Coaching, Need advice

titansdog

Not a very enjoyable season so far, how do you address a coaching staff that is incapable of preparing the team for the games and struggle with making game-time adjustments. We have a new and first time head coach with assistants that can't seem to make decisions or put the right players in the right positions. We have some talented players but the coaches choose to put them in positions that they are incapable of performing from and they put players who are incapable performing in critical positions and hope they can make a play. It's frustrating to watch every week when the coaching staff fails to do the basics, even the players are questioning the decisions. Do I just sit and watch rookie coaches completely decimate what could've been a really good team and season, or speak up in a constructive manner. HELP!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stand behind your team's coaches. Congradulate them when they make good decisions. Keep your mouth shut when you don't agree with them. They will know when they make decisions that arn't good ones. When their decision dosn't work for them, they will see it, and be able to make changes. It may take time, but as long as the coaches are working hard, and trying to do whats best for the team, stand behind them. Wiser decisions and better results will come with time.

Stand behind your team's coaches. Congradulate them when they make good decisions. Keep your mouth shut when you don't agree with them. They will know when they make decisions that arn't good ones. When their decision dosn't work for them, they will see it, and be able to make changes. It may take time, but as long as the coaches are working hard, and trying to do whats best for the team, stand behind them. Wiser decisions and better results will come with time.

Good advice.

if you're going to criticize, then do it privately and bold. Don't be some coward who does it via a matter they won't get recognized. Nor do you need to take it to a public forum.

Although, criticism really isn't needed. If a staff makes a wrong move - most likely they know it and will take measures to ensure they don't go that route again.

Sure a coach does a "public" job - but he gets paid no more than you, or me, and sometimes, frankly, he gets paid less. Now I'm sure you don't make near enough for someone to question your decisions and to tell you how to do your job, no?

Today - a letter to the editor was submitted for publication in the Newport Plain Talk saying it was time for the head coach at an area school to all but pack his bags, because the talent level was too good to be losing (which is very incorrect). The letter to the editor went on to state several other very incorrect facts.

Point is - if there's some criticism to be made - the coaches probably already know it. Most likely, these coaches know more football than we non-coaches have forgotten. So really, and even though it's against human nature, I'd just hold off on the criticisms because I'm sure the coaches know the decisons to make.

I'll leave this post with these thoughts.

1) Coaching is very overrated.

2) Talent and execution is very underrated.

Sums up to this statement a very wise man once told me - you can't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule.

Sometimes the problem isn't the coaches - its the kids. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken &@^& folks. And sometimes the parents and fans fail to see that and make a coaches life miserable, over something a coach really has no control over.

Good Post PTSportsWriter,

IMO you laid it all out very well. Most people that think coaches make the wrong decisions would not know talent if it hit them in the face. Especially if they are parents in regard to their own children. And to have a player question a coach (rookie or not) is pretty much ridiculous. These people that are complaining watch too much TV on Saturday and Sunday and then compare their kids and the talent level to the college and pro players. Every parent thinks that their kid is going to make it big time and put them on easy street. It would be interesting to follow those people around at work and look over their shoulder on every thing they do. While we are at it, then just talk about it all over town and call for them to be fired. They prolly wouldn't stand for that would they.

Any complaint you have about a coach or about your childs playing time should be saved for PILLOW TALK discuss it with your spouse in the bed with out your child around never let the child hear you complain about his coach remember today that person is his coach but when the child get older and has a job it will be his boss this is why i think sports is a great learning tool for kids in real life If i dont like my boss i can not quit my good paing job with good benefits because i dont like my boss i have to learn to work with my boss and do a good job same with a player The player has to work hard and get better and when he works hard coaches WILL notice it may not be this week or this year but they will notice. If you hear your child complain because he is not playing enough you MUST support the coach and encourage your child to work harder than EVERYONE else and to keep working not only will the coaches notice his hard work but he will get better and if becomes even with a player the one who works the hardest will start.

WC49,

You may need to be a coach. ;)

You've put many wise words on CoachT! :)

THE SQUAD

I understand you frustration with inept coaching.

I recommend you get your teaching certification and give it a shot, or move, so your student-athlete may enroll in another school. Otherwise, keep the whining to a minimum. Teachers/coaches are underpaid and underappreciated due to the fact that administrators and the general public know they love their jobs and will work for less than they deserve.

Every coach can't win the Blue Cross Bowl. Our coaches work too hard to be second guessed by fans hiding behind screen names.

Coaching is a very simple job. Just sit in the stands on any given Friday night or stand around the field with all of the wannabes and listen to what the coach SHOULD do. Better yet go to the local coffee shop on Saturday morning and find out what shuld have been called.

I say let's put head sets under designated seats, buzz the listener and tell them to give us a play that will certainly work. They have 25 seconds to think of a play, get it to the coach, get it to the QB, get it to the team, break the huddle, line up and run the play. SIMPLE ENOUGH - JUST DO IT.

Coaching is a very simple job. Just sit in the stands on any given Friday night or stand around the field with all of the wannabes and listen to what the coach SHOULD do. Better yet go to the local coffee shop on Saturday morning and find out what shuld have been called.

I say let's put head sets under designated seats, buzz the listener and tell them to give us a play that will certainly work. They have 25 seconds to think of a play, get it to the coach, get it to the QB, get it to the team, break the huddle, line up and run the play. SIMPLE ENOUGH - JUST DO IT.

many saturday morning qbs don't take into consideration the 80+ hours a week a coach puts in to try to win for the fans and the community. all of us need to support coaches all we can! :thumb: