Smyrna takes on Riverdale

Fball

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i gotta go with sonny.. no im not from smyrna i support riverdale.. yes, i use to think scott was the best seeing as he has the stature and pure arm strength.. but i believe Sonny is head and shoulders above scott.. i saw sonny play against brentwood and he really impressed me.. he has tremendous poise and great at scrambling.. i can totally see him going D1.. and i believe if Scott gets his kinks out he can also become a D1 Qb.. i believe they were both better than Wolke was when he was in high school and look where he is now.. 2nd string at ND.. just an opinion from a football person

Yes Sonny is good. I don't think he is better than Thomas or Rodriguez though. He's without of doubt the future of whether Smyrna is good or not. They better hope he doesn't quit for baseball because the kid is amazing anywhere you put him on the diamond.

Its true, the transfer from Louisiana did go back home to new orleans. I dont no how much that will affect this game, if at all. But i dont believe the trash im hearing about the R-dale defense. And most of all their secondary. They have two two year starters(Antoine Smith and Phillip Stevenson) and a much improved shayne rollins. How is that weak? I think Smith can guard any of the bulldog wideouts 1 on 1. If not thats why stevenson is in the game.But they will be tested with David Wo... I mean sony Gray a QB. Good luck both teams.

I don't like it when it gets eerily quiet.

Smyrna is going to have some success because they are a good football team. That doesn't mean anyone is weak. Those DBs were good enough to win the BC Bowl last year so they should be at least adequate.

The bigger concern was Rankin's comments in yesterday's paper that some of our key guys are still hobbled by injuries. That hurt us in the WC game and looks like a problem again this week.

If it were me, I would sit them down and get them well before the playoffs. If we lose a game now it is much better than going into the playoffs with injuries to these key players. We have some good backups...put them in and let them show what they can do. I think they are ready to take on the challenge.

I don't like it when it gets eerily quiet.

Smyrna is going to have some success because they are a good football team. That doesn't mean anyone is weak. Those DBs were good enough to win the BC Bowl last year so they should be at least adequate.

The bigger concern was Rankin's comments in yesterday's paper that some of our key guys are still hobbled by injuries. That hurt us in the WC game and looks like a problem again this week.

If it were me, I would sit them down and get them well before the playoffs. If we lose a game now it is much better than going into the playoffs with injuries to these key players. We have some good backups...put them in and let them show what they can do. I think they are ready to take on the challenge.

If you think those guys are not going to play and you think Rankin would ever lose a game any game then as they say I have some beach front property in knasas to sell you!

As for being quite --- what the heck would anyone from smyrna have to say without sounding like an idiot.

This is the 1st yr I can remeber so little hype among the Smyrna players. They have had I believe their best 2 days of practice all yr and are approaching this

in an all business manner. I don't know if that is good or bad but it certainly is different from the past when I believe Smyrna was to hyped and to tight which led to very poor play.

No secret what the key is

Rdale will come out and try to intimidate beginning with warm ups and all the pre game stuff they do. then they usually break gaston on a big td run and if you are not focused you have lost before you even get started. I think this team respects rdale and know to expect the above even an early score.

Smyrna has won 4 games and trailed in all of them at some point so hopefully if this happens ( I really hope it doesn't) they will have seen it before.

I think Smyrna has a lot of respect for Riverdale and knows all that emotional hype is meaningless without execution.

Smyrna will show up play hard and whatever happens happens. I really think Smyrna will be loose this yr and play more with a nothing to lose type attitude and take this as a great opportunity to play the no#1 team in the state and being a 25 point underdog has nothing to lose.

I have seen rdale on tape three times and as always they are well coached and hard to get out of position with fakes and reverses and stuff so the only way to beat em is to you have to block them. The only difference I saw between last yr is that teams that can throw a little have been able to actually pick up yards on occasion by blocking their d line and lbs. No one has done it enough to win but if there is anything that makes me a little optimistic it is unlike last yr moving the ball is possible. A couple 1st downs here and there are so important to keep their offense off the field and that is why they are having closer games and less scoring.

It is becasue other teams are keeping the ball a little more.

If you beat riverdale you will not do it with smoke and mirrors you will have to beat them straight up they will not give it to you.

Just like boxing you don't beat the champ in a close decision in his hometown you have to go and beat him toe to toe.

Can Smyrna do it ? History says no

That was a good post.

I'm not sure what the pre-game stuff is. They seem to go through about the same routine as all the other schools. You know, stretch, position drills, run a few plays, and then go back inside so they can make their grand entrance after the coin toss. Pretty standard stuff.

We do have a young DL and at times don't get the push we need to disrupt the other teams offense. That is one of the things that I'll be watching closely tomorrow night. It also puts a lot more pressure on the DBs because they are almost always in man coverage. We've had some defenses that really grew up over the course of the season and I'm hoping this one follows suit.

I wasn't aware that Smyrna had trailed in all of their wins. Getting behind early shouldn't affect them too much.

i dont think rankin will call off the dogs tonight.. when everyone came to school today they got a pleasant suprise that smyrna students left them last night.. they wrote "SHS Bulldogs" in puple paint i believe on our (riverdale's) track.. so i believe rankin will run it up... because i for one knows that ranking dont like it when people mess with his stuff..shouldnt smyrna know they dont wanna waken a sleeping giant??

Am I the only person that thinks that Smyrna can hang a few points on Riverdale tonight??? I have become the president of the Wilson Central fan club and I can admit that from a pure athleticism standpoint, Smyrna is more talented than WC is. Gray, Hendricks, Harris, Wilks, Smotherman, and the rest of that bunch is a talented, talented crew. As a matter of fact, I will go on record as saying that if Smyrna is the #4 team out of Region 4-5A, they will knock 3-5A champ Cookeville out of the box. I think Smyrna's problems are on the defensive side of the ball, which will doom then tonight, but their offense is scary when you look at its versatility and personnel. I'll say Riverdale 34 Smyrna 20.