Displaced Players

BigDogDaddy

There are/were approximately 200 Catholic private schools in New Orleans. If there is any mass movement to schools I would think it would be in the private Catholic schools. I don't think that would be planned in advance or happen on short notice but Catholics who move to certain areas are going to look for Catholic schools. Whether or not they can afford that at this point in their lives is an unknown. This may be a more realistic possibility in the 2006-07 school year when communication lines, etc, have been re-established.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect your opinion of the TSSAA, but I base mine not on some rash, quick reason. It's from 16 years or so of having to deal with them and continously scratching my head at some of their decisions.

Tanktalk,

What makes you think the TSSAA is not fair.  Their is no way they  can please everybody.  They are just like officials - no matter who they flag for a penalty, some idiot coach gets mad. 

You can't please evry body all of the time.  Sometimes you can please any body any of the time.

nuff said,

bbs

825740108[/snapback]

I think they should all have to prove themselves. With no paperwork or proof that they even played before there should be a trial period.  They should have to get physicals before they step on the field.  Then.. let the best player play. B)

825740024[/snapback]

The law says we must take displaced folks in, no questions asked. So, that means you can't make them take a physical. Only after things settle down are we to begin checking on them.

Help now, ask questions later. They lost everything, we're trying to play a game.

There are/were approximately 200 Catholic private schools in New Orleans. If there is any mass movement to schools I would think it would be in the private Catholic schools. I don't think that would be planned in advance or happen on short notice but Catholics who move to certain areas are going to look for Catholic schools. Whether or not they can afford that at this point in their lives is an unknown. This may be a more realistic possibility in the 2006-07 school year when communication lines, etc, have been re-established.

825740115[/snapback]

I think your zeroing in on what may happen. With all the Christian based relief efforts I would be surprised not to see several of these students attending the Div II schools this year FOR FREE as part of the schools aid program. It will also help when the school applies for non profit grants from the feds.

Now I am not saying these kids will play much in 05-06 but after the Kids and families get attached to the area I can see a distinct possibility that 06-07 will see more of them playing in our state.

Dhack

825740115[/snapback]

Wow coacht! Are you sure that is right? That`s a whole lot of Catholic schools. I can`t imagine that many in the whole state. Just wanted to make sure you didn`t mean 20 in New Orleans.

Wow coacht! Are you sure that is right? That`s a whole lot of Catholic schools. I can`t imagine that many in the whole state. Just wanted to make sure you didn`t mean 20 in New Orleans.

825740130[/snapback]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans#Schools

I am assuming by parochial that they mean catholic. If not, then I am in error.

There is supposed to be around 350 arriving in Tullahoma Tuesday to be housed at the national guard barracks. I don't know how this will affect Tullahoma High School. There are so many unknowns and uncetainties regarding this situation. We definitely should help these people anyway we can under the law. I think we would certainly get their help if the situation was reversed. If athletes are involved, and they can win a position on a team, then they should be able to play. It would be a tough choice for coaches to make, but that's the reason they make the big bucks. HaHa I would think most of these people will go home, if and when they get the chance. There's no place like home. Hillsboro had six refugees on their team Friday nite at Tullahoma, with three of them dressed out. I don't know if anyone of them played. God bless these people.

While I have the greatest sympathy for the victims of Katrina, I hear the buzz about "great players" coming to "our school" and how they will be awesome!

But I have to ask the question, what happens when that displaced player bumps a 4th year senior from his hard earned starting position?

Just a another in a long list of reasons why I would never be a high school coach!

825739851[/snapback]

That's why I say limit the number of displaced players on a team. If you try to stack your roster (or just coincidentally wind up with a lot of new players) you're going to have to bump some guys. If you only take on a few guys (3 or 4 to a team) then you should be able to shuffle guys around enough to get everyone a fair amount of time (I mean, if someone's good enough to start for you, they're probably good enough to stay in the rotation, even if they lose their spot). Sounds silly that we'd be discussing this for a varsity team, but this is an odd situation.

EDIT: Has anyone heard about Super/Elite 7/8 schools getting players? McCallie has accepted 4 displaced students so far with more believed to be on the way. The 4 so far are all part of the boarding program, all freshman, and I don't believe any of them play football.

Edited by mcallister1479