Lake County at McKenzie - Oct. 14

BOHICA

I`m just curious about something. Was this game close the whole game? What was the biggest lead that each team had??

[/q

Lake Co scored first and Mckenzie answered..Lake Co fumbeled on about their own 35 yard line on their next possession and Mckenzie scored again...After that Mckenzie would score and Lake Co would score...And Mckenzie had to hit a couple 4 and 16 and 4 and 13 on two of those drive..One was a wounded duck pass that seemed to go to another receiver as Hays was leveled as he was throwing the ball..A freak play but it was a score..The other was a great catch near the sideline with Springer all over him..A play of inches..Mckenzie went in at halftime up by 7 but they were getting the ball to start the second half...I was worried at that time because if they scored again they would be up two touchdowns..Lake Co scored and tried an on side kick that at first the officials ruled was Lake Co ball..The officials huddled and overturned the call...I believe a Mckenzie player touched the ball but it rolled out of bounds as the Lake Co player was recovering the ball..Anyway...Lake Co held Mckenzie and foced Mckenzie to punt in the 4th quarter with the game tied 47-47 with about 11 minutes to go in the game...Lake Co put about a 4 minute drive together to the McKenzie 35 yard line and was facing a 4th and 3 with about 6 minutes to play..Mckenzie held for the 1st time all night...Mckenzie scored with about 3 minutes to play in the game and kicked the extra point..Lake Co had 3 minutes left to score and go for the tie or the win...Lake Co seemed to take too long on letting too much time run off the clock..With about 2 minutes left,they were at about mid-field or just a little beyond but as long as they were taking,the clock was ticking off fast..Lake needs to do a better job managing the clock..But Lake Co ended up throwing a pass that Sep Valentine caught over his shoulder at the 4 YARD LINE with about 39 seconds left...On 1st down..Lake ran the ball to about the 3 yard line and spiked the ball on 2nd down..With about 25 seconds left,Lake ran the ball for no gain and had to hurry and line up to run another play with no time-outs lefts..They snapped the ball with about 4 seconds left and scored on a great catch in the end zone with 0 time left..Lake decided to go for two and the win and Mckenzie came up with a great stop.

Edited by mrbigster

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanna say great game to everyone involved. Lake County has a class team and class fans. There was hardly any trash talking on the field at all, and thats the way it needs to be. Good luck to Lake Co. the rest of the year.

#68 Schweitzer

Same goes to you guys and your fans....I noticed after a couple of Lake Co players were injured and had to be helped off the field that most everyone on the Mckenzie side not only clapped for our players but stood on their feet and gave them a standing ovation...Very classy..Good luck the rest of the season ..Hope we meet again but if we happen to be the team still not playing ,will be cheering for you guys..

Seriously. Someone call Phillip Fulmer right now and tell him to suit up Drew Hayes against Alabama next week. He may not be a D-1 caliber quarterback right now, but hey, neither are Clausen or Ainge ;)

Greatest game I've ever seen. 107 points the highest-scoring game in Lake County history (previous high was 97; LC over Obion Co. 62-35 in 1985), I believe 54 points might be the second-most points ever allowed by an LC team (Bruceton scored 62 in a 1999 LC loss), and no telling how many individual records were broken tonight. Maybe even some state records, who knows.

I can't fault LC for going for two in that situation, and everyone knew that was the only play they had. Maybe Barger should have come out in some convoluted formation and either gotten a delay of game or forced McKenzie to call a time out, but that's the only thing I might have done differently. They were worn out and I don't know if they had anything left in the tank for overtime. Besides, their kicker is probably somewhere about 35-40% on the season on PATs, so there's always that chance he misses.

I said in the first quarter that the game might come down to who had the ball last, and it pretty much did. Bottom line, McKenzie just made one or two fewer mistakes in the game and came out with a hard-fought win. The two turnovers in the first half killed the Falcons -- little doubt that LC would have scored right before the half had Springer not fumbled the ball at the 5.

Lemonds ran out of gas in the fourth quarter. His legs were just shot. I don't know how many carries he had in the game, but I'm sure it was twice as many as he's ever had. I think LC attempted about 6 passes tonight; that might be a season-high. Unbelievable catches by Valentine on the fourth-and-long to the 4, and then again on the touchdown as time expired.

Sure hope Bogan is OK. He would have really made a difference on defense if he had been 100%. I think we can get past Gleason and Bruceton without him, but I'd sure like to have him healthy for a playoff game at Fayette Academy -- hey, we owe them one. Amazing what realignment will do for a region -- in the old 8-1A, 8-2 would win the region most years. Now, 8-2 might be good enough for third place. And either West Carroll or Bruceton will be sitting at home in Week 11.

And I'm still confused -- what exactly happened to Don Horner on the onside kick? He lay motionless on the field for about 5 minutes, it looked like they were about to call the ambulance, then all of a sudden he pops up and walks off the field. 5 minutes later, he's back in the ballgame. I thought the rule said that if a player is unconscious or apparently unconscious, he has to have written approval from a physician before re-entering the game. With the one official that has the biggest vendetta against Lake Co. at head linesman on the LC sideline, I'm really surprised he didn't call them on it. (All in all, couple of bad calls aside, game was fairly well-officiated. Bad calls didn't lead to scores or turnovers.)

Hats off to McKenzie and Lake Co., both teams played their hearts out. I know the Falcons are just dying a little inside tonight after that one, but they have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Well let me say first congrats to both teams for a great game, as for what happened to the Horner kid, I believe I can answer that question since I am his father. During the onside kick he and the McKenzie player both went for the ball, their helments hit and my son was hit in the back of the head. He NEVER passed out. However he was dazed and felt a stinging in the back of his neck. Since he was dazed he waited a moment to get up. By this time they were telling him to lay still, in which he did very well, enough to scare a parent to death. Their were two gentelmen that were on the field one of which was a Rehab/Sports Medicine Coordinator for McKenzie Regional Hospital, and the other was a parent from the Mckenzie side, and I am sorry that I did not get his name,but from the way the two were talking to each other I assumed he was a Doctor. My son was telling them that he was ok and he wanted to get up, they checked the feeling in his legs, arms, and neck. They then decided to roll him over, checked him again, and decided that an ambulance was not needed. It was then that they decided to get him up and they performed a few more test on him on the sidelines. They told me that he seemed fine and that most likely, he just got his "bell rung". I am grateful those two gentelmen were there and would like to say "thanks" We are parents first and fans second, when there is a kid hurt, on either side, it brings out the parents in all of us.

That's great to hear, I'm glad Don is OK. It didn't just scare the parents to death -- you could have heard a pin drop in that place after that happened. I saw the helmet-to-helmet collision and when he didn't move, I feared the worst. But I'm glad he's OK. Probably will have a headache for a few days, though. Now let's get Bogan healthy.

Still not over the game. Through my highly unscientific and somewhat but not really thorough research at 1:00 this morning, I believe last night ties for the highest-scoring game in the state this year. Ezell-Harding beat CPA 55-52 two weeks ago (107 combined points, same as this game), but that one went 4 overtimes. I'm positive that no regulation game has been that high-scoring.

Same goes to you guys and your fans....I noticed after a couple of Lake Co players were injured and had to be helped off the field that most everyone on the Mckenzie side not only clapped for our players but stood on their feet and gave them a standing ovation...Very classy..Good luck the rest of the season ..Hope we meet again but if we happen to be the team still not playing ,will be cheering for you guys..

I feel certain that the Rebel fans will be pulling for LC if we are knocked out of the playoffs first too. I've been talking with some of ya'll since before the season opened and it's always been good. Especially Fiday night before the game. Every aspect of the matchup last Friday has been a class act from before the season started. Last Friday night is a perfect example of what high school football is all about to me. Glad to hear that Horner is OK and hope Bogan gets ready to play before the playoffs start. He is a great asset to ya'lls team!

Untill next time, Ya'll have a good 'un.

Duckman, was this game better than last year's Camden-McKenzie game?

Even tough last years Camden-McKenzie was a good one for sure, last Friday night's game was the most exciting, nerve wracking (they should have passed out Valium to the fans in the middle of the 3d quarter) and awesome offensive show I have ever seen. I've never seen a football game in my life that would compare to this one at any level. I HAVE seen some great games in my time but, the McKenzie-Lake Co. game last Friday night is on a whole different plane from all the rest. I was so wound up when I got home I couldn't even think about going to bed 'till around 3 AM!!!

You just had to be there maybe???? I'll promise you one thing, those of us who were there (no matter which team we were supporting) won't forget it---------ever!!!!!!!