The New Tn/ky Private School Athletic Association

tnsddeveloper

In reference to Antwan posting the link for the split in KY, I had an idea. Why don't the TN privates and the KY privates band together and created their own private school association - the TN Valley Athletic Association or whatever?

Two major divisions maybe - TN and KY. Both states are relatively short states considering the height of each state would be combined would equal the length of them - roughly. Geographically, some travel times would be cut down for some. That would make for a lot of schools for a much stronger league. There would be a strong rivalry aspect between the winners of each division since their will be state ties in a championship game.

I think looking at the inevitable split here too (for whatever reason), that this would be a great thing. Any thoughts from anyone?

Edited by tnsddeveloper

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reference to Antwan posting the link for the split in KY, I had an idea. Why don't the TN privates and the KY privates band together and created their own private school association - the TN Valley Athletic Association or whatever?

Two major divisions maybe - TN and KY. Both states are relatively short states considering the height of each state would be combined would equal the length of them - roughly. Geographically, some travel times would be cut down for some. That would make for a lot of schools for a much stronger league. There would be a strong rivalry aspect between the winners of each division since their will be state ties in a championship game.

I think looking at the inevitable split here too (for whatever reason), that this would be a great thing. Any thoughts from anyone?

To play outside of each other...they would have to be recognized by the NFHS.

If not...they would be limited to playing each other only. I really don't think it would solve the travel problem that has been mentioned by most privates as to the reason they don't want a split.

To play outside of each other...they would have to be recognized by the NFHS.

If not...they would be limited to playing each other only. I really don't think it would solve the travel problem that has been mentioned by most privates as to the reason they don't want a split.

There might not be a choice in the travel issues if the split happens anyway. Not to mention, they are experiencing those now. It would help some, not others. And I don't know if I would like to play the publics at all. They will be second rate. That's why a larger base of schools to play would be better with a combined private association that spans a couple of states. Not to mention the other private school associations that are cropping up across the country.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

1. Tennessee teams would be complaining about having to play Ft. Campbell.

2. Five hour bus rides to eastern KY.

3. Officiating in KY. (just something to do until basketball season)

4. Getting to play 5 teams in a row that run the wing-T. (KY)

I think that it would be too large of an area to govern proficiently.

1. Tennessee teams would be complaining about having to play Ft. Campbell.

Privates aren't the ones complaining about playing others.

2. Five hour bus rides to eastern KY.

Memphis and chattanooga teams are facing this weekly all ready. It's an easier drive from Chattanooga to eastern KY than to Memphis ... way easier.

3. Officiating in KY. (just something to do until basketball season)

Not even going to justify this one with a response.

4. Getting to play 5 teams in a row that run the wing-T. (KY)

Actually the privates in KY are the ones with the high powered offenses (compared to the publics). But if you just watch a little TN football, you get that a lot here too.

I think that it would be too large of an area to govern proficiently.

See #2 - Not any more than they are already experiencing.

Not a Bad Idea But thier are a few issues.

Northern KY already has a Semi-seperate league and they dont care if a school is private or public, aid or nonaid they all play under the same league no problems. http://www.kentucky.ihigh.com/nkac. It has 270 member schools.

The Parent KHSAA only has about 220 Schools So this would eliminate a large number of teams from your mix.

KY is a common wealth state wich means the Government has their fingers in everything even independent schools..They eventually have to answer to the state KHSAA and I dont think a league from TN with no state controlls would go over very well in a state where even the seperate league has to answer to the state league.

Travel is they Key(I Mean Money).. Currently only teams that are traveling across state are the DIV II Teams. Thats only 26 teams and nobody but those schools and parents (Like ME) of kids in DivII really care.

The defection from DivII of Goodpasture, Knox-Catholic & Notre Dame and others show that AD's would rather save the $$$'s, Decrease the risks of long trips and take the chance on winning a few less games. Thier schools are full and they have waiting lists to get in. They will draw bigger crowds (More Money)to their home games if the games are regional.

Other than the behind the scenes talk and complaints I dont think you'll see too many of the private schools fighting the multiplier or looking to form a independent league. Even If it was 2.5 I think they would bend over and take it.. I do think you will see the Public schools and those like "Antwan" keep pushing for a total split since there is no benefit for them not too.

I think to solve this problem you have to follow the money. Throw out Parity, Fairness, Nondescrimination, Competition, Sportsmanship and any other good quality Highschool sports is about and get down to good old fashion American GREED. Here is how it will end. 1. Privates band together and Sue the TSSAA for megamillions over discrimination.. Hit them in the pocket book and cause the split and a independent league is formed or the end of DIVII & the mulitplier (dont look for this anytime soon)...or 2. Give the Public Schools some kind of Financial (they already get my taxes)or other type of incentives to play private schools and they will shut up for a while.(Basic Extortion)

Dhack

Having all the private schools in Division II would decrease the travel, as a whole. It's been pointed out (by me and others) many times. That's not an issue. Nobody wants a 350-student Brentwood Academy winning the state in football against schools six times larger, which could happen in a merit system so that's not the answer either. Some private schools just want to continue beating public schools, win 7 or 8 games at least every year and call themselves a quality program.

Having all the private schools in Division II would decrease the travel, as a whole. It's been pointed out (by me and others) many times. That's not an issue. Nobody wants a 350-student Brentwood Academy winning the state in football against schools six times larger, which could happen in a merit system so that's not the answer either. Some private schools just want to continue beating public schools, win 7 or 8 games at least every year and call themselves a quality program.

Maybe less travel than the current Division II, but still far more than the vast majority of D-I teams (with the odd exceptions, like Cumberland and White Counties, that are geographically forced). Especially hard hit would be isolated privates like Columbia Academy.

And as for your second assertion, while I don't much care for Brentwood Academy specifically, I have no problem with a smaller school getting its shot at the best teams in the state if it earns it.

Not a Bad Idea But thier are a few issues.

Northern KY already has a Semi-seperate league and they dont care if a school is private or public, aid or nonaid they all play under the same league no problems. http://www.kentucky.ihigh.com/nkac. It has 270 member schools.

The Parent KHSAA only has about 220 Schools So this would eliminate a large number of teams from your mix.

That's physically impossible--all NKAC schools are also required to be KHSAA. More like 27, by the count I saw. It's simply a conference within KHSAA for schools in the Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati, much like the KIL here in Tennessee. (But more cohesive, because schools' district games take up very little of the season, leaving more room for conference games.)

Nobody wants a 350-student Brentwood Academy winning the state in football against schools six times larger, which could happen in a merit system so that's not the answer either. Some private schools just want to continue beating public schools, win 7 or 8 games at least every year and call themselves a quality program.

Nobody wants a small school beating the larger school? Hogwash. I think it is great when a small school takes down a giant. Hoosiers ring a bell. Example we love to beat Soddy in softball, we just don't do it very often, first time ever in 2003.

I do not think there are any private schools that are just out to beat the publics. I think they are out there to beat everyone. They all count don't they. If you aren't trying to win every game you aren't a quality program.

I am for a playoff split. Not a regular season split. Most public supporters could live with that. You could not. You think there is a conspiracy theory. The fact is there will always be dominant programs in all sports. If you remove the privates, there will be a public school in every division that will come out on top year end and year out. There is one in your back yard in South Pitt. Look at Riverdale. Riverdale and Franklin were the major players in getting the TSSAA to vote the aid schools into a seperate division. Once that occured Riverdale has ruled the roost. Once there is a total split there will be two or three programs in A and AA that will take the majority of the championships in every sport. What do you do then? Well the only answer is MERIT. And then a little old 350 school David may just beat the Goliath.

Maybe less travel than the current Division II, but still far more than the vast majority of D-I teams (with the odd exceptions, like Cumberland and White Counties, that are geographically forced). Especially hard hit would be isolated privates like Columbia Academy.

And as for your second assertion, while I don't much care for Brentwood Academy specifically, I have no problem with a smaller school getting its shot at the best teams in the state if it earns it.

Columbia Academy could be in a midstate 1A region with crosstown Zion Christian, Mt Juliet Christian, Nashville Christian, St Andrews and Clarksville Academy. The only long drive in that would be Clarksville Academy, and that would be just once every 2 years. Clarksville Academy could balance the schedule to go to St Andrew's one year and the Columbia schools another year, to get a break every other year and not force 3 such trips in a season. There's ways of getting it done.