CoachT Top 10 Poll

TheGreatLineJudge

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that this poll is really a popularity contest. If a team has a lot of coacht posters, then they can stuff the ballot box even if their team is so-so. I didn't get to vote, but I will try this weekend after the Brentwood tournament. Voters really need to look at a team's results against other teams in the poll and know results against common opponents. It takes a lot of research to really be accurate and I assume most people vote with their gut feelings. It would be nice to know how a team did during the week so you could move them up or down for the next poll. I will try to post some scores involving these teams so voters will be more informed.

PageMan is headed in the right direction there. Teams with a good following will show up in the poll, no matter what place they take. Admittedly we had a low turnout this week, but the results are what they are.

825748939[/snapback]

Also, I hear what the one poster is saying when asking why is ER ahead of ND when ND beat them heads up but you have to look at things overall and also where are they at right now. ER just came off of a very good Cho-Choo tournament, where they beat Ft. Ryan but Ft. Ryan is ahead of them. Also, Bradley Central has beaten both Ooltewah (1-1 heads up) and ND but lost to ER. Ooltewah has won once but lost twice to ND. And finally, as another poster stated Ooltewah has beaten Baylor twice buth they (OHS) have also lost to ER 3 times. It's a tough call and I suggest if you want to see some changes, then send your top 25 to GLJ on Sunday afternoon.

This is the first poll, and it will have errors and biases. If you don't like where a certain team is ranked, then vote. The only sure way to make this poll as fair as possible is to get as many votes as possible from all over the state. Encourage your coaches to visit this site and vote. We get very minimal coverage of our sport, and there has never been a statewide poll for volleyball like in the other sports. If we want volleyball to get noticed, we need to create some stir and get some hits here.

IMHO, trying to pick the top 25 is like trying to win the lottery. After the top half-dozen or so it seems like it's a toss up on a daily basis. Why don't we just stick with a Top 10? I would think it would be much more accurate and also would encourage more voters to participate because it's safer. For example, if I had to try and pick the top 25 accurately I would probably enfuriate about 60% of them because the research simply isn't readily available and they beat each other continuously. That is probably why I haven't voted, it's too hard.

If the other aspect of the poll is to give some teams recognition even if they aren't a top 10 team yet, then add a bubble list at the bottom with comments. Prepvolleyball.com does such a list all the time. So what if some teams don't have a number beside them. The number in a 25 team list probably isn't accurate anyway.

IMHO, trying to pick the top 25 is like trying to win the lottery.  After the top half-dozen or so it seems like it's a toss up on a daily basis.  Why don't we just stick with a Top 10?  I would think it would be much more accurate and also would encourage more voters to participate because it's safer.  For example, if I had to try and pick the top 25 accurately I would probably enfuriate about 60% of them because the research simply isn't readily available and they beat each other continuously.  That is probably why I haven't voted, it's too hard.

If the other aspect of the poll is to give some teams recognition even if they aren't a top 10 team yet, then add a bubble list at the bottom with comments.  Prepvolleyball.com does such a list all the time.  So what if some teams don't have a number beside them.  The number in a 25 team list probably isn't accurate anyway.

825751922[/snapback]

I second.

Announcements