Depth Chart

BigDogDaddy

I'm curious as to whether coaches still use depth charts. Is there a wall in the field house that shows each player on offense and defense where he stands in the pecking order? Is that helpful or hurtful to the player or to the program?

Are second string players given realistic opportunities to "beat out" the starter during the week (after pre-season) or do they have to wait on injuries. Are they given goals, so that they can expect more PT if they achieve them? Do you leave your starters in or do you platoon based on the goal achievemant of the second stringer?

(Alot of questions, but I wanted to give an over sense of what I was asking)

I know when I played from 99-02, we had a depth chart. Any time I saw my name in that #2 spot, which wasn't often :thumb: , I would make sure that at that next practice, the guy in the number one spot ahead of me would get nothing but mouthfulls of my helmet all day. The depth chart, IMO, gives a lot of motivation to step up and show that you deserve the start.

I agree. It would allow kids to know where they stand. The problem is that we have gotten away from that in schools, and sports are included. It is all about building up kids self confidence. The only problem with that is that sometimes kids get a false sense of reality. Then when they get into the real world reality smacks them in the face. I say, by all means please put up depth charts. Maybe it will bring back some good old competition amongst players to fight for playing time, and know how good they really are.

Centennial has a depth chart that sits in the coaches office.

Heck yes the coach should show the players their depth chart. Knowing where you stand will give you an understanding of what you need to do to move up or stay on top.

I also wouldn't mind seeing those depth charts for other teams, so I know who I'm playing against :lol: .

I know when I played from 99-02, we had a depth chart. Any time I saw my name in that #2 spot, which wasn't often :lol: , I would make sure that at that next practice, the guy in the number one spot ahead of me would get nothing but mouthfulls of my helmet all day. The depth chart, IMO, gives a lot of motivation to step up and show that you deserve the start.

We also had a depth chart when i played.....and your right it dose give alot of motivation and if it dosen't motivate you be in that number 1 spot then you shouldn't even be playing