Whos The New Coach @ Os

BBALLTN

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where to start. There is no reason Sam Bilyeu should not have gotten the job. He lost three games in the last three years, 2 out of the first 3 in the 2002-03 season(but he still won the sectionals this year), then won 44 in a row before losing in the sectional finals(2003-04 season) in a game they could not buy a basket. Then they went undefeated last year and won the sectionals. He has coached both girls and boys at different times at O.S. for about 20 years. HE HAS NEVER HAD A LOSING SEASON AT O.S. In girls his winning percentage is over 80% probably closer to 90%. I dare anyone to dispute this with any common sense because not only has he had talent but his best coaching has been when he has not had talent, but nobody can tell because they still compete at a high level. Obviously the principal at O.S. did not do his homework, was not really the decision maker, or did not want a coach that makes the players do what they are suppose to do, work really hard, put a lot of time in, and win a lot of games.

I challenge anyone to convince me otherwise!!!!!

Woods did what he thought was right. You are NOT A PRINCIPAL. If you were, you would have made the decision! I think they will be o.k. Coach Christopher will do fine! And if you think you can do any better than her you just need to shut up because if you could do any better you would be on the bench not her! GO LADY CATS. 15 DAYS TILL CLARKRANGE!

Coach Christopher is a nice person and I wish her the best. That's not the point, though, because she cannot coach over a year unless she is a teacher. She might have been the best coach in the state's history but we will never know, so long term the program is still a question mark. We do know how Coach Bilyeu will do long term because he has proven it. You are right if I was the principal I would have chosen Bilyeu because I would have a proven winner that most of the players have played for and loved because they won and learned a lot instead I have a one year interim that I hope and think will do good then no matter how she does I have to go right back through this process of finding a coach again. It does not make any sense and YOU DID NOT COME CLOSE AT PROVING ME WRONG.

Remember, you dont rent a honda for year when someone is offering you a 600 series Mercedes that you can drive long term.

Coach Christopher has investesd many hours on the bench assisting Coach Wright on 2 state tourney teams and two others that were ranked in the top 10 in the state during most of the season.

She deserves support from everyone. Im certain Mr. Woods took advice from many people close to the program ans made the best determination for this year. Around 15 years ago, there was very sucessful middle school was hired at OSHS to take control of a team that consisted of some of the best individual talent ever at the school ( 5-7 of them played college ball somewhere). Despite the fact this young team had gone to the sub state the year before, they never advanced beyond the DISTRICT tourney for two straight years. While the talent never gelled and this team never won a region game, it shows you the difference between high school and middle school can be different.

The point is, you can't always judge who will be a great coach on the high school level. As Coach Wright might have been a tremendous coach in high school, college will be vastly different regarding the style, personalities, and most importantly recruitng. Some people can coach at any level while others can be excpeitonally gifted at one level and not be able to be as successful at the higher level. Of course, each situation is different. Im certain OSHS principal Woods weighed down every possibilty before making his decision.

With the decision being made, its in everyone's best interest to rally around Coach Christopher. She and her team have very high expectations of cutting down the net this year in MBORO in addition to winning a 5th straight district championship.

Edited by OS91

Good post OS91, no matter what you thought Coach K is the Coach and everyone needs to support her and the team as they will need it. Coach K will do and excellent job and is a great person and she really made a diffrence in my Daughter and I always be in her debt. WizardofWood chill you must have a personal thing with this let it go and get behind the team or get out. GO LADY BOBCATS... :thumb:

Honestly, the reason why Sam Bilyeu has been so successful in the past years is because he has had good talent. When he hasn't had good players, what have they done? Yeah, I could be a good coach if I played a very weak schedule too. Someone said that Coach Bilyeu wants his kids to work hard. Evidently not hard enough because he was always against playing AAU. Thats where kids learn most of what they know. And thats how they become good players. Working hard, when everyone else isn't.

Edited by Ace44