No. 15 in the Midwest Region -- Ill., Ind., Iowa, Ky., Mich., Minn., ND and SD, Ohio and Wis. .... Riverdale was ranked No. 16 in the Southeast Region.

825729965[/snapback]

This may be a hard pill to swallow, but Kilbourne is hardly an Ohio team that should strike fear in an out-of-state opponent.

Ohio's Division I is divided into four regions. Region 1 is basically the Cleveland-area, R2 is a the Toledo/Akron-Canton/everywhere else, R4 is Cincinnati-area and R3 is the Columbus-area. The champion of the R3 bracket is almost exclusively cannon fodder for R4 winner in the state semi-final. From 1972-2001, two Columbus area teams made the state finals, 1976 and 2001. In 2001 a Columbus-area suburb, Upper Arlington, won the first OHSAA state title in DI for the Columbus-area. Since then, R3 has continued to fail to reach the title game. Is making the state semi-final game an accomplishment? Absolutely. However, for the most part, the R3 regional champion has been the tallest midget. For instance, Kilbourne lost to R4 champ Colerain 34-3 and won their other three previous playoff games by a combined 11 points.

Why does this happen? R3 is a collection of mid-sized suburban public schools, many of which are fairly new. As Columbus continues to sprawl outward, many Columbus suburbs have grown to two or even three high schools in just the past ten years. In Worthington, the population doubled from 1980 to 2000 to reach 58K. I'm fairly certain Kilbourne was the second high school built in Worthington, opened in 1990 or so and has zero state titles in any sport.

Despite the 34-3 loss to Colerain last year, Kilbourne was a good team, but that was last year. Conversely, any publication that placed Kilbourne 15th in the Midwest was doing so to hype this matchup. IMO, there are at least 10 teams in Ohio DI that I would place in front of Kilbourne.

This may be a hard pill to swallow, but Kilbourne is hardly an Ohio team that should strike fear in an out-of-state opponent. 

Ohio's Division I is divided into four regions.  Region 1 is basically the Cleveland-area, R2 is a the Toledo/Akron-Canton/everywhere else, R4 is Cincinnati-area and R3 is the Columbus-area.  The champion of the R3 bracket is almost exclusively cannon fodder for R4 winner in the state semi-final.  From 1972-2001, two Columbus area teams  made the state finals, 1976 and 2001.  In 2001 a Columbus-area suburb, Upper Arlington, won the first OHSAA state title in DI for the Columbus-area.  Since then, R3 has continued to fail to reach the title game.  Is making the state semi-final game an accomplishment?  Absolutely.  However, for the most part, the R3 regional champion has been the tallest midget.  For instance, Kilbourne lost to R4 champ Colerain 34-3 and won their other three previous playoff games by a combined 11 points.   

Why does this happen?  R3 is a collection of mid-sized suburban public schools, many of which are fairly new.  As Columbus continues to sprawl outward, many Columbus suburbs have grown to two or even three high schools in just the past ten years.  In Worthington, the population doubled from 1980 to 2000 to reach 58K.  I'm fairly certain Kilbourne was the second high school built in Worthington, opened in 1990 or so and has zero state titles in any sport. 

Despite the 34-3 loss to Colerain last year, Kilbourne was a good team, but that was last year.  Conversely, any publication that placed Kilbourne 15th in the Midwest was doing so to hype this matchup.  IMO, there are at least 10 teams in Ohio DI that I would place in front of Kilbourne.

825731885[/snapback]

1. Kilbourne was rated #8 in DI by JJHuddle and higher in some polls.

http://www.jjhuddle.com/update/polls.htm

2. You really won't know how good Kilbourne or Riverdale is until later in the season. I don't think anyone thinks Kilbourne is the best team in Ohio. I do think they are one of the best. Time will tell that.

3. I think it's comical that you...and others...are on this site talking down Kilbourne.

Why not wait and see how they do in your state? Also...wait and see how Riverdale does in ours. At the end of the season...we can look back at this game and see how significant it was.

2. You really won't know how good Kilbourne or Riverdale is until later in the    season. I don't think anyone thinks Kilbourne is the best team in Ohio. I do think they are one of the best. Time will tell that.

3. I think it's comical that you...and others...are on this site talking down Kilbourne.

Why not wait and see how they do in your state? Also...wait and see how Riverdale does in ours. At the end of the season...we can look back at this game and see how significant it was.

825731946[/snapback]

Your point #3 is dead-on.

2. You really won't know how good Kilbourne or Riverdale is until later in the    season. I don't think anyone thinks Kilbourne is the best team in Ohio. I do think they are one of the best. Time will tell that.

825731946[/snapback]

1. JJ Huddle is a Columbus based entity that has traditionally pumped R3 teams in past years. It should also be said that same poll saw three of it's top ten lose. Besides, it was a preseason poll. Any poll worth a dime isn't accurate until the first four weeks are complete. High school football is a crapshoot, not an exact science. I honestly would have had them in the top 15 as they returned 13 starters from 2004 until I read about their second scrimmage result (see below). Another site didn't even have Kilbourne in their top 15: http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94376

2. No one is claiming that Kilbourne is the best or worst team in Ohio. I merely gave some background to give Riverdale fans an idea of where they stand. I have no stake in the matter and I (and many others) fully expected Kilbourne to lose and lose big. Teams such as St. Ignatius, St. Edward and Benedictine all had open dates week one until very late and would have provided a much better test for Riverdale. In fact, Kilbourne had an agreement with Benedictine (a DIII Cleveland power) for week one and reneged to play Riverdale instead of probably losing to a DIII Catholic school. Time will not tell for Kilbourne. With the exception of Riverdale and DIII Watterson, Kilbourne's schedule and league is weak. In fact, only two of the six leageue teams opened their season with a win.

As I mentioned earlier, Kilbourne also scrimmaged a weak Marion Harding football team (6-4 in 2004) a week prior the Riverdale game and only managed a 10-10 tie with the starters. Marion Harding lost in week 1 to a Marysville team that was 5-5 last season.

3. It's equally comical to see you and others look for polls and posters to prop Kilbourne as one of Ohio's best. I gave stats/data to back up my opinions, whereas others are going on pure speculation.

1.  JJ Huddle is a Columbus based entity that has traditionally pumped R3 teams in past years.  It should also be said that same poll saw three of it's top ten lose.  Besides, it was a preseason poll.  Any poll worth a dime isn't accurate until the first four weeks are complete.  High school football is a crapshoot, not an exact science.  I honestly would have had them in the top 15 as they returned 13 starters from 2004 until I read about their second scrimmage result (see below).  Another site didn't even have Kilbourne in their top 15: http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94376

2.  No one is claiming that Kilbourne is the best or worst team in Ohio.  I merely gave some background to give Riverdale fans an idea of where they stand.  I have no stake in the matter and I (and many others) fully expected Kilbourne to lose and lose big.  Teams such as St. Ignatius, St. Edward and Benedictine all had open dates week one until very late and would have provided a much better test for Riverdale.  In fact, Kilbourne had an agreement with Benedictine (a DIII Cleveland power) for week one and reneged to play Riverdale instead of probably losing to a DIII Catholic school.  Time will not tell for Kilbourne.  With the exception of Riverdale and DIII Watterson, Kilbourne's schedule and league is weak.  In fact, only two of the six leageue teams opened their season with a win.   

As I mentioned earlier, Kilbourne also scrimmaged a weak Marion Harding football team (6-4 in 2004) a week prior the Riverdale game and only managed a 10-10 tie with the starters.  Marion Harding lost in week 1 to a Marysville team that was 5-5 last season. 

3.  It's equally comical to see you and others look for polls and posters to prop Kilbourne as one of Ohio's best.  I gave stats/data to back up my opinions, whereas others are going on pure speculation.

825732073[/snapback]

So...you are basing your opinions of Kilbourne on scrimmages. I don't know about Ohio...but down here scrimmages don't mean much. Riverdale played Kilbourne because they called them. Riverdale posted an ad on the bluegrass preps website. Kilbourne called and they worked out a home and home series.

I really don't think Riverdale checked the preseason or spring scrimmages in Ohio to decide whom to play. By the way...how's the FreshPrince doing? :thumb:

Nah...the fact is...you don't know how good Kilbourne is. They may make it past the semis this year. Another thing is that Rivedale didn't just squeak by Kilbourne. They won 26-7...not 10-7.

Edited by Antwan