Coaching Horror Stories

Thesportsreporters

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Baseball story.

I was a Soph starting at third base. We had a Senior on the team who had been there since his Soph year and never started a game, not very good and not very pleasent to be around. We got to halfway point of year and he had played maybe 2 innings. He was becoming vocal with coach and running younger players down if they made an error or were KO'd. We had a couple of days off and had BP and pitching was a little thin so Coach (short stint in Majors as outfielder) was going to pitch. SR came up and I was on deck warming up. Tension between Coach and Sr had already reached a boiling point. SR never was able to touch a curve ball. Coach had been throwing mostly heat just so we stroke the ball. Sr saw about 8 wicked curve balls. SR never got close to hitting the ball. After 9th pitch he told coach. "Coach, you are a Chickens---t to not throw me a fastball." Coach stepped forward and said "Boy what did you say to me?" SR, "You heard me you S.-.B." That had everybody attention. I noticed Coach did not walk back to mound, just smiled. He was now prepared to pitch about 10-15 feet closer in. I was close enough to say quickly to our SR catcher and team captain, "Name, Do you see what I see?" Shutup, I have to concentrate on this one without looking at me"

I thought he was just going to throw a fastball that now would be like 100-105 MPH or faster by the SR and the SR never paid any attention where Coach was standing. But, no, pitch went straight at SR and hit him in the side, never even had a chance to move. Boy grabbed his side starting cussing coach, team and school. He ran off field, never stepped foot on baseball field again. Coach let him walk away without doing or saying a thing. None of us but the Captain ever had the balls to ask Coach if that was intended or one that got away, I think we knew answer, without having to ask him.

After it happened, I walked toward box, he pointed to me and said "Name, your up." Coach was a little excited and had not moved back to the mound. I said "Coach all the same to you but I plan to stay out of the box until you get a foot on that rubber." THe Catcher and infield who had all been silent, busted out laughing. After they finished laughing Coach chuckled, walked back to mound, and hollered out to Def "OK Boys we got us hitter". Threw the first pitch right down the middle about belt high and I drilled it over the left fielders head. All was forgotten and it was baseball again. District and Region champs that year one game from State Finals. I don't know if Coach was right or not to hit him but Coach was old school and all of us developed an old school mentality before that season was over. We played tough, took up for each other on and off field and didn't take crap off nobody. Good bunch of guys. Most are professional now, 1 accountant, 1 doctor, 2 lawyers, 1 Coach, 1 Principal a couple of business owners, etc.

Sounds like my kind of coach.

This is not a coaching horror story, but a horror story that happened to a coach that presently coaches one of the most successful highschool teams in WTenn.

This all happened in the same day:

1) Fired from an assistants job at a DivIAA university

2) wrecked his car

3) wife left him

this also happened to him on his birthday ;)

man that has to stink really bad!

Coach Majors of UT comes to our locker room after practice on a recruiting trip the year after he won Coach of the year at U Of Pittsburg.

He's talking to the team and under a low chant some players are saying BAMA, BAMA. Then Bear, BEAR.

He lost it!

He cused the whole group out for 20 min. BTW-Our running back ended up going to Memphis State.

I was at a game over around Jackson about 6 years ago watching a cousin play. During half time the other team did not go to the locker room, they stayed at one end of the field. (the locker room was almost a mile away) I look across the field to where the opposing team is and see the head coach urinating in the tree line. No kidding! Just about everyone on our side seen it. Some were laughing, some were outraged! (it was at a Christian School). This team is now in our region, but with a different head coach of course.

Edited by Stinger65