Whos The New Coach @ Os

BBALLTN

This is starting to be really funny. I know what college coaches look for in a player. No, AAU does not make or break a player. But you play against the best girls around. You just don't make any sense. You seriously can't say that I am right. But I don't need you to tell me that because I know that MANY people agree with me on this one. Also, I don't have a daughter. But thanks for asking becasue there is one on the way!!

Edited by Ace44

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wizard, please answer this question for me,

How come in the AAU Junior Olympics a couple of years ago in Knoxville there were 76 Division 1 college coaches plus several coaches from various other levels in the Heritage middle school gym to watch two kids play. At least 8 SEC Schools were there as well as 5 ACC, 2 big 10 schools to name a few. Also in Orlando, Fl. this past summer there were over 300 college scouts in attendance to watch the 15/16 under National Tournament and 41 in Dayton Ohio for the 13/Under Nationals. I believe AAU does get great exposure the kids need. If you would take a look at some of the top programs in the state such as the Memphis programs, Shelbyville Sports Shop Tennessee Pride, Tennessee Elite, Tennessee Raiders, Trotters, just to name a few you will find a vast majority of the kids that play for them get college scholarships.

I agree high school is an equal partner in the development of the girls but if you really think for one second AAU does not do much you’re sadly mistaken.

As for the coach at Oliver Springs,

The talent level OS middle school played was weak at best. Probably 85 percent of the teams they played were extremely weak.

I agree Mr. Bilyue won a lot of games at OS, but the weak talent he played against inflates that number greatly. It also in no way equates to a win at the high school level. I am not saying Mr. Bilyue is a real bad X and O guy but it could have been his attitude had something to do with him not getting hired.

Michelle Christopher who I know and respect will do a great job. Will they win the state who knows but I can assure everyone they will play hard and be prepared. In my opinion they could not have chosen a classier person to coach these young ladies.

Get behind her, support her and the kids.

Ace44 I do congratulate you on your girl on the way--parenthood is awesome. Now, if you and hopi would do your research you would see we got on this AAU kick because you said on post 33 that Coach bilyeu evidently must not want his kids to work hard enough because he was always against playing AAU.Then you said that is where kids learn most of what they know. My point was(evidently not clear) that AAU was and is for players to go against good competition so college coaches could see the most players in a limited amount of time. Instead of traveling around to a ton of gyms, they can see possibly 10 good players at once on the floor. Hopi you proved my arguement correct, the only thing is you are incredibly mistaken if you think AAU is an equal partner in developing players as a good high school coach can be or working on you game everyday all spring and summer whereever you are. Coach Bilyeu's fear as a lot of high school coaches is some players develop bad habits because the AAU coach does not MAKE them do all things right. But, AAU is great at serving it's purpose--get players seen by as many college coaches as possible. We will not even get into the illegal recruiting(mostly on the boys side) and money spent on AAU(can I get a amen from some parents)

As for working hard name one middle school coach that put the time into practice as Bilyeu?

Hopi, as for a weak schedule--he played everyone in his district he had to--won the sectional in his division the last 3 years twice, runner-up once--not to mention he always scrimmaged teams from middle tn, played and beat large division people like robertsville, jefferson, and Norris.what was he suppose to do? Dont post unless you have you facts straight.

Oh yeah you never told me you problem with coach B, ACE44

I think its possible to coach talented players and be very successful on the Jr. High level. I'm not advocating Big Sam shouldn't have gotten the job, but something lead that administrator to believe he wasn't right for the job. I know of a similar situation where an extremely successful Jr. High coach was hired at a high school and the program just collapsed under his leadership. (I'm not exaggerating that point either) Sam is/was a good coach with exceptional talent, but there is no assurance that he can translate that to the high school level. Anyway this isn't a pot shot at him, merely a point that OS has a coach hired, looks like that should be where everyones loyalty should lie. Good luck to Oz this season, its gonna be a haymaker!

;) Kaz :)

Kaz, you really dont know as much about OZ bball as I thought you did Kayla is playing the 2 and I dont know what you meant by the Chosen One (you might want to explain) but Kayla will be a great player whether her Mom is Coaching or anyone else. As far as being a Coach or a Mom I would really think she will still do both, and I totally think she can seperate the two. If you are looking for a pot to stir try and find one at your teams OZ' s is full right now. As far as Andrea Parten she is a very good point guard and will do fine.GO LADY BOBCATS... :lol:

One question, how will the new coach evaluate her point guard, as a coach or as a mom? :lol: I always heard you can take the coach out of the mom, but you can't take the mom out of the coach. Just crumbs for thought.

:lol: Kaz ;)

Someone is awful interested in a really stupid question. Oneida (oops) Oliver Springs should be evaluated as a unit, not by a class. I'm sure this inquiry is to create a distraction more than anything. Good Advice: Drop this.

There is, as BBT states, already a stirred pot. And I am not putting in a new spoon I assure you. I am just making a, admittedly, silly reference to Christopher's ascendancy as the next great basketball player at Oliver Springs. You have to admit you have hyped her quite nicely, and having seen her play on the Jr High level I must admit she is an exceptionally accomplished player. I mean, we have continued to heap praise on her and she has yet to step on the high school stage, so I was just being snide. :lol: Really, I, too, think Kayla is destined for great things because her kindergarten teacher told me. :lol: But time will be the best answer of that.

;) Kaz :lol: