Alcoa & Tennessee

revjj1

What does Alcoa have in common with the Tennessee football team?? They can't beat their #1 rival. After watching Maryville play by themselves Friday Night, one conclusion can be made. The Maryville-Alcoa game has nothing to do with talent, execution or even the players. It is all mental.

You could tell when Alcoa came on to the field that they were going to lose, no emotion whatsoever. As an Alcoa alumni it frustrates me to see them play their worse game every year against Maryville.

Alot of talk has happened about how "overated" Alcoa is and the talk is warranted b/c of the way Alcoa didn't show up on Friday. But, next year we'll look at how many D-1 players Alcoa has compared to how many Maryville has.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Warren (the best player in TN) not playing definitely had an impact; not sure if Alcoa would have won but it the game would have been closer because on both sides of the ball, Maryville nor anyone else has a player that can stop Brandon Warren.

As for 2000, Marvyille making excuses for a loss??????????????? Seems like to Maryville fans they can make excuses but when someone else does it, it becomes unacceptable. Wilkes wasn't that good any way and Alcoa (who made mistakes in that game as well) won that game b/c they outplayed Marvyille.

Every year Maryville jumps out on top and Alcoa decides to play mid way through the 3rd quarter.

Stat of the game is that Lindsey only had 7 carries!!!!!!!!!! Even so, Duck had 100+ yards and 2 td's, if he had 15-20 carries he may have had 200+ yards.

Bottom line: Maryville won b/c mental factor and the coaching factor. Same thing every year, not b/c of superior athletes but b/c of a mental factor.

You think GQ is a good coach??? He is, but if he coached against James Dalton and this Alcoa team it would have been the same result as when Dalton coached Alcoa teams against Maryville in the 80s and 90s: Alcoa win

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Alcoa have in common with the Tennessee football team??  They can't beat their #1 rival.  After watching Maryville play by themselves Friday Night, one conclusion can be made.  The Maryville-Alcoa game has nothing to do with talent, execution or even the players.  It is all mental.

You could tell when Alcoa came on to the field that they were going to lose, no emotion whatsoever.  As an Alcoa alumni it frustrates me to see them play their worse game every year against Maryville

Alot of talk has happened about how "overated" Alcoa is and the talk is warranted b/c of the way Alcoa didn't show up on Friday.  But, next year we'll look at how many D-1 players Alcoa has compared to how many Maryville has.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Warren (the best player in TN) not playing definitely had an impact; not sure if Alcoa would have won but it the game would have been closer because on both sides of the ball, Maryville nor anyone else has a player that can stop Brandon Warren. 

As for 2000, Marvyille making excuses for a loss???????????????  Seems like to Maryville fans they can make excuses but when someone else does it, it becomes unacceptable.  Wilkes wasn't that good any way and Alcoa (who made mistakes in that game as well)  won that game b/c they outplayed Marvyille.

Every year Maryville jumps out on top and Alcoa decides to play mid way through the 3rd quarter. 

Stat of the game is that Lindsey only had 7 carries!!!!!!!!!!  Even so, Duck had 100+ yards and 2 td's, if he had 15-20 carries he may have had 200+ yards.

Bottom line:  Maryville won b/c mental factor and the coaching factor.  Same thing every year, not b/c of superior athletes but b/c of a mental factor.

You think GQ is a good coach???  He is, but if he coached against James Dalton and this Alcoa team it would have been the same result as when Dalton coached Alcoa teams against Maryville in the 80s and 90s:  Alcoa win

825731866[/snapback]

it's mental alright , Maryville is soooo in your head , it's hilarious . 20 some yards total in the first half ???? :thumb: oh ya , with Brandon there ........ aw nevermind , good luck the rest of the year !!

it's mental alright , Maryville is soooo in your head , it's hilarious .  20 some yards total in the first half ???? :thumb:  oh ya , with Brandon there ........ aw  nevermind , good luck the rest of the year !!

825731877[/snapback]

It's easy to look good when the other team quits and lays down for you. Watch out for Central, this could be their year

The only time GQ had a chance to go head to head with Punky Dalton was three years ago and Maryville won 56-12. If you don't think Quarles and his staff is head and shoulders above the staff we had in the late 80's early 90's, or that our program is much stronger now than then you are in denial.

If you are saying that Brandon Warren could have single handedly overcome a three touchdown deficit by himself so be it. That is a stretch to me and if Alcoa has the superior athletes than why would only one, regardless of his ability make such a difference? Lindsey probably should have gotten more touches but half of his yards came on one run and Maryville was already substituting freely because Quarles is not foolish enough to leave so many starters in a game that is already decided.

The 2000 game turned on an interception returned for a touchdown thrown by a sophmore qb, and a fumble at alcoa's two yard line by a sophmore running back that would have tied the game. Final score 14-7. Hard to compare that with the three td beatdown that occurred three nights ago.

It's easy to look good when the other team quits and lays down for you.  Watch out for Central, this could be their year

825731897[/snapback]

Quit and laid down? How about getting your butts whipped at all points of attack?

BTW your initial post proves you know very little about football. I did enjoy the whine though. GQ and staff would have schooled Punky.

The players and execution had nothing to do with it??........sheeeesh...what a dumb statement.

Alcoa looked ready to play in pre-game with all that helmet off, hip-hop, in your face taunting pre-game show. After about three plays of Maryville busting them in the mouth all that rah-rah crap disappeared. What an embarrassment that pre-game warm up was.

The difference in the two teams boils down to team vs individuals.  Alcoa talks about their individual players and Maryville talks about their team.  Team will win out over individuals most of the time.

825731912[/snapback]

A good point to agree with. Also, D1 prospects that get thrown out of games for slugging and miss the next game against the all important "rival" usually go the way of the dodo bird and Brent Schaffer as well as countless other UT and FSU signee's/recruits that had the talent but not the attitude to make it in D1 ball. Alcoa has a few skill players to beat 2A teams with, but not the hoard of strong stud lineman after lineman and separate defensive platoon players to stand up to teams like Maryville and Central, so they should be happy with their once every 5 to 10 year victory over their rival................................ :thumb:

Quit and laid down? How about getting your butts whipped at all points of attack?

BTW your initial post proves you know very little about football. I did enjoy the whine though. GQ and staff would have schooled Punky.

The players and execution had nothing to do with it??........sheeeesh...what a dumb statement.

Alcoa looked ready to play in pre-game with all that helmet off, hip-hop, in your face taunting pre-game show. After about three plays of Maryville busting them in the mouth all that rah-rah crap disappeared. What an embarrassment that pre-game warm up was.

825731918[/snapback]

He schooled Punky with a rebuilding team. Heritage beat alcoa that year. Dalton beat Maryville 5 YEARS straight; you can't deny that

825731918[/snapback]

They laid down and quit. Hard for me to say but they did. If i don't know anything about football then tell me how; don't argue without backing it up.

Guarantee I know this rivialry better than you

He schooled Punky with a rebuilding team.  Heritage beat alcoa that year.  Dalton beat Maryville 5 YEARS straight; you can't deny that

825731927[/snapback]

Dalton's teams won five in a row because he had better teams than MHS. MHS has won 11 of the past 12 because they have had better teams. Notice I used the word TEAM. Nothing mental in either situation. It all comes down to execution.

Edited by krakatoa

He schooled Punky with a rebuilding team.  Heritage beat alcoa that year.  Dalton beat Maryville 5 YEARS straight; you can't deny that

825731927[/snapback]

Nothing to deny.....Maryville wasn't very well coached then and Alcoa was loaded. I will give Punky credit.....he was able to get the Alcoa kids to come out for football and enstalled some discipline. That has always been the ticket for success at Alcoa. They athletes have and always will be there. Having said that GQ and staff would have schooled Punky. Just a completely different level of coaching.