Fuel Costs Force TSSAA Changes

itzme

Interesting article in this morning's Tennessean about how rising gasoline prices have forced TSSAA to cancel some meetings and modify some policies regarding qualifying for post-season.

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...&story_id=11411

DII teams, of course, are expected to travel cross state on a regular basis every year. Now can't we just put patriotism and care for our environment along with sympathy for rising costs and make our football classifications sane again? Let's put DI and DII back together for the sake of our country!

C'mon...Gary, Ron, Ronnie...let's show those terrorists that we care more about the USA than we do some silly provincial pride! Wouldn't you rather lose an occasional state title to MBA or BA than to keep sending our hard earned American dollars to some sheik in the middle east?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely untrue.  Having everyone, including the current DII together would allow for regions to be, well, regional.

825739760[/snapback]

It's not untrue. I listed how the classes and regions could be put together once on here, the topic is long gone, but yes it could be done even with the "super 8" teams and in sports other than football. Look at the teams adding football just in Chattanooga in the last couple of years. I will look and see if it's still on the computer and post it again, or sometime do it again, it took maybe 30 minutes.

Edited by Indian

It's not untrue. I listed how the classes and regions could be put together once on here, the topic is long gone, but yes it could be done even with the "super 8" teams and in sports other than football. Look at the teams adding football just in Chattanooga in the last couple of years. I will look and see if it's still on the computer and post it again, or sometime do it again, it took maybe 30 minutes.

825739967[/snapback]

It's true perhaps if you have a presumption that there will be some kind of split at all. Clearly, having no split gives any scheduler a lot more flexibility.

My initial post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek anyways. I do recognize reality. Gas could be $10 a gallon, and there could be roving packs of bus hijackers on I-40 before TSSAA gave a hoot about DII.

Edited by itzme

I think I'll take another opportunity to plug Plan 47 here ::) It has two features that reduce travel:

(1) Schools can play whoever they like in the regular season, whether according to travel considerations or other reasons.

(2) By maintianing areas as constant and changing the number of qualifiers to balance the structure, even the playoffs wouldn't see such ridiculousness as the northwest and southwest corners paired immediately.

silverpie,

Something has to be done to reduce the travel cost & time out of the classroom. When schools from Memphis travel to Chattanooga they leave around 11:00am don't get back home until around 2:00am and IMO that is CRAZY for high school student/athletes. When the federal government is asking people to conserve fuel the TSSAA is sending people from one end of the state to the other. Could it be that people need to contact Senator Frist and tell him what is going on and how they feel. The TSSAA will bend to political pressure but that is the only way something will happen.

silverpie,

(snip)

Could it be that people need to contact Senator Frist and tell him what is going on and how they feel.  The TSSAA will bend to political pressure but that is the only way something will happen.

825741001[/snapback]

Better to contact your state senators and/or representatives--and your area's BoC and LC members too. No use literally making a federal case out of this :lol:

It will never happen as long as the TSSAA council is exclusively public and big public at that.  We all know that the big publics that dominate LIKE to dominate, and there is no way in (the hooooottttt place) that they are gonna let the Super 7 back in, much less the smaller preps like BGA and Webb.

825742608[/snapback]

Exactamundo!

...and that's why some of us continue to poke fun at them.

Bring back DII, or the terrorists win! :o

It will never happen as long as the TSSAA council is exclusively public and big public at that.  We all know that the big publics that dominate LIKE to dominate, and there is no way in (the hooooottttt place) that they are gonna let the Super 7 back in, much less the smaller preps like BGA and Webb.

825742608[/snapback]

No way a 350 student Brentwood Academy should have been beating a 2,500 student Riverdale in the finals. It wasn't a random large school they beat, it was the best in the state and was a fraction of the size. BA should not have been able to put multiple players into Division 1-A college programs either, on the average, but they somehow did and continue to do so. They need to remain split.