Quality Of Officiating

dlm37015

There have always been bad calls in high school sports, and there always will be! The officials are only human, and there will never be instant replay due to the high costs of the equipment and operating it.

For the most part, I think the officiating is pretty good. They usually work as a team, and discuss anything that they think they can improve before, during, ad after the game.

Sometimes you can get a guy that just isn't ready for the "Friday Night Lights". It falls upon his officiating teammates to either get him ready quickly, or get him out until he is ready.

I have no idea how many officials have filed a report against another official, but I suspect that it needs to happen a little more often.

To claim that an entire officiating crew made every call one way or the other is just plain nonsense. That would require collusion from all involved, and that is a criminal act.

Edited by The Sports Guy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be wrong with the home team making an extra copy of the game film and handing it to the White Hat after the game? Most teams start dubbing copies as soon as the game is over or can burn a officials' copy as they are taping. Just let the crew get together after the smoke has cleared Wednesday night and look at film as a crew. No fans or coaches around. The technology is there. If the officials are so sure they got it right, wouldn't a little self study help them get better.

The attitude of some officials is what gets me. Last week I saw a White Hat refused to bring out the chains on a third and very short. The coach of the offense finally convinced the guy on his side to intervene, the sticks came out and it was first down by about three inches. The White Hat was willing to eye ball it from mid-field and was wrong. He had a burr under his saddle the rest of the night. What's the big hurry, these birds are getting $80 each.

Oh....don't forget...if you are the one that drives, you get an additional $10 for gas. Maybe that's why some of them are in a bad mood before the game begins, I'm sure they have a heck of a fight over who gets to drive. B)

That would explain any "Hometown" calls!

$10 worth of gas would get you......hmmmmm.....let me think......hmmmmm?!?

I'm not sure it would get you to the next gas station!

B)

All of these experts that can correctly make every call from the stands need to apply with the TSSAA and bring their abilities down to the field. I'm sure that since they know so much and are so much better at it, the quality of officials will increase drastically by next season. Let me offer any of you a very low paying job, no benefits, travel involved, hostile environments (at least 50% of the fans hate you no matter what call you make) and countless numbers of eyes watching your every move and criticizing every call that goes against their team. Most officials are competent and are out there because they love the game (it certainly isn't to get rich). There are a few that should not be at the Varsity level just yet. But the reason they are there is that there isn't an abundance of people lined up to fill their spot and there is a minimum number of officials required in order to have games on Friday night. Think of how many high school games there are on every Friday night. The only other option would be to split the games up on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and let the "better" officiating crews work a different game each night. People are too content to pay their $5 and sit in the stands and about the refs instead of doing something to help eleviate the problems.

It's not the calls that bother me as much as the lack of accountability. I realize it is a tough job ( impossible to be perfect), I realize all officials are going to make mistakes. I also realize that 99% have no bias and truly want to do the best that they can (some do bring personal feelings onto the field). My only problem is with the evaluation process. I am more familiar with our basketball officials than football. But I know that there was not a supervisor at a single basketball game to evaluate the officials all of last year (our games only). I think this is rediculous. If an official chose to, and I realize 99% of the time they don't, the official could make any call he/she wanted to and determine the outcome of a game. Sending tape in to TSSAA is a waste of time.... There needs to be open communication between TSSAA, officials, and coaches. I just think the system could use a little tweaking. By the way this is not just a Tennessee problem, I have heard the same thing all of the country.